Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wu343

Exteriror Color

wu343
11 years ago

We're building a craftsmen (sort of) style home that my wife just finished picking the exterior colors for. I wanted to get some opinions because I'm not too crazy about the choices. Maybe I'm over thinking it, and the combination will look great.

Top color is Functional Gery (SW7024)for the body of the house

Middle color is Wool Skein (SW6148)for some shake we have in the gable ends

Bottom color is sandstone from our Anderson windows. This is currently selected for all of our sofit (called clay) and is planned for all exterior trim.

Comments (19)

• wu343
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is our front elevation

• User
    11 years ago

The colors look a lot like our newly constructed neighbor's house. I think their house looks nice. VERY neutral. I don't know anyone who's ever said "someday when I grow up I want to live in a greige house," but I think your color choices are nice SAFE choices.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Sorry, but gray walls and brown window frames aren't my favorite. If it were me, I'd change the window frames to white or perhaps red? Something that works better with gray hues. Just a thought. Color harmony is very personal, so it's really your decision. Best wishes!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You might post in home decor too....the folks there are really helpful about colors.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

On my screen I am not sure I think there is enough contrast between color 1 and color 3 (body of house and trim)...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I think you need some inspiration.

Check this link out.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz craftsman exteriors[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/craftsman-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2116)

• wu343
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now I'm starting to get worried about the colors. They are going to start painting the exterior in two days!

• dpusa
    11 years ago

wu343

We were set on the grey family - however after seeing a few out driving yesterday we decided against it as it just didnt pop...

Good luck

• arch123
    11 years ago

For me functional grey does not work with the windows. I'd change the windows to red - red/orange (very 2012) or neutral blue grey. or change functional grey to a blue grey . What are the colors on the garage doors?

• wu343
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The garage doors will be a darker wood color. Clopay Walnut

• wu343
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the house body I wanted to use. SW6249 Storm Cloud

• wu343
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here it is all together.

• arch123
    11 years ago

I would throw down the walnut color with the other colors you are considering because it will be a significant factor on the house. I have to say I like the blue grey color - maybe your wife can revisit her choice with that in mind. I think the first set of colors looks rather anemic and you might regret it. I have made that mistake.

• arch123
    11 years ago

Also consider your roof

• wu343
    Original Author
    11 years ago

With garage doors and shingles

• arch123
    11 years ago

With that roof maybe more of a green. SW has a bunglehouse grey SW 2845. Don't go to a yellow green - stay closer to a cool green. There are red tones in your windows and garage - red and green work together well when muted - they are complementary color.

• wu343
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We got the storm cloud primer up and my wife does not like how blue is it. She really wants a gray house. Any suggestions?

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

I like your first set of colors. I don't think the storm cloud goes with the others. The first set have the same undertones which is important.

The storm cloud looks very blue on my monitor. The others are all in the grey/greige family. I think that it will be lovely as first picked out - but I have a greige house too:)

Remember, there will be landscaping, plantings, etc. to liven things up.

• Heidileigh
    11 years ago

I think the color scheme is attractive:) one question though, and maybe I missed it, but what is the blue color for on the house?