Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natethegreat_90

Floor Plan Help

natethegreat_90
9 years ago

Hey Guys/Gals,
So im in the middle of coming up with a floor plan for a custom home that I am going to build. For background I am building outside of toronto. Ive been in the construction industry for a while and am going to general contract/do some of the work myself.
I have come up with a floor plan, not to scale!, and am look for input. I have been browsing the fourm and incorperated many ideas but want to see what you think. Attached are some pictures that I am basing the design off of. Main intent is to live in the house for a couple years and then build again so i realise this house is on the bigger side.
Also if anyone can recommend a good program to draw this to scale in would be appreciated

Comments (25)

• natethegreat_90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Upper Level. Note - 9' ceilings throughout

• natethegreat_90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Front of house

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The inspiration house is most likely a Center Hall plan with a hall dividing the house into right and left sides.

Without the drawings to proper scale, it's difficult to tell much about the relative rooms sizes, but if the dining room is about 14x12 that is an okay smallish dining room but it looks vast on the drawing. A drawing like this can be misleading.

I don't think you would like walking in the front door directly into the LR with no separation in a cold climate. There's no closet, no separation from the exterior.

The stairs are in a strange location, how did you decide to put them there? Also because of the drawing it's hard to tell, but I don't think they are taking up nearly enough space in the plan to be realistic in real life. Also it looks like you will be able to stand in the kitchen and have a direct view of the toilet in the downstairs bathroom.

Overall a plan like this can work but I would recommend getting some ordinary graph paper and drawing it out by hand with a pencil and a ruler. I think you will be surprised how different the real sizes of things look.

• bird_lover66
    9 years ago

I actually like open floor plans, but I'm afraid this plan is going to feel more like a hotel lobby than a home.

• User
    9 years ago

''Ive been in the construction industry for a while'' Doing what? You can't do a simple scaled drawing? Do you not own an architect's scale? Print out graph paper and draw to scale?

If you can't draw this house by hand, as simple as it is, then software will not be able to help you. You need an architect.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

It's a good thing I clicked on the plan to enlarge it. I was SURE you were showing a great room with a grand piano, and I was wondering why you would have a grand piano in your great room and still be able to see right into the kitchen from there. Seemed odd.

But then I saw it's not a piano - it's stairs! LOL

I don't understand the access to the rooms on the right, nor what the big empty space is around the stairs. And where do the stairs come out on the upper level?

• mrspete
    9 years ago

That stone house has a drop-dead gorgeous exterior.
    I also thought the stairs were a grand piano.
    No other comments -- this is too far from finished for feedback.

• LOTO
    9 years ago

I think the upstairs master bath is a bit small. According to your drawing it is only about 12' wide by 32' long.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Your house is really big. Or your garage is for a set of matchbox cars.

Your inspiration facade has nothing to do with your floor plan. That facade has a flat front. You will have 3 separate faces to your facade.

• natethegreat_90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can see that i jumped the gun by asking for comments so soon, I am getting them drawn to scale and will repost them when they are complete later on in the week. I drew this on paint due to the fact that i find it easier to modify it as i go rather then drawing on paper. I have multiple pictures that I am designing this from and will make a flicker account so you can see all of them but in the mean time, i will post a few in response to some of the comments starting with the master bath.

• natethegreat_90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And the great room inspiration

• natethegreat_90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and lastly the stair case.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The interior shots in your inspiration photos would not fit in the footprint of the main body of the exterior of the house, I'm pretty sure. They're different sorts of houses.

• User
    9 years ago

Giant disconnect here between what you want and what you show. You're building in a pricy location, and are using some very pricy (and large) homes for inspiration. Can you afford to build a multi million dollar home?

• natethegreat_90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@palimpsest - Ya im just using the pictures as inspiration - not copying the exact measurments and trying to build a house around it. Just more looking at them for a visual, so i understand that the dimensions are not the same.

@hollysprings - Im looking for helpful suggestions on how to make this floorplan better. I own a few rental houses, make well above average income, and have very good backing, i am more then aware of the cost of building as i mentioned that I have been in the industry for a while. I already have pre-approval on the budget that i will need for this size of project.
    Im not sure where you are seeing the giant disconnect - if you look at comparables on the market in the area that im building, you will see that I have actually put alot of time and effort into coming up with something that will fit into the market.

