Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cas81611

Your thoughts on this plan?

Katie S.
9 years ago

I would keep the two story family room, but fill in the space above the foyer as a small play/ study loft for my kids.

Back would face east. We have a mostly wooded view to the east and a pasture view to the west.

Living room would be used as library/ study.

Is the toilet in the laundry too weird?

Is the secondary bath sharing a wall with the master a problem?

Thank you for any opinions.

Comments (12)

• farmhousegirl
    9 years ago

I really like it. You could enclose the washer and dryer behind closet doors to make it 'cleaner'. I had a friend with a main floor bathroom exactly like this. She just kept the doors shut and it was just fine. No, I don't think the hall bath upstairs will be a problem with the master next to it. There is always something you have to compromise on..almost no plan has everything perfect.

• stefsims
    9 years ago

I like your plan!! Really like all the counter space in the kitchen. Question, do you prefer your cooktop in the island? Just curious. Additionally, I think the toilet in the laundry looks kinda odd to me (just being honest).

Love changing the LR to a study, and I don't think the hall bath on the wall of the master is a problem (to me).

BTW, this looks like a Mitch Ginn plan......is it?

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Is this a Southern Living plan? I think I've seen it before. Overall, I like it. Comments:

- I think I'd replace the front-facing French doors with nice-sized windows. You don't need three sets of doors facing the front porch. Windows are cheaper, more energy efficient, and less of a burglary risk. Windows also make furniture placement easier than doors. And I think multiple doors that close together are a bit odd.

- I like the family room. Looks like a comfortable layout, and I always like a staircase that's visible from a living area -- if nothing else, it's wonderful for Christmas decorating.

- Note that although your foyer's large, you have no place for a table for your guests' keys, purses, etc.

- I would eliminate the kitchen-dining room door -- or go with a pocket door.

- Though it's not ideal, I don't particularly mind the laundry /half-bath combination, but I don't understand why you have TWO half-baths on the first floor. One is needed, yes; but two?

- The mudroom serves no purpose -- it's just a hallway. A hallway with an excessive number of doors and one tiny closet. I say instead of having these choppy little spaces at the casual entrance, remove these walls, take in the little porch . . . and have one big, comfortable casual entrance area, which would include a back door, the laundry (and some folding /storage space) and some mudroom facilities.

- No, I don't think the master bedroom sharing a wall with the hall bath is a problem, especially since the facilities are all placed on the far-side wall. However, I think the plan could be improved by flipping the master bedroom and bath. Putting the two bathrooms "back to back" would be a money{{gwi:807}} saver -- and they'd be stacked above the kitchen /laundry, which is an efficient choice in terms of plumbing. AND that'd mean you'd have the bedroom on the corner, which would allow you windows on two walls /nicer natural light. AND it'd put your bedroom slightly farther from the kids'{{gwi:807}} rooms. Win-win-win.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 15:12

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Regarding the half bath/laundry room - I'm guessing the purpose of this is for use when outdoors - you can just step in off the porch to use the facilities. This is super handy if you have kids playing outside, if you have a pool, or plan lots of outdoor entertaining.

The garage will be tight. Especially if you drive large SUVs or trucks. There will be no room for any other storage. 24x24 would be comfortable.

I'd also consider a door from the garage to the front porch. Often friends follow me home. I like to be able to park in the garage, then meet them by the front door and enter together.

The side porch seems odd. Not sure what the purpose is. I'd probably eliminate the porch, and make a straight wall from laundry room to garage to give yourself some room to maneuver and some storage space in your mudroom.

If you plan to use the living room as a study, maybe bump out a little space for a coat closet, bench, table - entry way space.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

This plan has a lot going for it! But I agree with other comments - garage is waaaay too small, second half bath is redundant, not nearly enough space devoted to coat closets/place to put on shoes at either entry.

I am also not a fan of an island cooktop. Venting is very important, and much easier/cheaper to do if the range is on an outside wall. Put your sink on the island, cooktop on the outside wall, and put windows on both sides. You have enough cabinet space in the kitchen that you can sacrifice some wall cabinets for windows on that wall.

