Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parsonse1

Am I making a mistake with these colors?

Beth Parsons
11 years ago

I have to select my shingle color in the next day or two - we've pretty much decided to paint the Hardie board a muted green very silimiar to Mountain Sage with the trim off white and a deep red with orange undertones for the shutters/door (Sherwin Williams 'Sierra Redwood. I have tentatively selected Owens Corning 'Brownwood' as the shingle color which is a brownish/red with dark brown porch & accent metal standing seam roofing.

I'm soooooo worried that the red/green combo is just going to be too much and look odd. I'm on 6 acres with many mature trees in the front yard and open pasture in the back. There are several subdivisions close to me that are all basic red brick with black or grey roofs. I'm drawn to Brownwood because it's different but I don't want to have the house that everyone drives by and points at because it looks hideous, you know? Plus, our remaininf detached garage already has reddish shingles but it wouldn't be a big deal to re-roof it if need be.

I'm open to any and all suggestions - should I stick with 'brownwood' or go with another shade like 'Teak?'

Here's a look at 'Brownwood'

Another view of a Brownwood roof:

What I hope our exterior will look like!

This is the detached garage that we left standing. The roof is a bit brighter than the new house and will only be 15' away. Brownwood is the shingle color on my litttle shed behind the camper. :) We can change the garage roofing if need be.

Comments (6)