Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaveswave

About to build (gulp! :-)

leaveswave
9 years ago

We're planning to build a house. Have owned before, and done moderate remodeling, so we know enough to know we have little idea what we're getting into!

The tight schedule we'll have and our ignorance has me a little nervous. I'm looking to avoid "reinventing the wheel" if I can tap the hive mind of collective experience!

Questions, with background info interspersed:

► We'll be working with an architect, not a designer. Our prefs are non-mainstream enough that we think we'd be happier with the result. They're telling us 3 months to get to the detailed plans stage. What can I do to shorten that? We've given lots of general prefs and lifestyle info, does it really take them 3 months to come up with a plan? What are we going to need to decide or specify during this phase?

► We want to keep costs down as much as possible. Where something is important to us, we're willing to get what we want. Fortunately, in many respects we have very modest tastes. We're a couple; middle-aged, no kids, and living in the MSP metro area. The much ballyhoed "resale" consideration is not generally a high one for us. What can we do (besides any of the construction/finishing--we're not handy) soften the blow to our pocketbook? Online shopping, running around town, pre-buying items--these we can do, but will they help much? How do we find a builder to work with us in this respect, and what would that entail/look like?

Would particulars of what we're planning to build be helpful? Examples of where we would splurge and where we won't?

If I've left anything else out, ask away. Otherwise, please share your if-I-knew-then-what-I-know-now experiences, tips, and advice.

Comments (21)

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Shortening the '3 months to detailed plans' stage' is a tossup, in my opinion.

We hired a designer, and while HE felt he was ready to proceed at that point, we were still questioning the design. (And sure enough, his idea came in WAY over budget).
    A year later, we're still designing.
    So it depends on how picky you are, how well your needs/wants/budget align, and how well you and your designer share the same 'vision'.

In any case, welcome aboard, and GOOD LUCK!

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Only way to shorten the lead time with the architect that I am aware of is to pay more money, expedited plans cost more if he is even willing to consider it. It does not necessarily take three months but your not his only client, and he has a schedule.

• stefsims
    9 years ago

We will be breaking ground in about 18 months and just started working with an architect. It's been over 3 weeks, and we haven't received our preliminary plan yet (he has lots of plans he's doing). I say, don't rush the process, because that's where it gets stressful and you start making costly mistakes.

Find out if your builder charges per sq ft, or by the cost-plus method (with a choice of trades/contractors). If the latter, you can tell them you want to use certain places/online stores , etc. They may still add a percentage on top of it (10-12%) because they will arrange installation, etc.

Hope this helps!

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Revise your timeline. The absolute worst thing you can do is to set a hard and fast artificially induced deadline for a project that forces everyone into cutting corners. A creative endeavor should have a more open ended completion date. Setting yourself up for failure just makes everyone unhappy with the project, you most of all.

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We're going to take a construction loan and the seller wants a close asap. Plus I ain't gettin' any younger! ;-) We plan to do it right as best we can, but don't have the time, interest, or overly idealistic beliefs we had thirty years ago to lollygag around.

Architect says less than 3 mo. is not more expensive, but more stressful. If we can get a start on some of the decisions beforehand, then more power to us.

Architect (not a solo designer but full architect design firm) will create plans detailed enough to qualify for the loan and put out to bid. Guessing we'll have to specify appliances? finishes? what-all-I-don't-know? Just wanting a little more idea how it all goes...

Thanks for the tip on builder's charges method--very helpful!

This post was edited by leaveswave on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 11:43

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Cheap - fast - good. Pick any two. No way can you have all three.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

If you have a very definite timeline, then you really should consider buying an existing home. You aren't going to make that timeline with a new custom build. Maybe a tract build, where a builder is doing a whole subdivision from 7 different plans could meet your timeframe, but not a custom build.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

"Thanks for the tip on builder's charges method--very helpful!", builders do not and really cannot charge by the square foot as there are two many variables.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

We thought we knew for sure what we wanted and tried to rush architectural process. That just caused mistakes. We started on Feb with architect and are just now breaking ground.

