Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with changes to our first draft of house plans...

Posted by dpusa (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 21:26

All

We are building a home and wanted to get feedback from all.
Its the first draft from our builder based on what we provided them in terms of criteria. It is a 4000+ sq ft home, and we want 5 bedrooms, and a study and playroom downstairs and one of the bedrooms there.

All feedback welcome and highly appreciated...

Thanks
Dylan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with changes to our first draft of house plans...

It looks like all the traffic funnels through either the dining room or the kitchen. If you are in the great room, breakfast room, or screen porch, you have to go through the kitchen to get to the power room. (Well, I guess you could go through the foyer and then the dining room.) When you come in from the garage, if you are headed anywhere other than the study, you have to go through either the kitchen or the dining room and foyer.

The mud room is just a hallway. It does not look useful.

Why is there a cut out corner in the master closet?

Can you post larger pictures? I can't read the dimensions.

o

Hey there

Thanks for the feedback. Yes most of the traffic is around the kitchen as that is always the focal point of our houses. Agree about the mudroom, we just wanted a place to put our coats and bags as we come into the house.

For the cut out corner do you mean by the closet?

thanks to you and all regarding any other suggestions.
dylan

o

I'm not understanding the staircase....it looks like to goes up from the foyer, but upstairs, it looks like it goes up the other way?

There seems to me to be some inefficiencies in design....is that steps to get down into the master bedroom?

That niche in the master closet is odd...no idea what's going on on the outside there.

Also consider which way is south and north....are you placing the house with windows and such to capture the light you want?

There are a lot of odd angle, like in the DR and the study.

If you are in the office, where will you go to the bathroom...across the house to the powder room? or around into the bedroom? Can you do a jack n jill with the office to make that more convenient?

The mudroom at the least should have a closet.

o

Annie/all

Thanks for the continued feedback.

Yes the staircase goes up to a finished attic room.

There are 3 small steps to get down into the master bedroom, too allow for the roof line at that part of the house.

That niche by the master closet is because we extended the master closet - any thoughts of how to make it look less odd, perhaps french doors in the middle?

Also consider which way is south and north....are you placing the house with windows and such to capture the light you want?

Great idea about the jack n jill for the office to make that more convenient. Agree the mudroom will have a closet where the cubbies are.

Thanks again

o

The thing I notice upstairs is the lack of any linen closets. Will the laundry room be large enough or have space for extra towels, bedding, etc?

The cutout in the master doesn't bother me as I suspect it will not be evident from the exterior. You lose a bit of space, but it sounds like you've gained more space by extending it.

The other thing I notice is that the master is over the garage. Make sure there is plenty of insulation in the garage ceiling and surrounding walls or heating/cooling will become an issue. I've been in lots of houses with a room over the garage and it's often a problem.

I'm not one to quickly makeover plans, but the other thing that would bother me is the upstairs jack and jill bath and walk-in closet configurations. Is there some way to fit in two sinks or at least separate the sink area from the bath and toliet space?

o

Agree on the insulation in the garage ceiling and surrounding walls - hugely important and will be discussed with the builder. Another similar home they have built has a bonus room over the garage and we noted it was nice and cool in there even in 100F outside but we shall track it during build.

Ref the linen cupboard, we have one in the master behind the shower area but that is it for now. Great point though.

We contemplated the jack and jill for the upstairs - just couldnt find an effective way of having a seperate sink from the bath/toilet - ideas welcomed though as its a great point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here