Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibewye

Sand for texture on new walls

ibewye
10 years ago

I've been watching a couple of homes around me being built and they recently finished painting the walls. As we start ours next month I'm on high alert for the little things. One thing I noticed was the fineness of the walls, not the shiny paint kind but the smooth and crisp kind. They looked very nice but also very modern so it got me thinking.

Our last home was a 1930's colonial built very well and packed with details that added alot of character and charm. One thing I remiember were the plaster walls (no lathe, Sheetrock with wire mesh over top), they had a grit to them that added a light texture to them, come to find out it was common to add sand to either the plaster or the paint before applying to the wall to give it a texture. I really like the roughness it added and it grew on me over time.

My question-has anyone heard of mixing sand with their paint for added texture or any other techniques to soften the walls a touch. Not looking for an adobe or Tuscan spackled look, just a simple roughness. Thanks for any help

Comments (5)