Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceiling fans in walkout basement?

Posted by hondurangringo (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 22:56

We're in Utah and are building a home with a walkout basement -- the southern exposure will shine sunlight at several rooms along the back. We're thinking of putting ceiling fans in for circulation but are unsure if they're even necessary at all.

Does anybody know if it's a common thing to put ceiling fans in a basement that stays pretty cool on its own?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceiling fans in walkout basement?

Common - probably not. We put one in (NC - Eastern windows) and we never use it. As you said, it is pretty cool on its own. I don't run the a/c down there and it is always a few degrees cooler than the main floor. When you are at the windows at the right time of day, it is a little warm but that area isn't even covered by the ceiling fan.

o

My 6 yr old house has a walk out basement with lots of south light. We put ceiling fans in two bedrooms, a large family room, and the exercise room. All of these rooms have a lot of light.

I like ceiling fans. I have them in many rooms on the main level as well. I wish I had one in my master bathroom.

We are in Central/southern Illinois and are experiencing a heat wave and drought.

o

We are in the northeast and our walkout maintains a temp of 63 all winter without heat and will warm up to about 78 on the hottest summer days if we keep it closed up, so we didn't put in ceiling fans. (personally I'm not a fan of how most of them look.)

You could put in provision and then wait to see how the place performs and add them later if need be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here