Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with fiberglass entry door?

Posted by Central79 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 0:59

We are deciding on an entry door for our new construction.
We will have oval window, 2 side lights and an elliptical transom. We want oak look, inside and outside and on the jams.

Any kudos or warnings about Benchmark (made by ThermaTru for Lowes)?
Thanks very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with fiberglass entry door?

15-20 years back Benchmark had one of the better residential steel doors on the market. Being marketed through a box store to me screams price point product and that to me has always meant compromised quality so I would recommend looking for Provia, HMI or at the least Thermo Tru from a window and door supplier not a box store.

o

Thanks millworkman:

No one sells HMI near us. We will check out Provia.
I do like the Therma Door better than the Benchmark but we like the glass available in the benchmark better than the Therma-tru and also Benchmark is less money. Our GC would stain the door and looks like the Stain-kits are the same for the Benchmark and Therma-tru? Thanks

o

Just a word of caution: make sure the GC knows how to properly stain and finish a fiberglass door. The painter our GC used made a mess of our front door, and now we're stuck with it. We had him re-do it twice, and it just got worse.

o

We used Therma Tru (not through a big box store though) on a prior home and I loved that door. We paid to have Therma Tru stain it for us, as I had heard horror stories about how bad they can look if you don't know what you are doing.

The door was great, but I second the advice not to buy it from a big box store though. And I'd make sure your GC really knows how to stain fiberglass first too, before he botches up a beautiful new door with a bad stain job.

o

Thanks everyone!:

We beleive we have decided on a Thema Tru Classic Craft but the GC wants to stain himself and this will be ordered through his Building Supply company. I guess we need to trust he knows what he is is doing as far as staining the door.
Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here