Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhbuckeye

Please help with first drawings

rhbuckeye
9 years ago

Hi all, long time lurker and new member. Finally in the process of getting drawings completed. All of you are a wealth of knowledge and I wanted to see what you think of our drawings and revisions. I would love any and all help. Give me any of your ideas. I am in hopes that the images load. First pic is of our inspiration house and the following pics are front elevation and first and second floors. House is 4 bed, 2 1/2 bath and first plans came in roughly at 3100 sf. I have attempted with my weak ms paint skills to reduce some of the size and posted the revisions. Thanks for the help in advance.

Comments (12)

• rhbuckeye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Exterior

• rhbuckeye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First floor

• rhbuckeye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

second floor

• rhbuckeye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

second floor changes

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

rhbuckeye, even when I click on the image and it enlarges a bit, it is not possible to read any of the sizes or room names on the plan.

I Zoomed in to the point where the first floor was 10" wide on my screen (from wall to wall), and at that point I could read the pencilled size of the garage and could guess at a few of the other pencilled numbers. I could not distinguish any of the room names ... nor whatever is printed below the room names (can't even tell if it's letters or numbers).

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 22:32

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

[oops: inadvertent dup]

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 22:34

• rhbuckeye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry about that, thanks for the heads up. My computer skills are weak but I will work to enlarge the images somehow. Well I knew I was going to mess up my first post some way it was fate.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

No worries. You can simply go back and edit your posts with the better images.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

In the inspiration house the dormers do not align with the ends of the house. This alignment will alter the appearance of the house and create some awkward detailing.

A side elevation will help but you need to draw your house in perspective view to know how it will really look. In the real world it is not possible to see your house in an elevation view.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I also can't really read the plans.

What is your goal in reducing square footage? To save money? Or some notion of how many sf your house should be?

Is that a mudroom you enter from the garage? If so, it seems like a lot of space in wasted on your mudroom and entry foyer.

It looks like in your revision you went from a 4 bedroom to a 3 bedroom?

• DoggieMom
    9 years ago

I have this same house saved in my Houzz Ideabook! :)
    Beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stonewood

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Downstairs:

- Lots of wasted space in the foyer, but great sight lines.

- The mudroom could be made more narrow without loss of functionality . . . And that would allow you to make the pantry larger, which is always a plus.

- I'd rather see the powder room open into the foyer. That means that guests wouldn't have to pass through your kitchen and into a "service area" to reach it.

- The island ought to be turned 90 degrees to align with the longest side of the kitchen. It'll also form a better boundary for the kitchen.

- No fireplace?

- I'd want a short closet under that extra-large staircase. It's too much storage space to waste. It could open into the dining room, the family room, or the study.

Upstairs:

- I like your revisions much better than the original. Particularly I like that the secondary bedrooms are now a comfortable size. The original ones were a little skimpy and didn't match the rest of the house. Also you've reduced the wasteful hallway to a space that's still comfortable but isn't oversized for no reason.

- The J&J bath vanity is squeezed to the limit with two sinks. It'd be better to have one sink . . . And some storage in that area. Note that at this point you don't really have a spot for a trash can or a hamper.

- I think the linen closet would be better opening the other direction. This would mean the door wouldn't open towards the stairs . . . This would make it more comfortable to stand and open the doors (without feeling that you might tumble backwards down the stairs) and you could have some nice artwork as on that wall as a focal point as you walk up the stairs. Also, that closet isn't really deep enough to act as a walk-in . . . I'd make it a reach-in, which would allow you to enlarge the tub/toilet area in the bathroom.

- The master bath has a great deal of wasted floor space.

- The bedroom doors are mostly swinging the wrong direction. Note that if you walk in these doors, you'll be facing the wall and will have to uncomfortably walk around them to get into the room.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 21:02