Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do mulitipoint entry sets come in 2-piece style instead of 1 long

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 8:10

Unsightly thing. I cannot find a nice looking one. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do mulitipoint entry sets come in 2-piece style instead of 1

I don't like the 1-piece long ones either so I just buy a lockable lever and a dead-bolt, both from a matching collection.

o

I can't say that I have seen a 2-piece trim set. Have you looked at many different manufacturers? Maybe Ashley Norton? We are using emtek trim sets on our Anderson patio doors to coordinate with our custom front door. I have to say that I wasn't thrilled when I realized that I had to use a lever on my front door for the multipoint lock, but we have to for impact rating. I know that there are several companies that make trim sets for multipoint locks.

o

A lockable lever and a deadbolt won't guard the door against warping though, right?

o

We had to have a multipoint lock for hurricane impact rating - primarily to meet wind speeds. We live in SW Florida and we either have to shutter the door or meet impact code with the glass and locking mechanism.

We have a 10' deep front porch that will offer some protection for the finish and warping and we chose a type of wood - can't remember the name - that is supposed to do well in our humid climate. We do not have the extreme temps of the north as far as freezing - just hot and humid here for most of the year.

o

Correct threeapples it will not, and I do not recall ever seeing that as an option.

o

I actually prefer the symmetry of the two long plates on the doors versus a knob and a lock on one and a knob on the other. We have the second option in the basement as we don't have multipoint doors down there - less expensive option. We used the Baldwin Estate squared off backplate with a simple beaded lever on our upstairs multipoint doors and I really like them - and I am not a lever person!

I looked at the Omnia multipoint but I don't like the curved backplate and their squared off one was wider, chunkier and more contemporary looking than the Baldwin one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here