11 years ago
  • energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

black contracts heat.
    look for NFRC ratings on these windows.

best of luck.

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

We're using a Chestnut color on the outside facing of our windows. They will be highlighted by white window frames.

It will appear black on most days.
    Inside will be just a prime white.

But I think it's a great look you have posted & very modern without being too far out.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

We put in black windows on exterior with white trim and yellow siding.
    Siding was just finished and I do not have good pics. I do plan on painting interior windows black or stain dark in some rooms.
    We went with Kolbe&Kolbe windows and patio doors and felt they were equal to or superior to Marvins at a much more reasonable price point. Our local supplier was excellent to work with.
    There are old pics without siding on the windows forum

• nini804
    11 years ago

We really considered this...our home is brick painted a grayish, off-white color and it would have been a very nice look. Really tempted, but the traditionalist in me won out. :) Love the look!

• supergrrl7
    11 years ago

I am leaning toward black or charcoal grey windows with white trim, but we are several years away from beginning our build. A friend of mine has similar windows in a house built in the 40s (I think) and they look really nice.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

we plan on using the new Marvin Integrity Tri-panes with the new exterior black finish in our build starting next week. The wood on the inside allows us to either stain or paint. I do plan on painting some dark frames just like you show. A great, contemporary look.

• LE
    11 years ago

We used black Marvin fiberglass windows in our garage. But they were white on the inside and we wanted black interiors in the house (not built yet) as shown in your example. We are switching to Milgard so we can get black inside and outside. We didn't want to either paint or stain either side (and excessive heat is not a problem where I live).

Here is a link that might be useful: another thread on black windows

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"excessive heat is not a problem where I live"

You do not get sunshine?

• LE
    11 years ago

Not as much (sunshine) as we'd like! And not in the afternoon. Dark windows are not uncommon here. And doesn't fiberglass have a relatively low heat conductivity?

• pps7
    11 years ago

We have black windows on the exterior. Chickened out on the interior butlove the look. One day, I'm going to paint the interior black too.

• rmverb
    8 years ago

We're considering doing black windows on the exterior. I love the look of dark windows on the interior as well.

• amberm145
    8 years ago

Yes, but we've got a very modern style of house. Ours are vinyl, from Innotech.

• neonweb US 5b
    8 years ago

We have black fiberglass exteriors with wood interiors that I had painted white from the factory, but you may be able to pick black interior paint- not sure. mine are marvin integrity line, and contrary to what everyone told me, I got them cheaper than the competitor's for the same materials. I also got marvins black fiberglass brick mould casing to frame the exterior of the windows and really give them an extra pop. our runner up was Anderson; which makes a bronze exterior which I would call black with a brown undertone. It may or may not be another option for you. Good luck!

• Sanford W.
    8 years ago

Black windows were often used in Colonial Revival and other eclectic revival houses. They made the windows look larger on the outside and smaller on the inside.

Of course in traditional houses the interior would have been dark wood. The use of black interior painted sash is likely to appear industrial without the elegance of steel frames like the ones in France.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    8 years ago

I used black Koble windows on my house. You can see them in my profile pictures.

• rmverb
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Were mostl likely going to go with a color scheme similar this. I got sample of these fiber cement shakes in this color and it is very niice. I think the trim color compliments the grey siding and the black windows very well.

The Reserve at Lake Keowee II · More Info

Traditional Exterior · More Info

• juddgirl2
    8 years ago

I have bronze aluminum clad wood windows, with the bronze clad material on the exterior and white painted wood on the inside. I like the look but after 7 years of direct sun, the bronze has definitely discolored on the two large southwest facing windows. We're on the west coast.

• tcufrog
    8 years ago

I love the look of black windows but my worry is whether I'll be able to match the windows if one needs to be replaced a decade down the road.

• amberm145
    8 years ago

Tcufrog, I've had to replace windows in my 25 year old house, and they don't replace the frame, they just replace the glass (even double pain sealed units). In the new house, a couple of the frames had defects, so they ordered new frames, and the glass units went in separately.

• DeeDee
    6 years ago

Le, two yrs down the road, are you happy with your Milgard windows? Still hard to find black fiberglass interiors at a reasonable price and good quality.

• DeeDee
    5 years ago

So, we did decide on the black windows. Selected Marvin Ultrex fiberglass casement and awning windows. I'm very happy with the appearance. Other reviews will have to wait until we move in, hopefully December.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Actually there's a really nice home with black windows over on the Sept 2018 thread. Amiebeth is her name, she can probably tell you all about them. They're getting ready to move in!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource