Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drywall vs. blue board with plaster

Posted by mae919 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 22:54

Does anyone know the cost difference between the two? I would really like to use the blue board with a skim coat of plaster.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drywall vs. blue board with plaster

Probably not the answer you want, but it really depends where you are. If you are in Mass., where there are a lot of plasterers, the price difference will be small.

o

I am in North Carolina.

o

You should call some drywall companies in your area and ask if they offer a "gypsum veneer plaster system" (commonly called "blueboard"). The plaster veneer is only about 3/32" thick so it is not a traditional coat a plastereer would apply to lath. There is no reason for it to cost more if the company knows how to install it.

o

For a smooth wall/ceiling finish, If you go with a level 5 drywall or plaster over blueboard, you are going to want to be real careful about who you get to do this. Take your time in seeking out quality,reputable finishers. If plaster over blueboard is available in your area, i would go with that even if it is more dinero, because a level 5 finish can't compare to a decent plaster finish imho. Get real world estimates from outfits in your area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here