Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackson2348_gw

Reconfigure MBR/bath space

jackson2348
10 years ago

Hi all, we are in the planning stages of building our home. I'm attaching our plan for our master area.

The goal was for one of us to be able to get up and dressed then leave without disturbing the other. We also wanted easy laundry access, but would prefer access directly from the bath or closet. We do like the closet off the bath rather than off the bedroom.

I'm not loving the 2nd entry, it feels a little contrived to me. I'm wondering if there's a way to configure the space I'm not seeing? Possibly with a master vestibule area, with the BR and BA/closet off that?

Thanks for any ideas and help!

Comments (12)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

Not sure how you envision using the "Master Suite Sitting Room" but it doesn't seem to have easy access to a toilet either. And I can imagine a future owner deciding to use that space as a baby's room which would make easy access to the bathroom a necessity.

SO... have you considered splitting the two vanities so that one is directly across from the shower and than running a hallway between Sitting Room and Mbath with his/hers closets on either side of the hallway. That would certainly make it easy for one person to get up and leave quietly in the mornings.

It wouldn't shorten the distance from laundry room to closets but you could still reach them relatively easy by going thru the sitting room.

Something like this maybe...

• bpath
    10 years ago

And then, you could put double doors into the sitting room.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

What about swapping the sitting area and the laundry? You would need to do some reconfiguration of the doors and such, but it would put the laundry where you need it.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

What about switching the walk in closet and the laundry. Again, it would require some re-routing.

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bevangel, I LOVE that. Thank you! I seriously have been looking at this so long I couldn't see any solution.

The sitting room will be for when we want to watch different things, or I want to read, or visit with friends while the husbands watch the game. I also see it as a nice place for my daughters to have a little privacy with dates for movies and such, but the door stays open!!!! Because of that, I don't want to swap it with the laundry and have it situated so I can't glance in as I walk by (inconspicuously, of course!).

Thank you all for your thoughts!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Bevangel- That's a wonderful use of space :)

Bpath- Double doors would be nice!

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

You're welcome. I totally know the feeling of having looked at a design too long to see possibilities that are obvious to those looking at it with fresh eyes. Don't ya feel like smacking yourself in the forehead when someone points 'em out to you? LOL! Been there, done that.

BTW - don't forget to plan for places to put towel bars/hooks. I'd flip that bathroom door so that it swings inward toward the shower and put hooks on the back of the door for shower towels. Just use a good doorstop so the bath door can't swing back against the glass of the shower stall. With the door swinging inward, a person in the shower has a little extra privacy if someone else opens the bathroom door because they're hidden by the door from anyone standing in the room outside. (All the dorm bathrooms at my college tucked the shower behind the inswinging bathroom door for this reason.)

For tub users, towel bars can be hung beneath the shelves on the walls beside the tub or you could put hooks or a small bar on the side of the linen tower.

And, with that wide open doorway on the left of the Sitting Area, it probably would be a good idea to put a second set of doors in the "cased opening" to the bathroom. Wouldn't want someone in the tub accidentally exposed to the view of someone walking past the sitting room! Best bet, I think, would be a set of narrow double doors with stained glass or frosted glass inserts. Double doors could be probably be left standing open (EXCEPT when someone decides to take a tub bath) so they're not in the way of getting to/from the closets easily.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Re tub privacy: Or pocket doors on each end of the dressing area hall.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

Yep. Pocket doors would work too. I just think double doors with stained glass inserts would be prettier. LOL!

• bpath
    10 years ago

Oooh, and I do love stained glass :)

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

I love Bev's new arrangement. I would put a full length mirror on the back of the door into the sitting room. What a great place to check your appearance after you dress. :)

• cardinal94
    10 years ago

Will other family members be accessing the laundry room while you are sleeping? Having had teenagers & home-from-college-kids that didn't sleep normal (my definition) hours, I would want some slight change in the configuration so the laundry entrance isn't right by the master bdr entrance. Perhaps you sleep with the door closed & sound insulation in the wall. That would take care of it.