Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile/granite/slate flush hearth options for fireplace - help?

Posted by Mom23Es (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 22:24

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. We are almost done making decisions for our house... I HOPE! I'm still struggling with the fireplace treatment. We went back and forth about doing a raised hearth, and in the end we decided to go for a flush hearth instead. I think it will work better for our needs.

I LOVE the look of a black cleft slate facing with a white surround/mantel. I would rather not have grout lines of the tile. I've been told that if I go with a solid one piece stone, then the hearth on the floor will be raised above the level of our hardwood floors. I really don't want this. I want the hearth and our hardwood to be flush. I think a very slightly raised hearth will be a tripping hazard.

What are my options for getting a truly flush hearth on the floor? Do I have any besides tile?

FWIW, we're getting a gas only fireplace.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile/granite/slate flush hearth options for fireplace - help?

Absolutely you do! We used Carrara marble, and it is flush. Our builder had to search a little to find the thin slabs...but it CAN be done! My neighbor used slate, and hers is flush, too.

Here is my FP...
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And here is a little bit closer shot...
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Yes you should be able to get it...we got a one piece marble (same slab used in the surround) and it sits flush with the flooring.

If it can't be done for whatever reason, then you should be able to get a carpenter to make a wooden bevel to match your flooring as a transition piece so you won't trip or whack your toes. We have slate flooring under our wood stove and the mason put a bevel on the edge of the slate to prevent just that.

o

We went with granite--I found a remnant that I loved, in a size that would work, and for a really good price. As the granite is thicker than the hardwood, the hearth sits slightly above the hardwoods and has a beveled edge. We have not had any problems with tripping and I attribute that to the beveled edge. Another option if you go with granite is to go with the thinner grade.

Here's a pic of ours:
Fireplace

Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here