Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new2build_gw

Floor Plan Advice?

new2build
10 years ago

Would love to get some feedback on our plan, especially interested in ideas about the kitchen and mudroom area. The island will be rectangle. Thanks!

This post was edited by new2build on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 21:44

Comments (4)

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

I would want the powder room to be larger. We lived in a home with a powder room like that and it was claustrophobic. In such a nice home, I would want a more comfortable powder room.

It's not clear to me how the garage and mudroom connect.

For the kitchen, I'd ask the kitchen forum.

• mommyto4boys
    10 years ago

I really like this plan, and I must say we have a lot of the same layout features. Yours is actually "closer" to our original ideas/wants, but for budget reasons we ended up more "rectangled out" then your plan. Hence, we lost the angled dining room, garage etc. with that said, it is still very similar.

We also wanted one eating area, off the back of the house and we love it! This is personal,preference, but if it were me, I would add a cased entry way entering into the dining room. I would still keep the opening very wide & it would be still open, but in my opinion, look so much more attractive. It would add more architectural appeal, character. It also makes for intimacy of a defined room and a place for paint color to be changed. I'm thinking your dining area says 11 foot wide, so you could even do a 7 foot opening and that would give you roughly 2 feet on each side. Then you could do wall sconces there for the dining room. You would still maintain the openness,,but gain so,much more!

My initial thought was that your master closet is a lot of expense with all those exterior corners bumping out. I don't have any problems with the location or look...if budget is not a concern, I would keep it as it is also.

I'm sure some will comment that your stais are dangerous being a long run without a landing. We have the same and even with 6 boys haven't "yet" had an incident to blame or wish we had a landing. It just didn't work out in our plan a different way.

I would desperately try to get a window into the mud room, even if on the front elevation. A small raised window, somehow would add so much natural light. In one of our original plans we had pulled the garage further from the mudroom, making the mudroom area larger and then added an exterior door leading to the back yard. That would be very nice, unless you are at your square foot max. If you could pull that garage away from the mudroom and stretch that mudroom about 3 feet, you would have so many more options. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain.

I really like your plans, very liveable for a family! Best of luck with your new home!

• mommyto4boys
    10 years ago

Oh, one more thing....

I would consider moving the door out of the dining area & putting it on the back, window wall of the family room. Again, just preferences, but doors around dining spaces seem to get tight quick. And I would like the looks of it better:)

And then the dining room windows can be moved, centered more on the wall.

This post was edited by mommyto4boys on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 6:12

• new2build
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the feedback. Really like the idea of the dining room door off the back instead of off the dining. Also the window in the mudroom. Any thoughts on a 45 degree angle garage vs. a 90 degree angle garage in regards to space and cost? We have been going back and forth on this aspect of the plan. Thanks again for the feedback.