Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtguy_gw

Floor Plan Review / Ideas for Small Upgrades

MTguy
10 years ago

I have already accepted a bid for this floor plan, but I would appreciate any advice on small tweaks I could make here. My builder and I have a good relationship and I have the ability to make small changes "as we go." I am also looking for small upgrades I can do myself. Some of the upgrades I am considering are electric radiant flooring in the master bath, towel warmer in the master bath, and automatic lights in the pantry/mudroom/master closet. If anyone is interested, I'm just getting started but I am going to do a home build blog at www.ultimatehomestead.com

Here is a link that might be useful: www.ultimatehomestead.com

Comments (31)

• Karen15
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Will the door to your pantry be a regular door or will it be similar to your cabinets? I'm only asking because I like your placement and could possibly put a walk in as well in mine but wonder what that door looks like.

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It will be a "regular" door. I am still considering doing a frosted glass insert in the door, but like everything else I want to do... it costs more money. Right now it is a white 6 panel door to match the rest of the interior doors. The pantry/cabinet layout is what led me to this floor plan. It is much less expensive to build a pantry like this than to install a bunch of cabinets in the kitchen to store the same things. As an aside, my cabinets are all white painted maple and my island is an ebony stained maple of the same design.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

If you DIY your radiant floors, make sure your electrician knows in advance so the circuit is run. You need a home run/dedicated circuit for radiant in the bathroom.

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks kirkhall. I did know that from researching it and am fortunate to have a reasonable electrician and 2 (that's right 2!!!!!) electrician friends who will help me out with ancillary projects like this for a few beers.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Also, I'd add more windows, in general. Any reason why there are none on the left side? Or, the back of the MBR?

Your garage already takes up A LOT of frontage (and potential window area), so having more across the back and side would be important to me.

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More good thoughts kirkhall, and I appreciate it. I didn't put windows on the left wall as it is the north wall and it would be the least energy efficient. The other reason is that with the open floor plan that is the only wall available for a TV. I do hope to be able to put in a gas fireplace on that wall in the near future (if not right away when I get a contract on my current property for full price). I am even having the gas ran to that wall in advance. I admit it does feel almost awkward without a window on that wall though.

In the MBR I actually moved the window from the east wall to the south wall for better solar gain and because I plan to have a patio right under where that window would have been. I am considering putting a pergola that would be mounted on the wall there as well. I have considered doing a series of 3 small windows mounted higher on the wall as well, but didn't include them as a cost saving move.

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just so you can see it, here is an elevation of the front and back of the house.

• auroraborelis
    10 years ago

Can you extend the square footage? I would pull out the right side of the house so it all lined up with the garage pop out as it would give you some much needed space in the master bedroom.

Also, while I see what you are saying in your response regarding the windows, I think you need to play with furniture placement and find a way to add a few more windows!

• justinjk
    10 years ago

I also think you need more windows. French door from master would be nice too. I would put in a 2' wall at the end of cabinet next to stove.
    Don't forget to wire wall for TVs with outlets and 2 HDMI outlets to where cable box and dvd player or add conduit

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, increasing the square footage is not an option. I already increased the square footage by 100 sq ft to get to where I am. I have attached my plans for the future so you will have an idea as to why I don't want a window on the back wall. I currently have a sliding glass door in my master bedroom and wouldn't do it again. It's nice for letting the dog out in the middle of the night on the rare occasion he needs out, but it gets a little drafty and I don't get the "safe" feeling I'm looking for in my bedroom. Having a window behind my head when I'm sleeping also makes me uncomfortable, so I don't see myself changing the windows in the MB either.

I have considered doing 2 small windows on the north end of the home (the wall with no windows) that could flank a fireplace, but still feel like I should have some wall space in the house.

What do you all think about making the main picture window a 48" tall window so I can at least put a piece of furniture underneath it? I added it to the the drawing as well. It seems I'm not gaining anything by having the 60" tall window as all I would see from there is the porch railing. I've played with furniture placement software and I find myself disliking the open floor plan in that regard (although I like it in real life). There doesn't seem to be a great layout that I've found yet. I'm still wondering where the Christmas tree is going...

