Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelaz_gw

Opinions desperately needed on exterior trim color!

AngelaZ
9 years ago

Our exterior painting is supposed to start tomorrow and I am 100% stuck on this decision.

Our architect has recommended that all the trim on our house be painted the same color as the window exterior, which is a dark brown/bronze color.

My builder thinks it will look far too dark.

Our architect has not led us astray yet, but I've looked at this trim light colored for so long, prior to painting, that it's hard to imagine these details being so dark. And I'm afraid it will hide the cool beam detail above the front porch. There are more of these beams on the sides and back of the house as well.

Here is a photo of our house now.

Here is a mock up my friend did for me, although she used a color that is lighter than what the architect is suggesting. It still gives a bit of a feel of what a darker color would look like.

I would absolutely LOVE your opinion on this. What color would you paint this exterior trim?

Comments (16)

• Homeblessings
    9 years ago

I'm not sure, but could you color over these areas with a dark colored pencil or crayon to get a color closer to the window exterior than the mock up and see what you think?

• AngelaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Homeblessings, I do think that would help. But for these last couple of weeks in construction we are living in a travel camper on site, and my printer is in storage. I am without that or my desktop with photoshop on in. Yikes.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Sorry, I only have the BM color visualizer, no fancy photo shop, so it's rough, but it will give you an idea.

This is bucktrout brown

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

BM Charmeuse

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Bm inspired

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

BM Instinct

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

I tend to like the lighter colors. Great looking house.

• done_again_2
    9 years ago

I like your friend's mock up. The darker color makes it look more interesting and gives the house a neat look. I'm not sure the really dark window color would look as good. I definitely prefer something darker than the unpainted trim that's there now.

• AngelaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, thank you SO much for taking the time to do all of those!!

I think we have decided to trust our architect's lead and go with a darker color. He hasn't lead us wrong so far, and I trust his vision. We did decide to leave the trusses a natural color so that they won't disappear into the facade.

Thanks again guys! I'll try to post a pic when it's painted so you can see the results!

• snuffycuts99
    9 years ago

I really like bm inspired...tend to like the lighter options, as well.

• AngelaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just an updated image from the architect today. Here it is mocked up with the color he's recommending:

My husband adores it. He's from the UK, and I think it has that English cottage look that he loves. I definitely had to look at it several times before the shock wore off- and then I found myself starting to like it too! We'll see how I feel when it's really done :)

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Love it. Matches the windows.

• sherwhy
    9 years ago

I'd follow the architects lead. Looks great to me.

• AngelaZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks red_lover & sherwhy! I was a tough covert. I'd looked at it with the primer for so long it was just hard to imagine dark! But I'm suprisingly really fond of how it looks! I think once we have landscaping and grass, it will really come together. The plan was for shutters as well, but I don't think that's going to be in the budget, so we will add those next year.

Dekeoboe- yes those are the downspouts. I'll mention the color to him and see what he thinks.

Thanks for all your wonderful input! Love this forum!

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    9 years ago

I assume you'll have some sort of railing on the porch and steps (safety issues). Has the style and color been decided?

Claire