• Michael
    9 years ago

Your upcoming scaled drawing will no doubt make for more meaningful feedback, but as-is there are a few issues. The bedroom/office/bath on the first floor seem to lack any kind of privacy or seclusion from the open first floor - you may want to consider a small hall or vestibule at least for the bed/bath. Upstairs, you have the common bathroom far and across the balcony from the bedrooms it services. Move it adjacent to the bedrooms so one doesn't have to be viewed from people in the great room below while traveling from bed to bath. This situation might benefit from a jack and jill bath between the two bedrooms for privacy. You should also try to push the one bedroom to the front corner so that it have windows on two sides - much more preferable. Is the back patio/porch going to be covered as well? If so, the kitchen and dining rooms will be quite dark. Also, put thought into the way the garage wing meets the house - an angled connection is not easy to visually execute well from all facades.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I realize you are trying to combine different sorts of inspirations but I think what people are trying to say, what I am trying to say is that some of the inspirations won't physically Fit in a house that looks like that one does on the exterior. That staircase/vestibule inspiration comes from a bigger house with a different sort of shape and layout than the one you show, You could make these things fit in A house, but not one that will end up having the appearance of that one on the exterior. This is why you need to work it out to scale first--and I think graph paper and pencil would actually be helpful because you Can't make rapid changes, you have to work through changes slowly and you can see what the implications of the changes are.

• doc5md
    9 years ago

One glaring problem for me is that it appears the bathroom for the 2 upstairs non-master bedrooms is across the entire house. This seems very inconvenient.

• zone4newby
    9 years ago

I think part of the confusion here is that the convention is to show the front of the house at the bottom of the drawing, but I believe the front of the OP's house is at the top. So it would be flat in front, and the area with the staircase would be the foyer, right?

• natethegreat_90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@zone4newby i can see why that would cause confusion, yes you are correct, the front of the house is shown at the top of the house and if you look at it that way you can see the foyer with a smaller closet, but the laundry room and mud room right off.

I really appreciate the helpful comments, as two of you have mentioned, i didn't even think about having to walk across the open great room to get to the bathroom. I do have a question tho - As @mvic pointed out i could move the bedroom right to the front so it would have windows on two sides, and put in a jack and jill bathroom between.
    I would be left with putting the closet where i have the main bathroom - Wouldn't that be a pain having the master closet so far away from the master bathroom?

I also see how a longer hallway giving privacy to the main floor bathroom would be better, i will try to work it in. Also i was planning on having the back porch covered but I will clearly define where that will end as i can see how dark it would make the kitchen and dinning room to have it go all the way around.

Thanks for the comments.

• natethegreat_90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey so I just got the plans back and will add them now. I went through a couple revisions with him and incorperated some of the ideas you gave. Let me know what you think

One thing that i think needs to be changed is the angle of the garage, makes the door to laundry room awkward so i will lessen the degree to 30.

Also please note front of the house is at the top of the page not the bottom.

• natethegreat_90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Upper Level

• natethegreat_90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Basement Drawing

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

The labels and dimensions are really hard to read.

What is on the first floor? A bedroom, den, laundry room? And the rest is open plan foyer, kitchen, great room?

I would play around with some furniture layouts. Where will you eat? Where will the TV be? How will you arrange furniture for socializing?

Do you enter from the garage thru the laundry room? Is there a place to drop stuff? Shoes, coats, mail, etc? Or will it all end up getting piled on the washing machine?

I can't read dimensions, but the pantry looks tight. Especially the corner portion. It might be nice to have a reach thru from the garage/laundry room area for when you come home from the grocery store.
    It seems like you are "wasting" a lot of space with a grand foyer - yet it seems like a tiny set of steps.

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

Do you really need a Den upstairs? I don't see this as very useful space, I would incorporate this into the Master Bedroom, redo the configuration of the MB and make the two secondary bedrooms larger with more closet space.I also don't like the way you have to walk through your MB bathroom to get to the closet. I would not want my shoes, bags and clothes exposed to the humidity of a bathroom. I also would try to make the upstairs bath a Jack and Jill between the two bedrooms. Will you have no formal dining room? I don't like the thought of having a formal dining room completely open to the kitchen.