Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I making a mistake with these colors?

Posted by parsonse (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 23:57

I have to select my shingle color in the next day or two - we've pretty much decided to paint the Hardie board a muted green very silimiar to Mountain Sage with the trim off white and a deep red with orange undertones for the shutters/door (Sherwin Williams 'Sierra Redwood. I have tentatively selected Owens Corning 'Brownwood' as the shingle color which is a brownish/red with dark brown porch & accent metal standing seam roofing.

I'm soooooo worried that the red/green combo is just going to be too much and look odd. I'm on 6 acres with many mature trees in the front yard and open pasture in the back. There are several subdivisions close to me that are all basic red brick with black or grey roofs. I'm drawn to Brownwood because it's different but I don't want to have the house that everyone drives by and points at because it looks hideous, you know? Plus, our remaininf detached garage already has reddish shingles but it wouldn't be a big deal to re-roof it if need be.

I'm open to any and all suggestions - should I stick with 'brownwood' or go with another shade like 'Teak?'

Here's a look at 'Brownwood'

Brownwood Roof

Another view of a Brownwood roof:
Brownwood 2

What I hope our exterior will look like!
Mountain Sage house

This is the detached garage that we left standing. The roof is a bit brighter than the new house and will only be 15' away. Brownwood is the shingle color on my litttle shed behind the camper. :) We can change the garage roofing if need be.
July 18, 2012

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I making a mistake with these colors?

Funny, during your description l was remembering that same house with the porch! I thought it was beautiful then and now.

o

That beautiful house belongs to sandyponder - I've attached a link to a thread that includes an even better shot of the exterior. Love it!

This is the exterior elevation of our build if it helps any:
Rosemoore Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: sandyponder's house

o

I like your color choice. Red and green are complementary colors and using them muted will work well. The roof looks like it has a red cast that will blend in as well.

o

Thank you, archie123! We love the outdoors and I want the colors to reflect who we are and have very calming, earthy tones. Just so, so worried about having too much red!

Another couple of questions - would this style of house look ok with an all metal roof and what color would you choose to put on?

o

I think it definitly lends itself to a metal roof. I love the red windows. I prefer a silver roof, I think any other color looks commercial.

o

We love metal roofing We are partial to white. The darker colors fade so quickly and there is no fixing the fade. White is much cooler then a darker colors too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here