Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mitch Ginn Elberton Way photos and feedback?

Posted by karakell (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 23:03

We have chosen Southern Living's Elberton Way to build and broke ground in July! I am wondering if there is anyone out there with this plan who might be willing to share photos and/or give your honest feedback. Any suggestions? Things you love? Or things that you would change? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mitch Ginn Elberton Way photos and feedback?

Here is a link to the only pics I have seen of this plan finished.

Here is a link that might be useful: The lewes building company on facebook

o

Make sure you click on photos and then albums to view all of the elberton way photos. You will see the album listed elberton way.

o

I like the location of the laundry room, being close to the master. I also like the concept of the fireplace on the large front porch area that also functions as a covered side entry. I would love that area.

I wish their was some sort of bend to the hallway to muffle some of the noise coming from the kitchen and family room into the master bedroom. It may not be an issue for you - depending on if everyone wakes up/goes to bed around the same time.

There are a lot of doors from the master bedroom, past the closets into the bath that will bump each other. I would consider pocket doors somewhere - IMO for the closet doors. Or moving the bathroom door to open next to the vanities. Also, in the master bathroom - the master toilet room needs an outswing door or no door at all.

The 3/4 bath next to the office/BR is pretty tight. It seems to me that in order to use the toilet that you would have to step into the shower area in order to go around the door, shut said door, to use the toilet. I would switch that door swing to open the opposite way.

The closet between the living and dining rooms is odd that it isn't a walk in closet. IMO the door should be in the foyer making that a small walk in closet.

o

I think the idea for the vestibule outside the guest coat closet is to have a place for a full length mirror and/or a bench to sit on for changing shoes,etc. without having to do so in the front hall. I've seen these more in large houses than in regular sized houses.

o

Thank you so much for your feedback! It is so helpful to have a few pairs of fresh eyes to look at the details.
DreamHomeDreamer, I love your suggestions about the door solutions in the master and guest bath. I definitely will benefit from those suggestions. I initially thought the exact same thing about the funny coat closet until my sister suggested what Palimpsest mentioned above. I'm leaning towards leaving it as is and placing a bench in there for coats and purses or things to be dropped there when we have company over.
Thanks again for your time and help! It is much appreciated!

o

The kitchen is great but I would enlarge the pantry somehow.

I would eliminate the outdoor fireplace.

The upstairs bedroom (the one over the master bath) dormer seems small to me.

A window in the upstairs bathrooms would be nice.

This is a great floorplan.

Would love to hear about your progress. We are also thinking of this plan for our land just outside of Asheville, NC.

o

Looks like a nice plan to me, too. I particularly like the offset of the garage so it's not sucking up exterior walls and window opportunities.

talldude - I would have emailed but you don't have that option set on your profile. We are land hunting near Asheville and I'm wondering if you have good contacts or would share how you found your land. Thanks - Deb

Sorry for the hijack, karakell

o

Thanks Talldude and Deb,
We are building on a ridge so we actually had the architect configure the garage in the basement for us so as not to hinder our view out the back. Yes, the dormer is smaller in the room above the master bath than the other bedroom. Also small window in loft area. I'm interested to see how these look in person. We are including the outdoor fireplace even though an added expense. We have 7 acres, so our lot is very wooded and private and we thought it would be a nice feature. I am happy to keep anyone interested in the plan posted about some of these details as we go along, if youre interested. We have a few months to go though. This is our progress so far:

o

We are building in Asheville and used a guy called 'The Land Man' to find our lot. I can look up his information if you are interested.

This post was edited by carra on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 21:20

o

carra I don't want to hijack karakell's thread any further but would love to get more info from you. You can email me through Garden Web if you want or we can take this to another thread if you're not comfortable with email.

Thanks
Deb

o

Hi karakell, My wife and I are going to build this plan in the next couple of months on our farm north of Raleigh. I made a couple of edits to Mitch's floor plan to eliminate the butler's pantry and closet replacing the openings on the dining room with large pocket doors. We're going to use them in other places as well such as the closets and bathrooms as mentioned by others above. We've been wondering what the roof will look like in the rear though. Can't find any photos of it. We'd love to come take a look at yours before you folks move in just to get a sense of how ours will look.

