Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

Casement vs regular windows

Aims
9 years ago

We got our quote on windows recently. The casement windows are $67 more expensive than regular windows. My husband was kind of leaning towards casement because that is what he grew up with. But to be honest, we don't use our windows a whole lot. They let in light and they look pretty, but we don't open them a whole bunch.

Do some folks do casement windows in some areas and regular windows in others? I thought maybe doing casement on the windows in the front of the house which is our library area, and both guest bedrooms and also the windows that are in the family room going into the backyard. Then our master bedroom, kitchen, and dining room would have normal windows.

Or we could save hundreds of dollars and do regular windows everywhere. That might help counteract the fact that the front door we want is $175 more than what we budgeted and we are going to get a patio door in our master bedroom that has the blinds inside the glass because that was $150 more.

What kind of windows do you have and are you happy with them?

This post was edited by aimless07 on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 1:14

Comments (23)

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Casement windows ARE regular windows around here. What are you considering for the alternative? Sliders? Fixed?

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Yes, you can do casements in places and double hung in others. Sometimes casements work better when the double hung would be hard to reach to open, but would be able to crank a casement from below, such as over a kitchen sink. I sometimes have just the top of a double hung open part way with my top down blind just open down to same height-fresh air, but still private. I also would feel safer going to bed with the top of a double hung open rather than a full casement. YMMV

This post was edited by lizbeth-gardener on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 1:32

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe it's a single hung window?

In our area, if you are on a budget, you do those type of windows. Casement are a higher price point so not everyone puts them in their budget.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

You can google images. To me double hung windows are when you have one window over the other and they are both moveable, but just in one frame. Or are you talking about stationary ones that don't open?

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The only one we would have that doesn't open is the window in the master bathroom.

I think it was a single hung where the bottom part goes up and down and folds to the inside to be cleaned.

• eibren
    9 years ago

If you have central air it might not matter, but of course you cannot easily use an air conditioner or a fan in a casement window.

I like the versatility that having some casement and some conventional windows allows, and I like being able to control the air quality in my home by using a variety of methods rather than being dictated to by a central air system

Additionally, you will find the blinds enclosed in glass to be one of the best investments you have made. They are wonderful for reflecting back heat while still allowing a view outside. I have some in the west facing sliding glass doors on my sun porch. Combined with thermal drapes, I have complete heat control summer and winter with them.

In our two larger bedrooms, we have wide casement windows up high and conventional windows on the other outer walls. I like this arrangement very much, as the high casement windows allow more versatility in arranging furnishings.

• nini804
    9 years ago

I think it depends on the style of your house! We have a traditional brick 2-story, and double hung look appropriate. The more European styled homes in my neighborhood have casements. One neighbor used casements on a Georgian home, and it just looks a tiny bit "off" to me. But I am probably the ONLY person who thinks that! I also like the depth of double hung windows...casements are a little too flat to the facade for me. I do agree that they are easier to use, though! :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We went with casements and I'm pleased with them....as I recall reno8 made a strong case against them and then deleted it. It was a shame as it made a good point/counterpoint for people who are making that decision, to know the good and the bad. Perhaps he'll repeat his arguments.

We like our casements due to their energy efficiency...when they seal, they seal tight, DH don't. When they are open, they act like fins on the house catching every passing breeze and directing them into the home. They are also easy to open in areas that are hard to reach. For example, my mother could never open her DH over her kitchen sink as she didn't have the upper body strength to lift them. So especially high windows or windows over counters, casements are great. The screens are easily removable so for the parts of the year when the windows aren't open, you can remove the screens and have a clearer view out the window. I'm not a fan of the mullions on the DH that always seem to be at eye level making it difficult to enjoy the view outside, vs the casements where you can have the entire window open to the view if you wish.