Make the cabinets on the fridge wall deeper than normal - perhaps 30" lowers and 15" (or even 18") uppers. This gives you a lot more cabinet and counter space, and allows you to have a full-sized fridge that looks counter-depth.

The island looks like it has a lot of seating space. Will you also have a table in the breakfast room? Or will that be more of a sitting area? You probably don't need a table and island seating right next to each other - and a dining room nearby.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

I like it a lot. A few tweaks and this could be a great home.

• Katie S.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah thank you so much for the comments! This is a John Tee plan called Red Springs.

I personally love the laundry toilet for reasons PixieLou stated...but it is definitely weird. Eliminating it would also let me open the laundry up to the mudroom as Mrs Pete suggests, which would make it a lovely sunny space. Still undecided.

The French doors are certainly impractical, but I love them.

The mudroom does seem small... I was planning on putting bench / hooks/ cubbies where the closet is shown. The laundry chute also dumps into that room, so I think expanding into the little porch is a good idea.

You all are right about the garage and it will be nice that the bongs space above it will be larger too if it is expanded.

Kitchen/ seating. Breakfast table would be for breakfast, snacks, homework, projects, etc. In our old house we had a dining room that we ate in every night for dinner. Maybe a seat or two at the island just for chatting, but no meals there.
    Ah the island cooktop.... I do not mind a hood coming down from the ceiling, and we don't eat at the island. I really like the idea of not facing a wall while cooking. But I know an island cooktop is not popular here, so I will give it more thought.

Thank you all again. A lot to think about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I can see the point in wanting a half bath near the back yard, but I can't see why you'd then have a second half-bath elsewhere.

I'm glad you're considering taking in the little side porch. You definitely cannot do the entryway stuff you're considering AND have laundry dumping into that small spot.

Another thought: why have the laundry downstairs at all? With all the bedrooms upstairs, why not move it upstairs to a more convenient location? It could easily fit in that optional bath area.

• Katie S.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mrs Pete, you mean you don't have a formal AND informal half bath? Ha, you are right, and I think I will just lose the laundry toilet, open up the area, and keep the more traditional powder room.

I line dry our clothes so I prefer a first floor laundry with an exit nearby. I also like it near the kitchen so its convenient throughout the day for spot treating and such.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

Since all the beds are upstairs and the laundry is downstairs, you need to figure out where to put a laundry shoot.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Well, we have two baths on the first floor, and it works great for us. The half-bath is off the laundry room, and we find it useful when working and playing outdoors ( or in), without having to keep it "nice" for guests. The other adjoins a room we use as a sitting and guest room (it also has a small shower) and though we use it, it is always presentable for guests (no poison ivy wash on the vanity, for instance).

Now about the stairs, while I like stairs that are more part of the house and not just an excuse to have a foyer, these bother me. Coming down the stairs people will typically pass through the family room, but will that disrupt furniture placement? Where will the TV go? Where will furniture go? For once I'd rather see the stairs come from the other side, and then add a nice balcony on the second floor over the FR.

Is the front closet a little far from the front door? It's not really in the foyer. The powder room seems big, could they be reconfigured somehow?

In the master bath, when you step out of the shower, where is your towel?

I like the plan mostly, though, especially the side porch. And the elevation is absolutely charming!

• Katie S.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi robin, there is one from the master closet to the mudroom. I wonder if it could open from the other side too so kids could drop their clothes in through the bonus room?

Thanks bp... I wonder if I am trying justify some of the plans flaws because I love the elevation so much.

I am so glad you chimed in about two half baths... It does seem useful to have one that is always presentable, but I'm sure yours is more functional, bring a full guest bath. I would keep the utility sink in the mudroom area regardless.

Master bath towel.... Hmmm. Good question. Do you think the bathroom layout wound work if I swapped shower and toilet? I would prefer the shower closer to the closet anyway .

I think I will take PixieLous suggestion to carve a front door closet out of some of the living room, and maybe another one opening up to that room to hide ugly office stuff.

As far as the family room and stairs... I was planning on having the tv on the short wall, a sofa opposite that wall, a lovesteat pulled out a bit from the stairs so people can walk behind, and some chairs maybe on either side of FP. I also wonder if there will be too much traffic in that room, but I do like how it will sort of force a connection between the upstairs and the family room.