Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhwiseman_gw

Roof pitch - is 5:12 too "flat"?

hhwiseman
9 years ago

We're building a 2400 sq ft rambler on 1.25 acres in Utah (Utah county). Keeping building costs low is a high priority for us -- our goal is [mostly] function over form (aka fancy stuff). So, would you go to a lower roof pitch-- from 6:12 down to 5:12 to save $1000? [That's a quote from the builder for the difference in roof pitches].

I definitely prefer the look of the 6:12 roof. Attached is a preliminary drawing of the front exterior with a 6:12 pitch. It seems like 5:12 might look too flat and squat. And, I tell myself...this is something that is not easily changed, ever...so it's something that's worth spending the money on now. The other side of me says, "the roof pitch isn't that big of a deal and 5:12 will probably be just fine....so save the money now".

What do you think?

Note: we're not being cheap on things that are more permanent or contribute to the quality of the structure itself. We're planning on saving money on interior finishes--the things that a person might want to update or upgrade in 5, 10, or 20 years anyway--and that are relatively easy to change.

Comments (4)