Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibewye

PVC vs Aluminum vs. Wood

ibewye
10 years ago

Starting Greek revival farmhouse and I'm attempting to stay as historically true to the originals. I'm having one problem in particular and that is the soffit and fascia area. I decided on wood siding despite all the maintenance as I really love the look of wood. The Greek revival are known for some pretty detailed woodwork up around the soffit/fascia area including the classic return cornice.
What I'm wondering is if it would look odd too substitute the PVC in lieu of wood anytime a gutter is to be in front the fascia board.I would like to use real wood and a composite wood soffit along the rakes and for the return cornices. I'm not afraid of a little upkeep but painting behind butters will suck.
Hopefully I explained it clear enough. Thanks a lot -Luke

Comments (3)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Don't ask me. We don't like painting and maintenance and went with all azek trim.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

Are you using half-round gutters or fully incorporating ogee into a classical cornice? Half-round would make it easier to get behind there, and to know that the fascia is staying dry.

In the case of ogee, you'd probably should paint all of the components, including the gutters, the same color, to unify the entablature.

If using Azek and not painting that, would you try to match the paint color of the rest of the trim to the Azek? Even if you do, you still risk a mismatch over time, which could be evident if you have the Azek right next to painted wood or composite trim. The Azek is not going to be self-cleaning and will have its own way of weathering, because of that you might find yourself wanting to paint that anyway. I'd still go with the wood myself, if everything else is wood. Or go with the same alternate material for all trim. When the wood needs to be repainted, do you think you'll be doing it or would you hire someone?

• ibewye
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Daderini-thanks for info. I'll be using half-gutters and you seem to understand my dilemma with the soffit and fascia. I found a nice composite wood soffit that Georgia Pacific makes that comes in 16 foot lengths and seems like it would hold paint pretty well so that seems to be the best I can ask for regarding the soffit. As far as the fascia and cornices', I agree that the AZEK will stand out next to wood, so trying to mix is probably a bad idea. I did see a website that used AZEK to construct the return cornices and it looked pretty good, so it is an option. I haven't priced out the AZEK against the aluminum which was originally in the specs and part of the current budget. I think if it prices out reasonably close its feasible that I could use AZEK for fascia, return cornices and the remainder of the roof trim (frieze, crown, and I think a peice of stock). I'm even willing to simplify the trim a little bit as I its a tad too fancy for me, probably just changing or removing the 2 peices crown would be closer to what I like. The paint color is the same for all the exterior trim.
    I will be painting my own house, people seemed shocked when I tell them I'm choosing wood over vinyl(but I cant stand vinyl). I'm still young and follow a good peice of advice I was told: "Take the time to paint just ONE side of the house every year, by the time you get all the way around, it'll be time to start over again, but the idea of painting the house won't seem so daunting and overwhelming."