Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qbryant

Architect or draftsman?

qbryant
9 years ago

I plan in building a home that looks like this barn,hardie b&b,hardie lap and Colored corragated tin.The interior is more modern,minor trim around base and windows,all white and some exposed joist or celing,no built ins or major items except stair design,I have talked to a few builders in my area and both say I don't need a architect(aia) and to just use a draftsman,I have found one architect 3 hours and one out of state I really like,both prices are 7%.
I am afraid the house won't turn out as (cool/nice/energy efficient/etc)with using just a draftsman as both builders build very nice home but they are more country style.
Just looking for some advise as we are getting close to getting started.
What will I get in a set of architects plans vs draftsman plans.
I really want to use the architect thats across the country but not using one can help me afford more(marvin windows or standing seam roof).

This post was edited by qbryant on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 21:28

Comments (23)

• qbryant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Exterior

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Too many variables and too little information for anyone to know who you should hire. The important issues are how much professional level design work you want done and who will take the lead and whether you want representation on the job site. If you want full architectural services you should make shire your builder is willing to work in that relationship. Distance could be a problem.
    Where is the site?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If that's what you really want, I'd say go with an architect...there are too many design elements, structural elements and moving parts for the typical draftsperson to handle. I'm just looking at the open spaces, the blank spaces, the proportions, the scale, the structure and lack thereof in the inspiration pics...there's a lot there that can turn your modern clean-lined space into a barn very quickly.

The simpler the design, the more complex it can be to build...

The thing is, if you want an architect, you should try to find one more local in that the build will really benefit from on-site visits...hard to do or $$$$ if s/he's across the state or country.

• mojomom
    9 years ago

I agree with Annie's thoughts. I really like your concept in the right setting, but proportions are critical. Because of the simplicity, there is nothing to hide behind if the lines and proportions are off even a little bit.

• qbryant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The problem is most architects I have talked to in the state(Oklahoma) are not interested because they want a percentage,and 250-280 is our budget,it's 2300 sf and we have talked to builders and getting rough estimates of 95-105 sf.
    We thank that's low but it can be done for under 280,the architects seems really interested until I tell them my budget,some are insane in the design build firms,they want like 300sf and that is nuts.
    We are in Oklahoma and really like a architect in vermont,but he's in vermont,we found another 3 hours away we like but he just don't have much of a portfolio.
    Any recomindation on architects?

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Your budget IS low for your project. Simple is harder to do well and IS more expensive, not to mention the premium for building something non standard that builders aren't used to creating in your locale. Halve your square footage or double your budget. With at least 8-10% for design fees. Or change to a design style that is readily done by everyone and use a stock plan that a builder has built before. That is what would likely meet your budget.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

I'm a bit confused. It sounds like you are saying the architect in VT agrees your project can be done with your budget while the architects in OK say it can't. Wouldn't the architects in OK have a better understanding of prices (labor and materials) in your area?

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

If you are close to Stillwater, contact the Head of the School of Architecture (Randy Seitsinger) at Oklahoma State University and ask him for a recommendation.

Good luck on your project.

• qbryant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I never said anything about a architect and budget,that is from local contractors.one said 90-100,one said 95-105,which I think is low.
    Is it half low,I don't think so,ne Oklahoma is cheaper than most areas,both architects agree though that it can be done in the 100-125 if thought out and both of there fees were 7%.
    Thanks Virgil,I will contact him,and thanks to everybody else for responding.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Most modern forms of "tin" roofing (archaic term for tin-lead alloy coated steel roofing) will be out of your budget. You will probably be limited to corrugated galvanized steel with unpainted Galvalume a possible upgrade. No matter how cheap labor is architectural quality materials will stretch a low budget. Composite imitative siding is not cheap and large open interior spaces are difficult to heat and cool. Those wonderful barn-like photos on Houzz are probably twice your budget per SF.