I will definitely be wiring the whole house with Cat5e or Cat6 and coaxial cable as well as HDMI to the main living room. I also will be adding a whole house sound system.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone and keep them coming.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I know its not what you want to hear but... I would have to add more windows in every room.

• User
    10 years ago

How wide is your lot? Is there any way you can get more HOUSE frontage? Right now, it's GARAGEsize>housesize> and that's not the most attractive to your neighbors or for resale.

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys for the input. I am comfortable with my choices on windows. I can only see the possibility of putting 2 small windows on the left side flanking a TV/Fireplace area. I am more likely to put in skylights. This is going to sound like a rhetorical question, but why do you think I need more windows? Is it for light, cross ventilation,....?

hollysprings, you are right. It is all garage up front. It is something that I have never liked, but I am unfortunately stuck with it. I wanted to enter from the garage into my main living area and this fit the bill the best of all of the floor plans I've looked at. Part of my problem is my budget. This is already going to be over $300,000 and I would consider it an entry level house. To answer your question, my lot is 200' wide and 500+' deep. Total it is 2.33 acres.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

LIGHT! Where do you live that you want to live in a hole?
    Skylights would help tremendously...but they are hardly more energy efficient than good windows in the walls.

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

I have to agree if you are worried about resale in any way you should consider adding more windows. I would personally not consider a house with enough windows and light.

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm, I guess I can only think of 2 places where I could even add windows. I could add on the north side (left in picture) on the living room side but I feel like it is the only place for a TV. The other option is on the East wall (top in picture) in the Master Bedroom but there is a large window on the adjacent (south) wall. I will have 5 feet of windows in the living room plus a glass door. In the dining room I will have a 6 foot all glass door as well as a window above the sink. My architect actually recommended against adding a sidelight in the entryway because he thinks I'll have too much light as it is in the area.

• auroraborelis
    10 years ago

Assuming your bed is facing to door to the master bedroom you could add a window above each nightstand.

Sidelights next to the front door would add balance to the front elevation.

I see the TV placement issue, but at the same time feel you need more windows...

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Why more windows? Natural light. You don't want to be always turning on lights during the day. Ventilation. View.

• User
    10 years ago

With that much acreage, this home plan is completely unsuited to the site. There are other small plans out there that don't have the facade issue that this one does. You have plenty of room for a side load garage and to have the house look like a house. With a much better layout than this plan has. You're spending a lot of money and getting almost nothing in return. No windows, no light, no facade, and a not so great layout. Find something else. Or, at the very least, since you prefer a dark bedroom, move the garage over and turn it so there is a reason to not have windows on that wall. I'll post a sketch later, but I've got to run to a board meeting.

• User
    10 years ago

It sounds like you have a LOT of land you can work with!

Are you absolutely sure this is the right house plan?

If you were building on a small, city lot...it would make more sense. But on such a large plot of land, it doesn't make sense (to me) why this plan is your best option. Not that you have to convince me of anything (ha-ha), but I'm another one who is baffled by the lack of windows. And that huge garage as the front of your home.....isn't all that attractive. Again, in my opinion. It would seem you should have room to put the garage on the side or the back of the home, and let the facade of your new house be something pretty! :)

• mdasay
    10 years ago

Being that you're in the 'fro-zone' I understand some of the decisions. I am attaching another plan for you to see what other options might be out there...this site has a few options in your size range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Options

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again everyone for your input. My choices were somewhat limited on floor plans because I was selecting from builders pre-designed homes. If I went outside of their plans I had a "custom" home and it was going to be 5 to 10 $ more per square foot to build. One of the main reasons I chose this plan was the efficiency of which it would build. Straight walls and a shared garage wall helped the cost quite a bit.

I am lucky because I've been in this floor plan already constructed and really liked the flow. I thought it had adequate light for what it is worth.

Utahman, that is a very nice house but would have be at least another $20000 for me based on sf alone. It has been very interesting to get different opinions on the plan. My dad, who owns a lumberyard and his own construction company for 25 years tweaked it with me already. The door and window salesman recommended that I don't get a sidelight on the front door! My two friends who have similar houses recommended I do a BIGGER garage. Another forum I follow recommended smaller windows for home safety.

