Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birchpoints

Opinions on Detached Garage

BirchPoint
9 years ago

This is my house plan and below this I will post a picture of the proposed garage that will be sited behind the house but half way visible from the front. Any feedback on the appearance of these two structures in relation to each other would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• BirchPoint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the proposed garage/apt. Feedback please?

• renovator8
    9 years ago

The main house windows appear unusually small in width and height especially compared to the entrance doors and the garage windows. These windows would not satisfy an emergency escape & rescue requirement if there is a bedroom on the first floor. The mullion patterns are also too different from the garage.

Each leaf of the front door might not meet the a minimum egress width without special hardware. Sometimes another door can be used to satisfy that purpose but not all inspectors agree with that interpretation.

The "mutton chop" rake ends on the garage are a modern builder detail inconsistent with the traditional folk style trim of the main house.

Make sure the porch is low enough to not need 4" spacing of the balustrades.

There should be more space between the porch roof and the second floor windows to allow proper flashing especially for metal roofing.

The termination of a chimney usually must be 2ft above any roof surface within 10 ft.

If there is a living space above the garage, the door into it should not open from the garage nor should the egress path from the dwelling pass through the garage. The ceiling and structural walls and posts of the garage should be protected with drywall.

The siding should be 6" or more above the ground even if that means a perimeter foundation upstand/curb unless all wood elements at that location are protected from decay.

• BirchPoint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Renovator8 you are so thorough! Your thoroughness makes me realize that I have not provided completely accurate information. I am including a photo of the house build to date which shows how differently the house has been built from the original plan. My main question on the proposed garage is in regards to the "shed" style roof combined with the gable. The gable is there to mimic the main house and the pitch of it matches the main house. But the designer incorporated shed dormers in order to maximize space in the apartment above the garage. I don't know if this is stylistically okay. The windows in the main house were enlarged and the plan is to match the windows in the garage.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Is the pitch of the main garage roof the same as the house? To me, it looks like the shed dormers were added later in order to make use of the space in the rafters of the garage. It gives it a traditional "aged" appearance. I like it.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Perfect. Expecting relatives with the Apt?

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

I know this is going to sound like heresy, but I am evangelist for the single large garage door. I know we all like the look of the two carriage doors, but one door is SO much more functional long-term and since the garage sits behind your house all the more reason to go with what gives you the most flexibility. There are lots of large garage doors that look like two.

PS- I like your house!

• rosiew
    9 years ago

I can't speak to the specifics, but wanted to mention this. Friends built a detached garage and had a breezeway connecting them. It provided protection from rain/snow. There was a single door at the back of the garage.

Your new home is going to be very special. Love love the porch.