Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akshars_mom

Front entry door Solid wood (mahagony) or Fiberglass

akshars_mom
10 years ago

We need to decide on our our front entry door soon. We are trying to decide if we should go with a Wood (Mahagony) door or a fiber glass door.

We are in northern California and the house faces south and the door will have a small porch roof giving it some protection.

Any opinions on what is better. Also if you can mention the brand door and if you went with wood or fiberglass that would be great.

I have looked at TM Cobb, Simpson doors and Jeld-wen so far.

Thanks

Comments (24)

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks WindowsonWashington.

Can you recommend a good brand. I see that Provia and HMI doors come highly recommended for fiberglass doors but I could not find a dealer for HMI in California and the dealer for provia is about 2 hours away.

Any others you would recomend.
    For the wood doors whom do you recommend.

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

For solid wood, we have a Rogue Valley mahogany door. It is lovely and well-built.

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Chibimimi. Looks like we have a few dealers for Rogue valley doors so will look at them.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Decent door, I would look at the Simpson first. In fiberglass if not Povia pr HMI the lowest I would go is ThermaTru but from a real lumberyard/building supply not Lowes any other box store for doors or really millwork but that is just my opinion.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

If you are in the SF Bay Area and are planning to have glass in your door, you might consider getting a quote from Wooden Window in Oakland at least for comparison.

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks millworkman. Simpson is one of the companies we are considering if we go with Wood door. I looked at the ThermaTru fiberglass doors at a window and door store and lumber store but we are still not sure on fiber glass.

Oaktown,
    We are in the SF bay area ( peninsula). Will look into wooden window.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

We did a fiberglass door by Mastergrain, but it was site stained by a company called Doorway. The trim around the transom is mahogany. I love it. It looks like wood to me, but insulates like fiberglass (cause it is).

Here is picture taken a while back before siding was finished.

Carol

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carol. Your door does look very nice and like wood. I have not found many fiberglass companies recommended so far in our area. Have only found ThermaTru and Jeld-wen and plas-pro. Not sure if is it i because of climate here many people use wood doors or I am not looking the right places.

The thermatru doors are supposed to be decent but the doors I saw so far don't feel like wood to me. I will search more.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

We did not have many options in our area either. Good luck in your search. Unfortunately our door guy is a few miles away (we are in Canada)!

The therma Tru doors we looked at did not look as much like wood as the one we got. I would try another brand.

Carol

• millworkman
    10 years ago

If your looking at Therma Tru look at the Classic Craft line in Mahogany as that is pretty dam close to a wood look. Jeldwen is mediocre and Plastpro is quite a bit lower than that in my opinion.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Listen to MWM...he has forgotten more about doors and manufacturers that they rest of know presently.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

akshars,

I forgot to mention that in addition to the transom framing in real mahogany, we also have the door casing and exterior and interior trim in mahogany. When looking at fiberglass doors in the showrooms, the fiberglass trims and casings really gave them away as being non wood. With our combo it fools the eye better as all is wood except the actual door. Our combo door was far cheaper than if we had done solid wood too.

Because we had a separate door company stain the door, they were able to match the wood trim with fiberglass doors better.

Best of luck.

Carol

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

millworkman, I will look at the classic craft line. The Jeldwen Aurora line of fiberglass does look better in terms of the wood look so far. it is also much more expensive than thermatru which would be ok with, if we felt all the other features of the door were good. I see you mention that the Jeld-wen wood door is decent. How would you compare that to Simpson door?

Carol, Thanks for the info on the casings/trim being real wood. I will see if this is something that will work for us.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Simpson is in my opinion the best "off the shelf wood door" available. Jeldwen is a pretty good door it was better when Morgan owned them but they were dumbed down a little in my opinion when they were purchased by Jeldwen. As far as the Aurora F/G door this if I am not mistaken is the IWP doors which were at the time before Jeldwen purchased them shaky at best in my honest opinion and I have seen no evidence in any of the products Jeldwen produces that they are higher quality than under the prior manufacturers.

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks milworkman. I really appreciate you sharing the information so we can make an informed decision. You are right the Jeld-wen aurora doors are the IWP doors previously.

• pbx2_gw
    10 years ago

I second MWM's sufgestion of Therma Tru! we bought our because the house faces west & though we have a 9 ft deep porch overhang.

We didn't want any issue with the door rotting or warping & chose a Therma Tru Classic-Craft American fiberglass door which looks & feels exactly like wood (includes graining) without all the complications!

• auroraborelis
    10 years ago

I am in Northern California as well and we ordered ours online from Borano.

Haven't received it yet, but it will arrive next month! We ended up needing something custom snd had a difficult time with the local prices.

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura. I was hoping you would chime in. The prices in Northern California are definitely higher then most parts of the country.
    Can I ask how long it the wait time is for Borano to make custom door?

• millworkman
    10 years ago

If you go the custom wood route make certain if your using Mahogany (and that would certainly be my choice) make certain you end up with a Genuine Mahogany and not a "spanish" cedar (for lack of a better term and the "true" names escape me at the moment). If they do not make it out from the appropriate species you will end up no better off than using pine in my opinion.

• armada
    10 years ago

If I can add a question to the mix, I am wondering which series of Simpson doors are the exterior wood type that are "best off the shelf"? I'm looking for a craftsman style.

• pps7
    10 years ago

I love our mahogany door.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Simpson doors in general, pick the style you like the exterior doors are all good.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

*** Duplicate ***

This post was edited by millworkman on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 12:19