Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

ceilings options for back porch

bridget helm
10 years ago

what are some ceiling options for a back porch besides beaded board?

budget friendly suggestions would be appreciated

Comments (14)

• nini804
    10 years ago

I cant remember what the exact name of what we used was called v-groove board? It is much wider than bead board, and there are little bevels or grooves between each board. It could be painted or stained...we had ours painted our version of "haint blue" (sp?)...a traditional color for porch ceilings here in the South.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

What sort of material are you thinking of using? What do you want it to look like, as there are many, many choices in a vast array of materials?

• Beth Parsons
    10 years ago

dbl post

This post was edited by parsonse on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 16:29

• jdez
    10 years ago

Don't know if its too labor intensive or not but I once saw a porch ceiling made out of boards from wooden pallets. It looked really nice, rustic, but really nice. I'm actually considering it for the porches on our future build.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

that looks nice parsons. i wonder if that is cheaper than v groove and beaded board. i will show the builder your pic. i really like it! it's fresh and simple.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Tin roofing ... just ordinary galvanized barn and silo stuff.

Unpainted, it reflects light nicely

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Our house is vinyl sided with azek trim, so our porch is coffered in azek with vinyl sheets for the ceiling.

We've since installed a ceiling fan in the center coffer.

• jdez
    10 years ago

Lazygardens, on the tin roofing, do you put up some kind of panels like particle board, or something similar, to attach it to or is it just attached to the rafters? Anybody done this?

• nini804
    10 years ago

Here is a quick pic of ours...it is very simple.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lazygardens, can you show me a picture of yours?

• degcds
    10 years ago

We actually did tongue and grove cedar, stained. It turned out great and is a very classic look in my opinion! wasn't took bad- could have done something besides cedar but we were warned cedar would hold up the best.

We did our front and back porch for roughly 4k. Could have been cheaper as well but we went with clear cedar.

The crown will be painted black as well.

Clayton

• degcds
    10 years ago

front porch as well!

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I haven't done it, it's under consideration for the "dream house".

here's some pictures.

It would be nailed to the rafters and cross-furring, just as if it were a roof, but upside down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steel roof/cieling for veranda