In the end, I keep reminding myself it is a starter home (hard to swallow with a total cost over $300000) and I won't get everything I want. I will have plenty of room for myself and my dog though.

what does everyone think about a half wall next to the toilet in the Master Bath? I would like it for added privacy, a display ledge and TP holder but think it is too small.

• momto3kiddos
    10 years ago

I would go for a large rectangular island instead of the angled one you have. Most likely less $$, shouldn't cause a bottleneck in front of the refrigerator, more usable space in cabinets. Just my 2 cents... Good luck.

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Momto3kiddos

That's what I originally tried to do but the angled pantry door meant we had to push the rectangular island out quite a ways. I wanted a rectangular island with a bar height ledge but couldn't make it work quite right. The kitchen designer and 1 tried it 3 ways and my girlfriend didn't like any of them. I really didn't either after seeing how far the island had to be pushed into the living or dining room. I am concerned about the bottleneck by the refrigerator as well, but felt I had the best compromise with what I have. I plan to do a full write up on that on my build log when I get some time.

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just an update. The footprint of the home is now set as I have the excavation dug and should soon have footings (monday). I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate a fireplace into the living room without taking up too much floorspace. I'm thinking centered on the wall between the end of the kitchen cabinets and my front living room wall. Other than that, I've had the draftsman try a few different things with more windows and it takes almost all of the wallspace out of the house. So far, the only windows that my stick are adding a row of transom windows along the top of the master bedroom.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I have automatic lights in my pantry / laundry, and it's the best thing ever. When we build, I will also have them in closets, a couple hallways and on porches.

I'm with everyone else: I'd add more windows to both the great room and the master. Windows are not a thing upon which to scrimp. Light makes the house. I like the idea of two windows flanking the TV in the living room.

I second the idea of a rectangle island in the kitchen. You don't have all that much space, and the angles don't make the most of it. Also, I know you said the pantry attracted you to the house, and I fully agree that a pantry is more efficient than cabinetry -- i'm a huge proponent of pantries, but only of pantries done right. The best placement for a pantry is on the edge of your kitchen. Yours is smack-dab in the middle of your work space, where you need counter space. Additionally, if two people are sharing the kitchen, opening the pantry door will cause a blockage. I'd use cabinets in that corner and do a similar sized pantry where your fridge is located. If you do stick to this pantry, at least install lazy Susans.

Your dining area is small. I'd install a bench on the wall, which would provide a bit of storage and would allow you to scoot a rectangular table closer to the wall.

I wasn't going to mention the garage since you'd already signed on with the builder, and I figured you couldn't make major changes . . . But I also assumed at that point you were working with about a quarter of an acre . . . With two acres, why are you doing this garage out in front? Your house will look like an afterthought.

I'm surprised at what you're paying for this house. Here a similar house (probably with a 2 car garage, 3 cars isn't really a thing here) in a small lot neighborhood could be had for around 100K.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 18:36

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Just read the ultimate homestead site you've mentioned several times.

- Great shopping for appliances. Yeah, it was early, but it's not like you're going to say, "nah, I've decided not to have a stove." You've tested them, haven't you, just on the off-chance that something's wrong with one?

- I see you discuss the garage again on the site. You said people are encouraging you to go bigger. I could read the numbers better on the other site, and I think I know why: The small bay door is only 9' wide. My Honda could fit, though I'd be careful every time I threaded the needle and entered the doors, but a full sized truck probably would need to park on the double-door side. We're planning a garage about this size, which is very comfortable for two cars: space to walk, open car doors without bumping one another. Is this why people,on this board all want three car garages? Are builders promoting undersized bays so you'll need more? Calling this a three car garage, I'm thinking, is a builder trick.

- Also I see that you have a sink in the garage. This sounds like a brilliant idea, and it's "backed up to" an indoor bathroom, so it's budget-friendly. But in North Dakota, is it a freezing hazard? I live in the land of 2" of snow every other year, so I really don't know.