AIA is a professional organization and many architects do not belong to it. I quit it long ago. Firms must bill at 2 or 3 times payroll so find a sole practitioner architect who likes to collaborate with owners and builders. And find a builder who likes to collaborate with architects and to build from complete drawings.

• qbryant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That makes sence,no wonder both architects I found worked alone or with a 1-2 people staff.
    The standing seam roof is 15-20 thousand with standerd ribbed roofing running about 5.
    Corragated colored siding is about the same as hardie once painted,both metals are manufactured 30 min away by mueller metals.

• qbryant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What credentials should I look for?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

I think any time you build what is an exposed framing structure where the structural elements are the decor and the finish, you need a good designer, or it is going to look like a shed. Unless I did not read closely enough, and the interior is to be drywalled, in which case it doesn't matter if the framing looks like a dog's breakfast since it is not exposed.
    Casey

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Casey brings up a good point. If the interior is exposed expect to pay a good deal more for your lumber if it is to be an exposed grade or even if it is regular framing lumber that will be picked thru for the best pieces!

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

You need an architect. And a bigger budget.

• qbryant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All walls will be sheetrocked and with some exposed painted tounge and groove on the celing.Any rafters etc will also be painted.

• 8mpg
    9 years ago

There are many professionals in this thread and Im not one of them. The professionals in this thread from what I have read in the past, dont live in the south. Their budgets and percentages are crazy compared to what stuff costs here in TX.

Being that you are in OK, your budget is plenty. Builders around here can build a tract home for $60/ft. Semi custom homes with a builder are $90-100/ft. I know a builder (personally) that builds in a TX that builds his custom houses for $75/ft (his price..not sales price).

I would just go with a draftsman. Dont listen to the "double your budget or half your house). This isnt the northeast where a normal house is $200/sqft. There was a great thread a while back on a TX house being built for $65/ft self contracted.

Oh, and metal roof isnt THAT expensive. I put a new roof on my own house (my dad and I did it). 40sq of roof from Mueller with all the trim (r panel roof) in galvalume was $3200 for materials. The sales guy said it would be about 15% more for standing seam. I got a quote to install the roof and it was $4000 for install. That being said, a dimensional shingle roof was $10k with tear off and haul away.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

"That makes sence,no wonder both architects I found worked alone or with a 1-2 people staff."

"What credentials should I look for?"

Local licensing for one.

Just from your description, you'll also need an Eng. wet stamp for plan check.

While a local Arch. will be cognizant of the local code changes and updates, are either of them guaranteeing a permit-able set of plans?

Your consideration should include turn-around time for any potential corrections.

Are or have you search for local Arch. who also are lic. eng. and/or general contractors?

• qbryant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No stamp required but I will have it looked at,design build is a option but not for 300sf.
    While I don't want a 100%barn, I do want some texture to go with the simple details,I have three kids so a totally crisp and modern interior is out and a little to steril.

• None Ofyourbusiness
    9 years ago

We are building in a sister state were cost of build is comparatively low and regulations are fairly loose, like in OK. We went with a draftsman that was a former contractor. He became too old to do the day to day physical work, but wanted to stay building. We are doing exposed beam and very straight lines as well. I think finding someone with experience with this style is most important. Because he built houses for 35 years he was able to tell us what would be most structurally sound as well as visually appealing. I would also stay local. You don't want a 10/12 roof pitch, that's common in Vermont, in Oklahoma. The heating and cooling(mostly cooling) will have you screaming when you get your first electric bill! Someone more local will be a big help in making your home more livable.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

",design build is a option"

Sorry.

I was not suggesting design build.

Architects are often, as a business model, Structural Eng, or have partnered with them.

They can also be General contractors.

• qbryant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I figured using a architect that was the GC would be design /build.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

True, that is often the perception and it depends upon a business model.
    Generally, an architects degree satisfies the trade experience requirement for the application process, leaving just the business section of the test to be accomplished.

Several I work with are custom cabinet shops and interior decorators.
    Another is the head of the community development department of a local municipality.

Passion and money.