Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asrh

New mediterranean plan

Reena Heyer
9 years ago

Hi, I have been a lurker on here for quite a while and have been reading everything and anything I can on this forum. I must say I have learned quite a bit. I am hoping that you all can give some feed back and criticism regarding the plan that I will try and post.

Background: House is being built for 2 adults and 2 kids and possible in-laws moving. The land is flat and the front of the house is truly southern facing. I am trying to maximize the house with an east to west orientation and southern windows for light.

We are trying to keep the house at 4500-5000sq ft. The plan is only the beginning stages and I have already asked for revision as stated below:

The entrance to the house from the garage will be separate from the laundry room and the washer and dryer will be rotated to an external wall. Basically the laundry room with change to an east to west orientation.

Next I am not happy with Bedroom 4 and Cassita which I want staggered not in front of one another. Also both Bedroom 4 and Cassita has to be ADA compliant. The house has a zero step (no step into showers etc) so we hope this makes it easier.

Bedroom 2 and 3 are the kids room. I am also not content with that orientation and I feel it's a waste of hallway space the way its setup. I was thinking of just having each bedroom come right off the hallway again and have southern facing windows and kids bathroom separating the two rooms.

Also we are moving the master off to the north a little so it does not share a wall with the kids room and making the master more east to west arrangement.

Overall I know it still needs quite a bit of work but any input from the get go will make things easier. The great room is going to have vaulted ceilings and hence more light coming in.

Finally I don't like the closet door and bedroom 4 and powder room all in that area. Seems very crowded to me and busy.

No elevations are done yet and the back will have a covered patio which has not been drawn yet.

Anyone with experience on minimizing heating and cooling cost please give your input. We are putting solar on the group (5 acres) so hopefully that helps out. I was thinking spray foam for the external walls but not sure if cost is reasonable.

I appreciate all the comments and hope to continue to post the progress of the blueprints as we move on.

Thanks

I apologize for the quality of the image. Seems like garden web downgrades the image and hence the link and again sorry for the commericial link. Slow download takes 10 seconds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Download link for pdf

This post was edited by RMSH on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 23:21

Comments (13)

• kayakboy
    9 years ago

There are better people than I to address the layout issues.

What part of the country is the house in?

It looks like, from the drawing, that the exterior walls are 2x4? The moderate step to a more energy efficient house is to move to 2x6 exterior walls and open cell spray foam insulation. For a custom house of this size in central texas, this is pretty much standard now.

A lot depends on where you live and the climate.

• Reena Heyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forget that info: House is in Northern California outskirts of Sacramento in a winery lot. The house is being built with 2 x 6s.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I can't read the image you posted and I'm not about to download something from some random internet site. I think others feel the same. Hence you have received little input.

• Reena Heyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I'll try and load a high res picture. Makes no sense garden web doesn't have ability to host a PDF. Gardenweb downgrades the image.

I'll try again. The best I could do was take small high res images and I broke the plan up. Hope you can still sense the flow.

I open to suggestions on uploading a high res picture from sites you guys trust

Thanks

• Reena Heyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd pic

• Reena Heyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

3rd pic

• Reena Heyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Final 4th pic. Sorry about this

• Reena Heyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone any feedback?

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

RMSH, I'm not one of the floor plan experts, let alone a huge-house expert. This is just my reaction to trying to understand your plan:

I Zoomed in so I could read the dimension numbers. My desktop has a huge screen -- much larger than most folks' -- and it wasn't until a piece of the plan was 13 1/2" wide that I could read a few of the dimension numbers (substantially less than half). This is a major problem; the floor plan experts always want to know the dimensions. And some places -- between the kitchen counters, the playroom, one of the bedrooms, etc. -- there aren't any numbers to read.

I think it would help to color the courtyards a very light green, to make it immediately obvious those are outdoor spaces (at least, I'm pretty sure they are). As it is -- especially with the illegible numbers and the nearly-as-illegible room labels -- the initial impression is that you are building a maze ... maybe an underground compound: all those interior rooms.

There are many different spaces/objects which share the toffee-color. Most of the toffees are obviously kitchen counters, bathroom vanities, and other built-ins of some sort (I guess your family likes built-in office furniture). But a few are not obvious at all: for instance, the what's-it in the theater (a counter inside a closet?) and the mysterious thingies in the hall on the other side of the theater: built-in bookcases? display cases? something else?

I assume the rectangle outside the family room is a fireplace ... but fireplaces are usually indicated differently on floor plans. [It's either a fireplace or an outside closet, and fireplace is much more likely: but the point is that it wasn't obvious: I had to stop and ponder.]

And what/why is the "Cassita"? It looks like a bedroom, is next to a bedroom, is ADA-compliant, and has a several-feet-wide coffee bar: what ... why? [I assume that's "house" in one of the more obscure Romance languages, like Catalan or one of the Italian dialects? Maybe the spelling denotes a Mediterranean lifestyle thing I'm not familiar with. Certainly I'm not familiar with giant coffee bars in bedrooms.]

Could you add much larger dimension labels to the rooms? That would be a major help.

GW is a big, busy place ... too much to keep up with. And your plan, as is, just isn't user-friendly. You know what's going on: make it easy for us to understand.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

It is difficult to read...but I do think you need a sink on your kitchen island. As it is right now, it looks like you have to walk between the range and sink to access the playroom. Not a good idea.

I do like the courtyard and the atrium :)

• Reena Heyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll work on the resolution and try and get a high resolution picture up hosted on flicker

• bpath
    9 years ago

I love a courtyard! My parents' winter home in AZ has two courtyards and a casita, as well. One thing they had thought would be nice is if there was access from the casita directly to the house, perhaps via a glass corridor, for their guests when it's really hot, or raining, or if they want to pop into the house for something at night but not use the front door. Yours will, I think, be an in-law suite, so perhaps (or not) you want total separation. But consider access should it become necessary.

Do you entertain a lot? The dining room seems a little out of the way from the kitchen.

Is that a fountain in the interior courtyard? If it is running, will it disturb someone watching a movie in the media room? Same for the front courtyard and bedroom 3.

If I had bedroom #3 or 4, I'd want a window into the courtyard, if only just a high one. And I'm pretty sure Mickey would love a window in that little office!

• bpath
    9 years ago

The playroom and office are accessed directly through the busiest part of the kitchen. I don't know how old the children are, but the bigger they get the more they bump into you passing through the aisles. Would you consider altering that?