Here is a link that might be useful: my revised elberton 1st floor plan

o

Tyler T, link was to Facebook sign in.

o

TylerT,
Congrats, that is very exciting! I couldn't access your link, but I would love to see your changes. We are having our framing walk through today and I have to say that I am still as in love with this floor plan in person as I was on paper. I had never seen it before starting our build, so that is a relief. I will take a couple of pictures of the roof line as it is today. A few things to consider as you are still in the planning phase: now that I have walked through the rooms and space, the closet in the bedroom with the smaller dormer is pretty small. There is a roof line that comes through the center and will cut down on hanging space. It might be helpful to think about incorporating some of that unfinished storage space behind for a larger closet if you have children (esp teenage girls!) with lots of clothes.
We kept the butlers pantry and hall closet, but changed the laundry room to include the outer closets and incorporated room for an extra refrigerator in there. If you're interested in walking the property before we finish, you can email me (karakell@hotmail.com). Our completion date is set for Dec.

o

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Please continue to share and TylerT - I cannot access your link either. We are looking to build this plan type if we can find land for the right price. I am happy for all those with positive building experiences and learning from those with cautionary tales.

That seems like a lot of MBR closet space. I, too, would like a bigger panty. We are thinking of putting the freezer in the pantry and a built-in frig in the kitchen. And, I am looking at if a prep sink could work.

I wonder how flipping one of the MBR closets with the W/D would work. Perhaps then a laundry chute could work upstairs?

Thanks again for sharing

o

Nightowlrn-
I sure will keep y'all posted if it's helpful. The master bedroom closets are big. I am excited by the prospect of not having to rotate my summer and winter clothes! I'm sure you could manage with one, but one backs up to the outer wall and the other is next to the stairs, so I'm not sure you could access it unless you changed their location altogether to the back of the house, but there is the issue of losing those big windows and the view from the bedroom out back. You could, however, easily move the laundryroom into the unused space upstairs. It is so huge. Even as is without moving the laundry room, you would still be able to fit a large stand up freezer in there with no problem.
I also reconfigured the kitchen. I moved the sink to the middle and pushed the windows together to be able to look outside. The range we put on the right side of the U and left the island clear. You could easily incorporate a second sink that way. I don't find the pantry small, but that is probably because it is huge compared to my current one. It actually is pretty large in person...an above average size of a walk-in closet.
(I posted a pic to show y'all how we reconfigured the laundry to fit a fridge.)

o

I look forward to seeing your kitchen plans. It is just the two of us right now, so we want the w/d downstairs, but will think about making the hook up space on the second for resale. Thanks for that thought. Have fun !!!

o

I don't have the final drawings yet of my kitchen, but I will post as soon as I do.

o

We will be starting our Elberton next spring. Karakell, thanks for sharing your photos. I can't wait to see more.

o

Brick is starting to go up, trim is painted and stone will follow not long after! Just thought y'all might appreciate a quick update! We should be finishing plumbing and electrical soon, and I'm finalizing my kitchen design this week. It's coming along!!

o

Side view with trim color...the mortar is ivory buff, so it actually looks a lot lighter than this now after drying for a few days. It takes a couple of months this time of year to cure to its actual color apparently!

o

Wonderful! Thanks for posting. I am looking forward to seeing how you designed the kitchen and back hallway area.

o

Looks great! Thanks for sharing! I am looking forward to seeing more pictures!

o

I'm so excited to find this thread! We hope to break ground this week. We are on a farm with two active children, so we lengthened the garage & added a laundry room & full bath/mud room. The laundry room on the plan will be storage. I'm looking forward to seeing pics & ideas. I have stalked The Lewes Building Co Elberton Way album for quite some time!