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just an update. The footprint of the home is now set as I have the excavation dug and should soon have footings (monday). I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate a fireplace into the living room without taking up too much floorspace. I'm thinking centered on the wall between the end of the kitchen cabinets and my front living room wall. Other than that, I've had the draftsman try a few different things with more windows and it takes almost all of the wallspace out of the house. So far, the only windows that my stick are adding a row of transom windows along the top of the master bedroom.

{{gwi:1492361}}

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great insight on the garage size. My covenants allow for one out-building up to 2000 square feet. The plan is to build a large garage/shop towards the back of the property so all I'll have in the front garage is a pickup, a car, and some type of snow removal implement. I will have a propane garage heater in the garage to keep the pipes from freezing on the sink.

I've been inside this same floor plan for the kitchen/pantry/dining room and I know it is small. The pantry is actually a walk in with shelving on all of the edges. It works pretty well. I extended the kitchen counters by 2' already and added 2' of width to the dining room as well. I've begun searching for the dining room table set and think I've got one picked out. It has a bench option for one side and is a weathered gray wood. On the appliances, I haven't even taken delivery yet. They'll hold them for a couple months for me and they will be within their warranty period still as well.

I agree that the prices here are insane! I work in banking and do a lot of financing of construction projects. They are up probably 50% over the last few years too, which is a little scary. Even older homes with this square footage are in the same price range.

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought I would update everyone on my progress.... which has been minimal. Bad weather has me behind schedule by almost 2 months now. I did take the advice offered here by many and added 2 windows to my master bedroom.

• MTguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I posted the following in the landscape section over at GardenWeb, but hoped ya'll would have some suggestions as well. There is an additional picture there as well which has the plot map with some notes on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everyone. I have run into a situation in my new construction where I am having drainage problems. Not necessarily for me, but for my two neighbors. In trying to be a good neighbor I'm wondering if you have any ideas to help me out.
    My property lies between two completed houses. The house to my right (off screen in the picture) was having some drainage issues on the front corner of my lot which is the back corner of their yard. They have trees planted and it is the low spot of their yard where the lawn slopes to. There is a bit of slope coming from their lawn towards mine, but I would only estimate it as 4' over Compounding the problem there is that the drainage ditch along the road there overflows it's banks and comes into both of our yards when there is a significant rain or snow melt. When the county inspectors saw the water there (possibly after being called by the neighbors) they required me to put a swale in my yard going from the front of my yard along the side and all the way to the back yard (light blue in the drawing). Not something I really wanted, but hey... life, lemons, lemonade, etc..

My plan was (in the future when money grows on trees) to make the swale into a dry creek bed with river rock and boulders. All draining to a large pond at the end of the swale (to be built later as well). The pond would probably be roughly a 20' by 30' oblong shape. Also along the swale I planned to put in a culvert and road so I could reach the far back corner of my lot where I will build a shop and vegetable garden.

The swale is in now minus any landscaping or rocks and after this springs snow melt the water was running sometimes over 8" deep all the way to the end of the swale and washing out the dirt in the neighbor to my left's tree line. The big culprit, in my opinion was that the ditch along the road was draining through my swale and not through the developers planned drainage to the north (left in the picture). You can see in the plot picture that the easement has drainage heading between two lots to the north of me. Either way, I want to be a good neighbor and try to slow down the velocity of the drainage in the swale and had a few ideas I would like to run by everyone.

First, I wonder if putting landscape fabric down and then small gravel in the bottom of the swale (larger rocks on the side and then a few boulders interspersed as well) would slow down the drainage or speed it up?

Second, If I were to put in a smaller depression/mini pond along the swale's path before a culvert and road crosses it would it slow it further?

Finally, could anyone verify that the pond as a catch basin at the end would be a good solution?

I'm hoping that by landscaping the swale now, unfortunately as an unexpected expense, and following it up with a call to the developer and county regarding the ditch flowing through my yard and not their designed location will be enough to fix it.

Any thoughts on this and also how to landscape/plant along the swale would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Other forum