Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teach2007

Fireplace over TV pictures Anyone???

teach2007
16 years ago

Because of the layout of my floorplan, I want to put a fireplace in the corner with a TV above it. I want the TV in a built-in cabinet with doors. Does anyone have pictures of such a thing???

Comments (21)

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

I found this for you online...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1495051}}

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

And this one...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1495052}}

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

And one more...

I found these by searching Google images for "corner fireplace TV". Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1495053}}

• teach2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just realized I typed "Fireplace over TV" instead of TV over fireplace... OOPS!!! :)

• jojoco
    16 years ago

Not exactly what you are after, but this is what we did in our master bedroom:

Jo

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

uh-oh. them thar are fightin' words!

the concept of a tv over a fireplace is is a dangerous topic around here! people have very set opinions on fireplaces over tv's. it's absolutely a love it or hate it situation. just try a little search on the subject and you'll see what I mean...

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

sheesh. I did it, too! I said fireplace over a tv. now THAT would be interesting!

• too_picky
    16 years ago

Now, we're going to do this in our house, but we've moved the TV and fireplace to a flush wall and out of the corner. This is largely because we are having a seven channel speaker system installed and it is quite difficult (though not impossible) to have good sound when the TV is in a corner.

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

(carefully backing away from the keyboard).....

• fairytalebaby
    16 years ago

(Smiling because I know we're putting our tv over our fp and I'm just not going to post those pictures when the time comes!!!!!!)

There are many things that we have chosen that we'll enjoy in our home that would make designers cringe. That's why we won't invite them over!

• jojoco
    16 years ago

My dh worships the tv. He just does. Not only is there one over the fireplace, there is one in our bedroom and three, (yes, three) in our basement. One front and center, one mounted near the bar, and one mounted by the pool table. It was an argument that I was doomed to lose right off the bat. However, I went over budget and then some on my stone floor in the kitchen, so I don't say a word about the tv. Here is my reason for not arguing:

jo

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

zone 8 grandma, thanks for making me laugh. you knew I was thinking of you!!! truce??? :)

anyway, here is my tv over the fireplace photo. I have to admit, it doesn't look quite the way it's supposed to yet. We still have to finish the fireplace. DH is going to put a stone front on the entire fireplace front and a hearth and, of course, a mantle. I think that's slated for this winter's project.

Oh, and DH's Archie Bunker recliner is not long for the family room. He snuck it in there temporarily while we were waiting for our couches to be delivered but it's not staying!!!

• jojoco
    16 years ago

Oh KYgirl,
    I've never seen your finished pictures. Your room looks great! I love the loft, wish we had one. You'll laugh at this...my dh got rid of our couches and replaced them with a brown letter sectional. Guess he was channeling your home.
    Jo

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

kygirl, ;)

• bebetokids
    16 years ago

LOL I can only think of 3 other things in our build where DH and I were polar opposites-nothing brings out more drama than where the TV should go.

Of course I lost but won my appliances-don't you know that's how marriages survive-one gives, then gets!

Here is my wall o' wood (a term I got from someone here and have LOVED repeating)-please disregard DH's decorating:

You could just add a cabinet on the top for a corner FP. Problem is even if I know that the FP is gas logs I want them to look real. Lost big time there. I like those cabinets that have the TV lifts so I would make a corner FP look like a real one and put a cabinet in my BR with a TV lift. Good luck!

jojoco-is that a real tree?

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

bebetokids, that's pretty funny about the wall o' wood. I like that term! but your wall o' wood is very beautiful and nicely done.

jo, that's funny about the leather sectional! ours are actually two full-size leather couches, placed in an L-shape. I wanted the sectional, but DH said he felt like he'd be stuck with one decorating option forever with a sectional. which we still are with the couches, but whatever...he thinks he has options and I guess that's all that matters! we love the loft, too. it was DH's add to the plans and it really worked out nicely. he simply widened the upstairs hallway to create the loft.

z8grandma, I have oft repeated your now famous (in my mind, at least) lipstick phrase to my friends. It makes me laugh now and I swear I'm even going to fit it into the story I'm writing about how to install a TV over a fireplace. that people need to do as much as possible to avoid that potentially unfortunate result. I am sorry I was such a grouch about it all back then. I had definitely lost my sense of humor somewhere during the build. I think it was buried in the concrete in the basement.

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

not to hijack this thread, but I had posted a link earlier for some finished house pics of mine. I'll find it and bump it up. the pics are not good and don't show much decorating, etc, but we're in the midst of doing an adoption and the agency needed pics of our house so I snapped a few fast ones and decided I might as well post them here since I had them handy.

• jojoco
    16 years ago

Okay, full hijacking...Kygirl, my fingers are crossed for you in your adoption quest. With the patience,(and restraint)that you have shown during the building process, you will no doubt make a wonderful mom.
    Keep us posted.
    Jo

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

oh, thanks, jo. that's such a kind thing for you to say. we've had a very tough time emotionally this year with the build and our losses, but pursuing adoption has given us hope again. we're even buying nursery stuff for the first time ever and it feels wonderful. DH dismantled his desk and moved it to the rear guest bedroom so that we can use the front upstairs bedroom as our nursery.

(hijack complete. now back to our regularly scheduled programming...)

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

jojoco,

I know how you feel about TVs! URRGH; however, my DH absolutely loves his TV. so your post was most appreciated. We will have 6, possibly 7 and we do not have a finished basement! (Master Bedroom, Master Bath, His Office, Great Room, Kitchen, 1 or 2 on covered patio.) SIGH

Teresa

• flgargoyle
    16 years ago

I'm firmly in the no-TV-over-fireplace camp, but I have to admit- these are some beautiful solutions! And bebetokids- I would have that in my house in a minute! As a matter of fact, that idea is going in my design folder. The only thing I would do different would be to not have knobs on the doors. That's the only give-away that there's anything behind that gorgeous wood. I'm struggling with my house design, because I want a lovely home that happens to be only about 1200 sq/ft. Our current LR is kind of an antiques museum- a bit of a waste, actually, because no one ever goes in there. But a solution like that would make the LR livable.