Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jairosmom

Paint and Drywall

Michelle
9 years ago

Hi there....

Just met with painting contractor for our build, which spurred a few questions:

1). I love smooth, perfect finish trim. This guy brushes (not sprays) and looked at me like I was nuts when I said I wanted sprayed trim. I even went so far as to go look at a house he did...it wasn't awful, but it wasn't the look I want. Is it common to brush trim?

2). Painter uses water based acrylics for trim. Thoughts on that versus oils?

3). Painter uses Pittsburgh paints. Thoughts on this brand?

4). Painter was doing his best to talk me out of flat ceilings. Now I'm wondering. We do plan on using shiplap in main ceiling areas (kitchen, dining, living), but I still hate the look of textured ceilings. Thoughts on this?

Thank you! I appreciate all feedback!

Comments (6)

• lizzieplace
    9 years ago

Hi michelle! Only reason I see for #4 is because it is hard to do. Texture is easier and more forgiving. When we were beginning our build, the builder was priding his company in offering textures as part of their standard, whereas other builders charge extra (we don't know anything about these things, so we thought we were getting something better!). During the building process, we wanted some walls to have wallpaper. We were told having smooth walls is an upcharge because it is more work :/ We don't like texture either but we just chose the very faintest orange peel for the rest of the walls because we didn't want another upcharge. But to do the very same thing on the ceiling would be an upcharge because they told us it is difficult to do on the ceiling. I can only imagine the work it entails to have the ceilings smooth. That is why I think painter is trying to talk you out of it.

• cat_ky
    9 years ago

I agree. It is more work to have the smooth ceilings, but, for me, I would prefer to pay the upcharge, and cut back somewhere else that I could easily change later on, when more money was available to do so.

I have seen painters do both spray and brush. To use a brush, takes a very high quality paint brush, and also floetrol in the paint so it flows out smoothly. It sounds like your painter does not do that. Oil paints (if you are using white), yellow in a very short period of time. Acrylic will stay nice and white and can be touched up, if necessary. Once the oil yellows, it is very hard to do touchups. You may want to hire another painter for your trim, if you want it sprayed. Since your painter is not wanting to do it, I am betting, he has no experience spraying and probably would not do a good job of it.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Our painter sprays trim but we never got into specifics because we were doing all stained woodwork. I know for sure he sprayed it though. Also, we opted for light texture because of the up charge. Some of the drywallers didn't even offer and or house has lots of natural shadows so getting the finish right would've been a nightmare I am sure. I suggest talking to another painter or too though, at least to gauge the status quo in your area.

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Michelle, the only comment I can make is about the texture. I've always lived in the eastern part of the US, and in the last 20 years or so all walls and ceilings are smooth, so it's all I've ever known as an adult and so, is my preference. My brother lives in CA and "orange peel" is standard. He's gotten used to it. I rented a home that had a "popcorn" ceiling and never got used to it. Long story, but my feeling is if you want smooth walls/ceiling, you should have it.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Michelle-

1) oh yes - me too. LOVE! My experience - we sprayed our own and they are pretty good. However - I have to say there were about 3 pieces of trim that we put on after we painted due to flooring and stuff and I rolled those with a special roller and I don't see much of a difference if at all. I was pleasantly surprised. I haven't brushed any though. If the paint is a very good self leveling possibly no brush marks? I don't know.

2) I would definitely go with water based.

3) Have you seen his work-I'd judge that first? I have used a lot of different paints. I don't prefer Pittsburgh but I was doing a garage project and didn't buy their premium line so who knows? Plus-I think some thought has to be toward your painter using what he is comfortable with. If you introduce something completely different that he isn't used to it might produce not as good of a result? I know I have had that even with rollers. Some are just not great no matter how good a painter you are. What I have learned first and foremost with this build is that your paint job is only as good as the drywall and trim you are covering. I have always done the painting and in our last house no issues really since it was existing. In this one I had no idea how the drywall would be left and that the painters job involved so much sanding - I am not a great sander.......and I can see the texture differences in a couple places. Bummer and I only have myself to be frustrated with!

4) I don't think I have ever been in a house with smooth ceilings. In our last home we had crows foot. In this one we went with the same thing - very light texture. I really like it. My bil and sil have skip trowel? That's not bad either but more pronounced than we have. I went smooth in the bathrooms and I think I actually prefer the crows foot. What are you used to? If you can't stand what they offer I think chances are you won't like it once it's done. If you are more indifferent and just questioning you may not mind.

5) (making my own category now) Since I get the feeling you are kind of particular (takes one to know one, :D) about walls and trim you may not be happy with a smooth ceiling if it's not perfect. It would drive me nuts if I could see things up there I tell ya. I am much happier with my slight texture than if I had smooth with some imperfections......that's just me though.

• nini804
    9 years ago

We have smooth ceilings and they are pretty perfect as far as I can tell...they look just like the walls. Our builder uses oil based paint for the trim, and I love it. In our previous house we had regular water based semi-gloss on the tim and this is so much better. It wears like iron, and ours is very white with no yellowing so far.