Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it ok that dentil molding won't be applied on top of brick?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 20:47

i just learned that our exterior molding will not be applied on top of our brick, but rather the brick will not go all the way to the roofline and there will be a space left for the molding. This seems hugely problematic to me. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it ok that dentil molding won't be applied on top of brick

I don't think it's a problem because it isn't the brick that is making the house weather tight or anything, it's a surface application.

o

I agree with pal.

Why does it seem problematic to you?

o

I worry that fypon molding on top Of tyvek isn't much of an exterior shell for our weather.

o

Sounds like what you are referring to is frieze board. Normally used to transition from brick to softit/fascia. The frieze board will sit in a brick pocket which helps to prevent air flow in attic and also to stop bugs from getting into the attic as well. Sounds perfectly normal.

o

" brick will not go all the way to the roofline"

It rarely does.

It is not placed between roof rafters, and has steps on eaves.

The trim is to cover up these areas and make them look finished.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here