Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Does brick need to be sealed to prevent efflorescence?

threeapples
10 years ago

We have wood mould, sand-faced brick from Old Virgina Brick. Recently we had an estimate from a cleaning company given to us. In the process, they cleaned a segment to show us the difference. The cleaned panel looks amazing as all the mortar smears were removed. Anyway, the owner of the company said that because our brick is very porous it needs to be sealed to prevent efflorescence. I'm wondering if this is accurate. Thanks.

Comments (17)

• User
    10 years ago

Brick shouldn't be sealed. In an area with freeze thaw, water gets behind the sealer and can pop off the face of the brick. It needs to "breathe" to allow water to migrate in and out of it. It's porosity is natural. So is efflorescence.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. So this guy us just trying to sell me a product? He says he works with our type of brick all the time. Thanks for the explanation, Holly.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

You mention mortar smears and efflorescence. Are both present on the brick? Is the efflorescence from the initial construction or later? Was the brick cleaned after construction?

Walls of the more porous kinds of bricks must be very carefully detailed and constructed so you should first determine if that happened.

The first step should be to make sure excessive water is not flowing onto the surface of the brick or directly into the cavity behind the brick and that there are adequate weep holes and they are clear.

Is there a general pattern of efflorescence like above or below openings?

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    10 years ago

agreed. Do not seal it. Sealing it would not prevent efflorescence anyway. The best prevention is the use of quality building products whos natural materails were cleaned of salts prior to production. Mortar products are most common to have some salt in them if the rock and sand was not washed prior to production. Moisture will get into your brick wall, that is the way its designed. It needs a clear, clean path to travel down the air space and drain/wick out.
    Assuming your brick as been up for some time now with rain cycles, if you have not seen it yet, there is a chance you may not ever.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

It is best to keep the moisture out of the brick but traditional sealants are not the answer.

You, if you decide to seal the brick, need a sealant that is breathable and will allow the moisture to dry to the outside.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We do not have efflorescence. We have mortar smears. The brick has never been cleaned, but really needs it.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

Consider that by applying something to the brick you'd be creating a maintenance item, plus should you not like its properties it may not be reversible--like if it changes the appearance of the brick. Even if the effectiveness of this sealer were proven, it would be better to be able to see efflorescence, were it to occur, and know you have a problem with excessive water getting into the wall which you could address.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

He suggests that the act of pressure washing the brick to remove the mortar smears will fully saturate the bricks and mortar and potentially cause mold, cracking, or other problems.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

Pressure washing at a high enough pressure to remove mortar traces is likely to damage the face of the brick, and fully saturating the brick might actually cause a bloom of efflorescence.

How did they clean the sample section?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They used a brush and light water pressure. It looks really nice, actually. I'm inclined not to seal the brick, but we do need it to be cleaned. The photo shows the cleaned section.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Please do report back what happens. I am glad there is a way to clean mortar goofs off brick as we have some too. Is your brick sand faced (the kind that has sandy particles on top)?

You have chosen a beautiful brick good job you have found a way to clean it.

Carol

• dadereni
    10 years ago

Glad that the gentle cleaning worked. Looks nice.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it is sand-faced. Thank you, we really love our brick, too. I can't wait to see it all clean.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

If I am not mistaken a "sand faced" brick is not supposed to be pressure washed period and that the manufacturer only recommends a gentle cleaning.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Sand molded brick is different from conventional bricks. I wouldn't do anything to it without the advice of the brick manufacturer.

Removal of excess mortar has nothing to do with efflorescence so I can think of no reason to seal the brick regardless of the climate.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Hi Threeapples,

Did you get your bricks cleaned using the low pressure, pressure wash? How did it turn ou? Did you find a noticeable amount of sand coating came off? I would love an update, as we are faced with mortar goofs as well on sand molded bricks.

Carol

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi. I have no update yet, but will surely post back when I do.