• redheadeddaughter
    9 years ago

Two things I wish I'd known at the beginning:
    1) The architect/designer (we had a designer, but others I know had an architect with a similar experience) will always say 2-3 months. It is rarely 2-3 months even if you can decide on everything very quickly and you have an unlimited budget. The turnaround time took 4-6 weeks usually for every version, with me calling frequently to keep the momentum going. It takes us 24 hours to review a plan and get all changes back to the designer, so the hold up wasn't with us. We had 3 "versions" with minor changes (like adding storage and changing windows and one early change in the kitchen) and it was 8 months plus to get a final design out plus more for the construction documents needed to actually pull the permits and bid it out. If we had more time, we absolutely would have made numerous other changes in our design, but we just didn't have the patience to wait around for them. Out of those 8 months, our input time was less than 3 days total (amount of time they were waiting for us to comment or make changes). Unless they are really slow or have a very large group, I would expect at least 6 months. A big surprise for me was the amount of time it took to prepare something as simple as a lighting plan. Unless you trust someone else to make all those decisions for you, that process alone can take 3 weeks or more. And if your county requires any kind of green code compliance, that could be a whole 'nother added item to the timeline. The structural engineer might need to stamp your plans, and possibly a geologist may need to look at the foundation. And then once you get those back, you and the architect may need to make more changes. A lot of it depends on your local codes.

2) Whatever they tell you the house will cost to build, add at least 30%. The way my mom put it: "It will cost twice as much and take twice as long as you think." I thought she was such a cynic! And laughed when I read those suggestions on this board. There may be some areas where contractors are really hurting for work. In our case it was it was more like 60% over what the designer quoted us, with absolute confidence. So after 6 months plus 2 more months for construction documents, 1 month for structural approval and 6-8 weeks for the bidding process... we realized the house we budgeted so carefully for could not be built for anywhere near the number quoted originally. If I'd known this at the beginning I would have hired a builder to consult with us through the design process on an hourly basis. If you need to keep a close eye on your budget, I think this would be money well spent. I agree with millworkman that square footage does not seem to be the main determiner.

Even so, we still haven't been able to find a house that meets our needs for anywhere near the cost to build. Multi-generational homes with land are few and far between around here. There are some communities where the home inventory just isn't there. Ours is one of those and so we are still very excited to have the option to build. So if your desires/needs are really out of the box, it might still be a good fit for you!

• Michelle
    9 years ago

I agree about budget...ours will cost about 50% more than we expected as well.

• LE
    9 years ago

Don't rush the design process. You'll be living with the results for a long long time, with any luck!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Hi redhead! I'd love an update thread from you!

• zippity1
    9 years ago

we found we were happier settling with a very reputable architectural firm who had many online plans to choose from the changes we asked for took about a month extra to complete-by same firm at a nominal cost
    windstorm design (must be done in our area no matter who does the plan) took about a month purchase of plans, changes, and windstorm overview took about 90 days total. cost of all the above was around 5000
    builder was very happy with results and all the above plus the build took about 11 months-we should be writing our check to the builder next friday) several local builders have visited our build and the first thing they want to know is where did we find the plan....

• redheadeddaughter
    9 years ago

annkh: Sigh. Fish and Game and the county's Habitat plan had different interpretations about the salamander impact to our property. So we are kind of at a standstill until that is all figured out and we reach compliance with all the agencies. ... so hopefully I'll have something worth sharing soon. :)

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

The MSP area is one of the major areas in the U.S. where talented and experienced architects do single family residential work and do it very well. So you are located in an area with a lot of architectural talent and experience doing what you want to do.

Every complex project (and a custom designed and built home is a complex project for many home owners) is a function of its early assumptions and decisions.

You say you are not concerned about resale, and so I assume you plan to stay in your home for a long time. Why, therefore, would you want to unduly hurry and rush what is probably the most important stage in the design and construction of a home--the schematic and subsequent design development phases? For that matter, why would you want to rush the subsequent construction documents phase, when everything necessary for estimating and building is duly recorded into the needed drawings and specifications?

It's an all-too-common misjudgment by many homeowners, with little or no building experience, to want to eagerly dispense with all of the critical up-front work and to just launch into construction as quickly as possible. Perhaps it's a case of eagerness over experience; I don't know why this is so common, except perhaps that many first time custom home owners just don't know what's in their best interest in their eagerness to move into their custom designed home. Perhaps it's just a case of excitement outweighing experience...

The early design stages of architectural design are meant to be an exploration that is participative and iterative, that is you participate in a range of explorations with your architect of how your needs and wants might be best designed and built, according to your wishes and your budget. There's an old design saying, "the first idea is never the best idea"! Thus, schematic design is rightly an exploration, leading to what will clearly be the "best idea"!

It's the schematic design stage of a project that can be the most fun and the most exciting phase of a new home, other than occupancy. The rest of the design and construction process which follows is only as good as the whatever was produced in the schematic design phase.

