Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
curving staircase

Posted by krash634 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 0:16

Has anyone included a curving staircase into their plans? My builder said that it costs about 3 times more to do one of these(than tradional stairs), and he estimated about $10,000. Does this seem about right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: curving staircase

I am building a curved staircase. Mine is much smaller scale, so not sure if the pricing would compare. And I imagine geography plays a major factor. But a large portion of the cost for me is the ironwork which must be custom (and my GC has to sub it out). I think if I chose to do wood spindles, it would be a lot less expensive because my GC can do the woodwork himself. The wood stair treads and risers don't cost much more than a regular staircase, except that you have to buy larger pieces to cut them for the curves.

o
RE: curving staircase

Much more labor intensive as the stringers need to be curved, they entire construction process is different, handling tin the shop, delivering to the site, installing them in your opening, all are more challenging than standard stairs. 3 times the price may even be a little cheap from what I seem to recall. And that is without even getting into the railing which will be custom curved no matter what type you consider.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here