RE: Has anyone put in black windows?

o

black contracts heat.
look for NFRC ratings on these windows.

best of luck.

o

We're using a Chestnut color on the outside facing of our windows. They will be highlighted by white window frames.

It will appear black on most days.
Inside will be just a prime white.

But I think it's a great look you have posted & very modern without being too far out.

o

We put in black windows on exterior with white trim and yellow siding.
Siding was just finished and I do not have good pics. I do plan on painting interior windows black or stain dark in some rooms.
We went with Kolbe&Kolbe windows and patio doors and felt they were equal to or superior to Marvins at a much more reasonable price point. Our local supplier was excellent to work with.
There are old pics without siding on the windows forum

o

We really considered this...our home is brick painted a grayish, off-white color and it would have been a very nice look. Really tempted, but the traditionalist in me won out. :) Love the look!

o

I am leaning toward black or charcoal grey windows with white trim, but we are several years away from beginning our build. A friend of mine has similar windows in a house built in the 40s (I think) and they look really nice.

o

we plan on using the new Marvin Integrity Tri-panes with the new exterior black finish in our build starting next week. The wood on the inside allows us to either stain or paint. I do plan on painting some dark frames just like you show. A great, contemporary look.

o

We used black Marvin fiberglass windows in our garage. But they were white on the inside and we wanted black interiors in the house (not built yet) as shown in your example. We are switching to Milgard so we can get black inside and outside. We didn't want to either paint or stain either side (and excessive heat is not a problem where I live).

Here is a link that might be useful: another thread on black windows

o

"excessive heat is not a problem where I live"

You do not get sunshine?

o

Not as much (sunshine) as we'd like! And not in the afternoon. Dark windows are not uncommon here. And doesn't fiberglass have a relatively low heat conductivity?

o

We have black windows on the exterior. Chickened out on the interior butlove the look. One day, I'm going to paint the interior black too.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here