Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibewye

Correct window jamb alignment?

ibewye
10 years ago

Was looking at a friends new house he's building and noticed several windows that don't seem seem to sit flush with the finished drywall. Some windows were so bad the upper jamb was recessed below the drywall and the bottoms were protruding beyond the face of the drywall from 1/4" to 1/2" at the most. others window seemed to be sitting level but still protruding from the drywall face evenly, yet still a few we're set completely flush or slightly recessed below drywall surface like I would expect them to be.
I always assumed that the trim was placed to cover the edge of the exposed jamb. Is there that much room for I know a good finisher can hide some level of imperfection but if the jambs are rocked that far out of plumb then is it possible to hide that kinda oops.
In case your wondering the only clue I can find is that the windows that seem to be sitting correctly below drywall face are yet to have siding installed around them. The vinyl siding installers have been complaining that the the framer hadn't used enough screws around the exterior flange (apologize for lack of correct term) so they put some more in for him. I'm thinking that as they've putting on siding and adding screws it's throwing windows out of plumb and they haven't realized it cause they haven't gone inside. The finish carpenter is from out of town and won't be here till next week so it's gone un-noticed.

Comments (7)