As I recall, some of the negatives include the fact that the whole window itself is exposed to the weather when they are open, the screens are on the inside so leaves, grass, bugs, etc can get trapped in the home between the screen and the window. The crank mechanisms can break and are a pain to deal with to replace. The windows are harder to "crack open" if you like to let in just a little bit of air at night.

• aam31
    9 years ago

Our builder recommended we keep it consistent throughout. We were also considering a mix of casement and double hung to save money. Not sure what price point you're at, but in my opinion casement windows look much better in higher end homes.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

We replaced the windows in our house a few years ago, casements to casements. But we did change the number of operable windows, to reduce costs. For example, in the bedrooms, there are double windows, with one operable and the other fixed. In the living room and family room, with triple windows, just one is operable.

I like casement windows, and as others mentioned, around here they are the norm, perhaps because we have severe winters, and casements seal well. They are also easy to wash, since I can open the window and reach both sides.

• Brian_Knight
    9 years ago

+1 for casements. Air leaks are probably the biggest reason to me. If youre going for energy code blower door test minimums like you should be, choosing casement over DH could be all the difference in pass or fail.

They also tend to have less thermal bridging. Annie lays out a good case and agree the horizontal frame division right in the middle of the window drives me nuts.

As for price difference, I usually see plans where there are arguably too many operable windows. Changing some to fixed can sometimes make up for the price upgrade. Perhaps most importantly, choose the right SHGC and Uvalues to meet current international energy code minimums and install them on a properly sloped and flashed rough framed sill and dont tape over the bottom flange!

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

eibren, we are doing central air conditioner

Lizbeth- And I think doing a casement over our kitchen sink is a good idea. Regardless of our final decision about other windows, we will do a casement there.

annkh, I like the idea of having a mix of having windows that are not operable vs those that are. The windows that don't move were quoted lower than the other types of windows. Now that you have it, does everything still look right?

I went ahead and attached our elevation sheet.

On the front (north)..the far left is a fixed window in our garage. Going to do rain glass or something similar. The closed shutters are faux. No window there. Next, the window into our reading nook, the largest window is a guest bedroom, tiny window is closet, and the other normal window is our other guest bedroom.

East- Patio door from master bedroom with the blinds inside the glass, the triple window is in our formal dining room, tiny window in laundry room.

Rear (South)- To the left- 2 single windows for master bedroom, the 2 sets of double windows are from the family room, the small window is above kitchen sink.

West Side- tiny window in master closet and fixed window will be frosted or something for master bath.

Thank you so much for your feedback! Very helpful thus far.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

When the windows are closed and the screens off for winter, the only difference between operable and not is the small crank, which folds down out of the way.

• Brian_Knight
    9 years ago

You should specify High SHGC Low E windows for your South/rear if you want to save on heating costs.

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We will be doing that, Brian. Thanks :)

Thanks for you response annkh.

• stblgt
    9 years ago

we did casements on the front and double hung on the rear. we do hall taller windows in the back, but not much of a view....so it works well for us.

• stblgt
    9 years ago

we did casements on the front and double hung on the rear. we do hall taller windows in the back, but not much of a view....so it works well for us.

• stblgt
    9 years ago

• Ben14
    9 years ago

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but...
    Does anyone know if you can rig up a casement window air conditioner in a regular slider window? We just received a casement unit, but we don't have casement windows. We got it from friends who left the state. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Casement Window Air Conditioner

• houses14
    9 years ago

I like to have outside air in good days, double hung windows for me only.
    My house is not high end. It is 4500 SF + unfinished basement.

• mdln
    9 years ago

While there are some very good reasons for casements, I selected double-hung. For casements, I do not like the screens on the inside (outside is a little more kitty proof). Also do not like how when they are open, it is very apparent they are open. Lastly, I have encountered too many casements where the handle is broken (work & previous apartment). JMHO.

• mom2sulu
    9 years ago

We have double hung for the majority of the house but casement for our four season room--all window room. Again as many have mentioned for the efficiency. I would use casement where you need that.