o

So glad you found us! We are still moving along slowly but surely. We have our plumbing and electrical walk through tomorrow before starting on sheetrock. Finally! I haven't forgotten about you all and posting the pictures I have promised. The wood studs don't come out very well in pictures, so I've been waiting for this next phase to really start before posting some pics of the things some of you have asked about inside (my kitchen layout, pantry, closets, laundry, etc). Here is an updated exterior picture I took today. It's a cell phone shot and not a very good one at that, but you get the idea. :)

o

Thanks for posting these pictures. The brick and the stonework looks great. I would love to see exterior pictures of the back of the house.

o

Yes Please keep posting!

o

The back of our house is difficult to photograph. We reconfigured the garage to go into a walkout basement because the ridge behind the house drops off quickly into a steep hillside. I have tried to get back there to take pictures, but the best I can do is slightly to the side. I sent one awhile back to TylerT before brick went up. I'll try to get an updated one this week. For now, I'll attach a pciture of how the elevation was shown from the back in the plans we have, which may be helpful to get an idea.
Note: 1. Reconfiguration of the basement from original plans. 2. We made the covered porch slightly smaller than the original plans and added an uncovered grilling deck extension to attach to it.

o

This is the original exterior elevation drawing from the study plans....for those of you who will be building the garage out back.

o

Also, original left side elevation rendering...

o

Looking at the Lewes facebook photos, it seems like the living room dimensions may not be great for sofa and chairs, particularly if TV was on shelf beside fireplace. Are these dimensions working out ok for others so far? Has anyone tried to use the unfinished attic area as a bonus room (the end with a window)? Thanks!

o

Looking at the dimensions of the room in person, I have never worried about fitting couches and chairs in it, but we shall see when we move in! I can keep you posted on that one. The shelf beside the fireplace is pretty far off to the right though. It might not be an ideal spot for a tv although I'm sure you could make it work. We haven't decided where we'll put the tv. We have options for the shelf or above the fireplace. My husband is a huge movie buff, so we will have a media room downstairs with his main 'setup'. We have a similar situation in our current house and we don't watch much tv in the main room. I guess it just depends on what the room is intended for. If it will be your main tv watching room and you are serious about picture and surround sound, then having the tv off to the right might not be ideal for that.
We are using the attic as storage, but I know that in the Lewes build they reconfigured that area to be another 2 bedrooms for a total of 4 bedrooms and a loft upstairs. It could easily be reconfigured to be a bonus room for sure without any structural changes, especially since it already has a window. If you wanted more light, you could easily add skylights into the sloped roofline. The roof is sloped on the back side, so it would have the sloped roof character back there that the front 2 rooms have. I'm sure it would be a great bonus room!

o

Were there photos of the Lewes upstairs? I don't think I ever saw anything on the 2nd floor. Thanks/

o

Thanks for posting the elevation drawings. My enthusiasm for this house keeps growing. Hope you are enjoying your build.

o

Thanks for posting the elevation drawings. My enthusiasm for this house keeps growing. Hope you are enjoying your build.

o

Tville,
There were no pictures of the 2nd floor unfortunately. However, I knew there were more bedrooms because they wrote this comment on one of their pics of the house on their FB page to answer a lady that asked about the SF:
"Hi Gina - thank you! Our modified version of the Elberton Way by L.Mitchell Ginn & Assoc is just under 4,900 SF. You can see our flyer of it here: http://goo.gl/1J1cSm. Two bedrooms were built in the 2nd floor unfinished attic storage area and the covered porch was converted to a finished sunroom."
Talldude, we are enjoying it, but we will be very happy when it's finished! Glad those pics helped. I'm still working on a real one for you. Stay tuned...

o

Here are our most up to date rear photos. Probably better described as rear side photos as it is impossible to stand directly behind and take them.

o

Other side rear view

o

Thank you. I appreciate all your posts.

o

No problem, nightowlrn. I haven't forgotten about the interior kitchen layout pics for you. Still waiting on sheetrock to start. Stone is taking much longer than expected and pushing everything behind a bit. They are telling me now our completion date is closer to the end of Feb.

o

Such a tease .....

o

I love this plan. We are thinking about downsizing so not sure it will work for us, but I love seeing everyone's ideas and pictures. Thanks for posting. I have seen the Lewes Building house from the outside. It is gorgeous!

o

I love the brick and stone that you picked out! I will be excited to see more of the fireplace on the front porch! Please keep the pictures coming. :)

Just curious...do you think there would be enough space for someone to convert the little office space off the kitchen into the laundry room? And then convert the actual laundry space (behind the family room) to an area that would extend part of the master bedroom into a sitting area?