Of course, you know what is important to you and your priorities.

If it was me, I'd want to take as much time (and cost) as necessary in the beginning, to be confident that the end result was going to be what I wanted, and that living there for a long time was going to be enjoyable and enriching every day I occupied the home. That's what would be important to me.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with your project.

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Of course, you know what is important to you and your priorities."
    ==================================================

Best. Comment. Ever.

Thanks to the replies that show respect for this belief.

Although the judgmental and assumptive comments are instructive, too, in their own way.

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

Anyone considering the design of a custom home using an architect who doesn't want to spend the necessary time at the beginning of a project to explore and finalize a responsive design might be much better off to use a stock plan and launch right into construction.

Quicker and likely cheaper would be to buy an existing house.

Good luck on your project.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

I'm afraid the "I wish" for me is not something that I could have corrected? I wish I understood the process more and the ramifications of HVAC here = no electrical there and that sort of thing? The bones of the structure. You can't really (okay I can't really) see that on a simple drawing. I didn't get it or have the forethought to ask about heating and cooling runs and where the cold air returns would be in an open plan (oh gee front and center flanking the fireplace - NOT what I envisioned as a focal point). Once it's built and things are in place it's pretty much too late without incurring extensive cost and I would have rearranged a few things to avoid what at that point could no longer be avoided. Not huge but at the time I was pretty ticked. But - maybe you are good at that sort of thing. I am handy which helps with cost and DIY but I have no vision. ;)

I think from the time our design process started to breaking ground was about 5-6 months? That was with very few changes once we received the first preliminary drawing. We had a house designer - super busy and I wish we'd have spent more time. It's finished and it's fine but I'd have like to have chewed on some things a while longer before going to construction drawings. This is supposedly our forever home - and after all the work we put into it I won't be building again so......a little more time on the front end wouldn't have been a bad idea. We are in our very very very early 40's. Hehehe.

edit: I guess my tip would be if the architect seems really busy, you might want to find another one because they will likely not find themselves with more time once they take you on also. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to 'figure things out' on my own because I felt he was too busy or it would delay things even further. As in I said how about something like this and I got it back exactly like I gave it - well you are the professional and I am *sure* my amateur minds solution isn't the BEST, he spent no time on it. So after that on some other things I thought - it's alright I guess it will work itself out - um no. No it doesn't.

As far as savings - I think sometimes it depends on your builder and what they will allow you to purchase yourself? We were owner build (GC) so I'm not going from personal experience, just what I've read on that one.

If they will allow it, we did get some pretty good deals on sinks, faucets, lights and that sort of thing. Especially around the holidays. Who knew that nearly everything goes on sale around those times, not just toys and gifts?

You say not handy at all - does that also include painting? I painted (I don't mind painting) and there is never a better time than when your home is empty and it does save a nice chunk of change. AND - we painted as many colors as we wanted and it cost no extra. Again - I think your builder would have to be okay with you taking it on. ;)

Good luck. It's quite the ride, but I'm still here talking about it so I made it and you will too, lol.

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 9:57

• musicgal
    9 years ago

leaveswave- I won't speak to your design and timeline concerns because you've already received much advice in that area. I do want to say that one of the primary ways we saved (and got exactly what we wanted) was by using Amazon.com AND local vendors. For example, while living in our rental, I noticed the finish on our soaking tub was one of the easiest to clean that I 'd ever dealt with. My husband and I ordered a jetted tub from the same company- located in town... the tract builders know all about them and use their tubs in bulk all over town. Great tubs and very ergonomically comfortable- and reasonable. Not cheap,but reasonable due to the fact the brand name wasn't Kohler or Jacuzzi. We saved, I estimate, about $500-$1200 on a similar tub, and a lot of that had to do with brand recognition and the location of the manufacturing plant.
    My husband went to the plant and picked it up- and brought it to the site in a van. Cha ching:-)

Another way we saved and are saving is by using our Amazon Prime account for nearly every fixture in the house. Pictured here is a Levon helicopter fan which resembles the very trendy Big A$$ Fans. One of those would really have been too big for our space, but this is perfect. Came to the doorstep courtesy of Brown:-) More than a thousand dollars less expensive than the well known brand. It was also a timesaver for us and time = money in many cases. Most items came in 2-3 days. Some took two weeks but we always ordered ahead.

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Autumn and musicgal--thanks much; that's very helpful to know!

It's amazing how many details there are to houses, isn't it? We take so much for granted living in them... a challenge to consider each nearly invisible element when it's just a drawing!