Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckyme7

white brick front - yay or nay?

luckyme7
9 years ago

How do people feel about white brick front - they are not painted but they look naturally white(not sure how). Our neighbors have regular red brick front, so we are thinking white brick would look nice on ours...but just don't understand why not many have chosen that especially since it is one of the standard brick colors offered by the builder.

This post was edited by luckyme7 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 6:23

Comments (16)

• User
    9 years ago

If you choose brick, it shoud be more than a set design fakery look. It should cover all sides of the home.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I like white bricks quite a bit.

But, at the same time, I agree with Holly: Don't do just a brick front. Either do brick all the way around, or not at all, or just as an accent on one small portion. Putting brick on just the front looks cheap.

• lizzieplace
    9 years ago

Hello luckyme7! Where we live, a lot of million dollar houses don't have brick (or stone or stucco) all around. Most of them have brick/stone/stucco or a combination in the front only, with a few having some details in the back as well. The rest of the house is siding. Very seldom can you find all brick houses here in new construction, even at the million dollar price point. The market dictates that somehow, I believe.

That being said, I am a fan of brick. Where we used to live, almost every house is made of brick, the red ones. In my opinion, I see white brick as more contemporary looking, whereas the red brick is more traditional (?). But overall, I guess it will depend on what other elements you have going on for your facade. I don't have any experience with white brick though as our current home is made of red brick. Good luck deciding!

• nini804
    9 years ago

We have a white brick house (but ours is brick all over, not just the front.) I really love the look. It is used extensively on older homes in the SE. We wanted our house to read "old" so we went with this look. I think you will be pleased with white brick.

• bridget helm
    9 years ago

Beautiful home, nini, but is it brick painted white rather than actual white bricks? In Louisiana, old bricks painted cream is very popular right now. It's also historical.

A new one that caught my eye in town. it's an old house that they face lifted.

If you do paint brick- please keep this in mind- only historical/antique brick look "right" painted. If you have to use new then do a sacked finish then paint. Otherwise, it becomes VERY obvious that every 4th brick or so is chipped in the exact same spot etc.

The only new brick that I've seen painted cream without a sacked finish that looks authentic is by Columbus Brick Company. I can't remember which line- Heritage, maybe??

• bridget helm
    9 years ago

Here's another one in town with bricks painted cream. So pretty

• bridget helm
    9 years ago

This one used papercut brick. It looks old, but they are new. However, I've been told that this type of brick is no longer being produced. I went everywhere trying to find them

• bridget helm
    9 years ago

One of my favorites. I've noticed it for the past 10 years. I'm not sure of its age, however

• bridget helm
    9 years ago

Yes. I've stalked all the brick painted white houses. Lol

• bridget helm
    9 years ago

These are the Columbus brick that pull off the old look when painted

• bridget helm
    9 years ago

Here are the Columbus painted- I THINK. A builder said they are, but I'm not sure.

• bridget helm
    9 years ago

Here are new brick that were sacked before being painted. This always looks great if your budget does to allow for historical brick

• nini804
    9 years ago

Oh, I am sorry...I didn't read the OP closely enough. Yes, our brick is painted. My apologies, Luckyme7...hope you are able to find a white brick you like. BMH...love the eye candy!

• ethebaud
    9 years ago

bmh4796, I am with Columbus Brick Company and I am glad to hear that you are happy with our product. The brick sample that you show in one of your pictures is a modular size brick from our Heritage collection. Also, the information that you received concerning papercut brick not being produced any longer is incorrect. Although we are only one of the few brick manufacturers in the US that use the papercut process to manufacture brick, we produce 140 million brick per year. Any questions and I'll be glad to help.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

White brick wouldn't look good as an accent. As the material for the whole house, yes. Homes with false fronts never look quite right.