Also, for all of you Elberton Way fans out there, I noticed that there is a new mls listing for a new Elberton Way that is being built by Creative Home Concepts in Powhatan, Virginia. There are not any photos available at this time. I am hoping they will post some as well.

o

I finally was able to get out to the house and take some photographs of some of the things not seen on the Lewes build of the Elberton Way on FB...closets, upstairs bedrooms, my reconfigured kitchen and laundry layouts, etc. Hopefully this is helpful to you all. We have had a few setbacks with all of this cold weather. Laying the stone has taken much longer than expected, but we should be finished mid March. I will post the link to the pictures below. Let me know if it gives you any troubles. Also let me know if there are any pictures that I missed of parts you would like to see. One thing I forgot to get a picture of was the huge upstairs attic/storage space. I will get one next time I'm out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elberton Way Photos

o

Thank you so much for posting pictures! I'm so excited to find this thread. We are planning to start construction on our Elberton in Greenville, SC this summer, and you've already helped me so much. It looks like you've helped lots of other folks, too.:-). Please keep the pictures coming. It's looking beautiful!

o

Mom2mattandmeg,
That is a great question. I'm not sure how big the little office space off the kitchen is because we eliminated that in our plans and put our garage below since we are building on a ridge line. I'm sure you could extend it if needed and make that a laundry/mud room coming in from the garage. The current laundry room could then easily be incorporated to the master bedroom to make more space for a sitting room. When you purchase the plans from southern living, you can make your customizations/changes with their architects. We told them what we wanted to incorporate and they came back to us with a couple of options.
Also, thanks for the info about the elberton MLS listing. Let us know if they post pictures!

o

What is the depth of your porch? Are your ceilings 10 ft. high? We are also planning to build this house and have made some changes which may affect the porch depth. Do you think there is enough hanging space in the closet of the small dormer bedroom due to the sloping roof? How is the guest bath on the main floor space-wise? Thanks for any feedback!

o

Alliehawkes,
I will post the field drawings that show the measurements for our porch and the main floor guest bath. The front side porch feels really large and spacious. According to the plans, it is about 13ft deep. The front porch is a little less but still 8ft deep.
All main floor ceilings are 10 ft. Upstairs is 9 ft. Basement is 8ft.
The verdict is still out on whether or not the closet with the small dormer closet will be big enough. I'm meeting the closet shelf guy out there on Wed and will post an updated picture of what it looks like once shelves are in. The roof line juts into the closet a good but though. I think it will be pretty small. If you are still in the planning phase, I would recommend thinking about incorporating some of that attic storage space for addition closet space.
I'll also post a pic of the dimensions for the main floor guest bath. It seems like a great size to me. The shower is plenty big but tucked away enough that it is also a good powder room for the main floor. The vanity is large and has plenty of storage. One thing I didn't think of, but wish I had, would be to put a pocket door into the door casing that leads to the guest room and bath. That way when guests are there, they can close it at night and go from their room to the bathroom with privacy. Just a thought. I'll take a picture of it when I'm there next time for you! Hope this helps!

o

Porch dimensions

o

Main level guest bath

o

Thank you so much! Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

o

Is there a name for the sloped/curved roofline over the front door? Was this difficult for your builder to do? Our builder seems to think it might be difficult to do. Also, would you be willing to share your basement layout if you have one? Thanks so much!

o

Sorry, just seeing your message, Alliehawkes! I don't know if there is a name for the curve over the front door. I actually didn't even choose that. I think the builder just did it because it was in the original plan that way. They never mentioned that it was more difficult, but it might have been. I know very little about construction. I will share a pic of the original basement layout that came with the plans (I don't have a picture of our basement plans to share on this computer and we have packed up the other!). In ours, we have a 3 car garage, storage room, media room, guest room, bathroom, office, safe room, and living room/game room.

