Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ceilings options for back porch

Posted by bmh4796 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 21:53

what are some ceiling options for a back porch besides beaded board?

budget friendly suggestions would be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ceilings options for back porch

I cant remember what the exact name of what we used was called v-groove board? It is much wider than bead board, and there are little bevels or grooves between each board. It could be painted or stained...we had ours painted our version of "haint blue" (sp?)...a traditional color for porch ceilings here in the South.

o

What sort of material are you thinking of using? What do you want it to look like, as there are many, many choices in a vast array of materials?

o

We used 4x8 sheets of Hardi Board and trimmed it out with 1x4's - I wanted to mirror the look of the flat coffered ceiling in the great room and love how it turned out.

Back porch ceiling
porch ceiling

Great room open to porch
IMG_5093[1]

o

dbl post

This post was edited by parsonse on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 16:29

o

Don't know if its too labor intensive or not but I once saw a porch ceiling made out of boards from wooden pallets. It looked really nice, rustic, but really nice. I'm actually considering it for the porches on our future build.

o

that looks nice parsons. i wonder if that is cheaper than v groove and beaded board. i will show the builder your pic. i really like it! it's fresh and simple.

o

Tin roofing ... just ordinary galvanized barn and silo stuff.

Unpainted, it reflects light nicely

o

Our house is vinyl sided with azek trim, so our porch is coffered in azek with vinyl sheets for the ceiling.

We've since installed a ceiling fan in the center coffer.

o

Lazygardens, on the tin roofing, do you put up some kind of panels like particle board, or something similar, to attach it to or is it just attached to the rafters? Anybody done this?

o

Here is a quick pic of ours...it is very simple.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

lazygardens, can you show me a picture of yours?

o

We actually did tongue and grove cedar, stained. It turned out great and is a very classic look in my opinion! wasn't took bad- could have done something besides cedar but we were warned cedar would hold up the best.

We did our front and back porch for roughly 4k. Could have been cheaper as well but we went with clear cedar.

The crown will be painted black as well.

Clayton

o

front porch as well!

o

I haven't done it, it's under consideration for the "dream house".

here's some pictures.

It would be nailed to the rafters and cross-furring, just as if it were a roof, but upside down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steel roof/cieling for veranda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here