Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenbl_gw

Toilet room and shower sizes

JenBL
9 years ago

I'm not loving the layout our designer has come up with for our masterbath and I'm trying to come up with some other ideas. Our room is basically 12 x 12.

We are going to have the toilet in it's own closet - what is the recommended minimum size for that room?

And he has our shower drawn up as 4 feet long - it seems small in the drawing. What's the average size these days for a nice master shower? I don't want to fit the whole family in there - just a nice amount of space!

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• kelbrad7
    9 years ago

Our current toilet room is 6'x3'6", and the shower is 4'x6'. Both are comfortable. My husband is a big guy and doesn't want to feel cramped in those areas! We have two shower heads, and there's plenty of room for two people. The toilet room in the new house is also 6'x3'6". We have a door that swings in, and these measurements give plenty of room for that. I think the length could be shortenened with a pocket door. Our new shower is 8'9"x4', but that includes an area to walk in without a door.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I purchased the NKBA guidelines book from Amazon precisely for these kinds of questions.

Minimum width of a toilet room is 30", recommended is 36". That's inside the walls, after drywall. And that's assuming you don't need ADA access.

Minimum depth is 60" with an outswing door, 66" is recommended.

Shower size, 36"x36" is recommended, although most people here would call that too small. My current shower is the minimum 30"x30", so I am positively giddy at the idea of 36"x60". But many here would chastise me for making it so small. 4' would be luxurious to me, and any bigger would be a waste, because you can't get the water spraying much further than that, and if you aren't getting wet, why are you in the shower? (I turn the head away when I'm shampooing my hair.)

I visited a lot of open houses with a tape measure, and tried out a lot of showers to get an idea of what's comfortable to me. Bathroom showrooms, too. You might want to try that out.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

One person shower or 2?
    4 feet is luxurious for a one-person shower because the water only goes so far. But, if it will be a 2-person shower, or have multiple heads, etc, then you can go bigger.

Mine is probably minimum sized for a 2 person shower/nice for a 1 person shower at 36x60. But, my entire bathroom is less than 1/2 the size of yours, so, you should easily be able to go larger.

However, it may be the shape of your bathroom (a square) that is really your limiting factor, as there will likely be a large area of floor space in the middle that doesn't "function" as anything (except room to move).

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

I haven't used them yet, we're still in construction. But our shower is 4x5 and our toilet room is 3x6, with a pocket door. Shower is complete and sheetrock and doors in, they seem very adequate to me, I'm happy with them. Our total bath size is 11'7" by 10' I believe.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

My current shower is 3' x 4' . . . and it's a comfortable size. I never touch the walls while I'm showering, so it's plenty of space.

However, we're building our new shower larger for two reasons:
    - We want to avoid a door, which means we must recess the shower head in a deeper shower.
    - This is our forever house, so we want it to function as we age. We want space for a stool (which would never fit in our current shower). We want space for a rainforest shower head AND an adjustable showerhead mounted on the wall.

• patriceny
    9 years ago

My toilet room is 3x6 too. It works ok as long as the occupant isn't HUGE. If I could do it over, I'd make the room a smidge wider anyway though. It is tight to get between the toilet and the wall to clean.

• bird_lover66
    9 years ago

If your shower is too large, it is difficult to stay warm, imo. We vacation in a house with a huge shower, and, frankly, I don't like it.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Toilet room: 39" x 93" with toilet and bidet at either end and door in the middle of long wall.

Shower: 45" x 81" with 2 shower heads and includes an 18" deep bench on the short wall. Plenty big for one person and just enough for two people.