o

Thank you so so much! Can't wait to see more pictures!

o

Could you tell me the pitch of the roof over your porch? Thank you!

o

2 12... Is what is drawn with a triangle over the porch roof. Do those numbers indicate the pitch? If not, let me know and I will ask and see.
House is really coming along! More pictures coming soon. We are closing in 10 days. I'll post a few that I've taken in recent days, but more to come, I promise!

o

Great room and kitchen with beams. Floor is covered to protect it, but is dark like the beams. U

o

Cedar shutters are up and will be stained a medium brown. Shed roofs over garage to add some interest on that side. Carpenters are trimming the porch this week.

o

Kitchen coming along. Walnut island, white quartz perimeter, gray subway backsplash.

o

Fireplace in great room

o

Yes, I believe that is the pitch designation. Do you have a metal roof on your porch? Our pitch is 4/12, but I think that might be the lowest pitch you can/should have with shingles.

Love your kitchen. I am thinking of white cabinets, subway tile, and marble with a butcher block island. Do you have a farmhouse sink? Also, is your kitchen 9' deep? Or did you change that from the original plan? I really like the roofs over the garage, too! And the beams! We have a 9' ceiling planned for the kitchen with 10' in the great room. I think I want a coffered ceiling in the great room or beams like yours. Thanks again for sharing!

o

Yes, we do have a metal roof over the porch so that makes sense. Glad you like the kitchen! I LOVE marble, but my husband was against it, so I compromised and did the quartz instead. I do have a big white farmhouse sink and it is one of my favorite things in the kitchen. I highly recommend! I didn't change the footprint of the kitchen so if it was 9' in the original than that's what mine is. The coffered ceiling or beams in your great room sound beautiful! You'll have to share pics too once it comes together!

o

Pantry update...a few early comments were made about concern for the size of the pantry. The pantry is large in my opinion. 6'6" deep and 5'6" wide. LOTS of storage space.

o

The pantry seems spacious to me. This has all been so helpful to me. We are about to finalize our plan but may not break ground until next year. I will keep you posted. We have changed the plan quite a bit so far. Your suggestion for the upstairs closet was so beneficial. We have added a closet off the back of that room in the attic area. We will use that other closet as a "playroom" closet with entry either from the playroom or from my daughter's bedroom. Not sure where I want to enter it from. I thought she might like to set up a little area for her dolls, etc. Can you tell me the dimensions of your kitchen island? I can't get an idea of its size from the picture. Thanks!

o

Your house looks great.

It looks like you are keeping the kitchen completely open to the family room. I have thought about a cased opening or maybe a transition in the ceiling (like a tray ceiling over the kitchen space and another over the family room). I'm curious as to whether you considered any way to define the two spaces other than furniture placement. Maybe the space is just the right size so that no transition is necessary?

Thanks for all the updates.

o

Tall dude, we have changed the plan to have 9' ceilings throughout the first floor with a 10' ceiling in the great room. Our dining table will be within the great room space. We plan to do beams or a coffered ceiling in the great room/dining room with some sort of separation from the kitchen (probably an archway similar to this - http://www.houzz.com/photos/52029/2009-Showcase-Home-on-Park-Alley-traditional-kitchen-other-metro). Due to the huge attic space over the great room, this was no problem. We decided against a formal dining room and butler's pantry and have made this into an office/library. You can see in the houzz picture that there is a dining table on the other side of the archway, too. Hope this is helpful!

o

Thanks. I think that is going to look great.

o

Talldude, we kept the kitchen completely open like in the original plans. An open kitchen has always appealed to me although I know some prefer a little more separation.
I love decorating, and my sister is an interior designer so she is helping me to separate the spaces with rugs and furniture so it is open but cozy and defined. I love Allie's idea of the arch or the raised ceilings to delineate. That keeps it open, but architecturally separates the space more. Love it.
Allie, to answer your question about the size of the island...I know it's 90 inches long but not sure how deep. They didn't have the depth measurements on my drawings so I can measure next time I go out there!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here