Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these drywall gaps typical? I'm annoyed with them

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 20:44

I know door and window casing will cover most of this, but it seems like these holes and gaps should not be so extreme. Am I correct? The last image is the exterior door jamb--seems it should be more exact, right? Uggh.......

Uploaded with Snapbucket

Uploaded with Snapbucket

Uploaded with Snapbucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these drywall gaps typical? I'm annoyed with them

The drywall gaps do look messy to me.

The door thing bugs me in the picture but it's very close up and I wonder if that is within normal limits.

o

Looks very sloppy to me, I would definitely be complaining whether they consider it to be tolerant or not. I feel like I could be a GC after going thru the process of my house build. Just my .02 cents FWIW

o

Are they using a sledgehammer to cut the sheetrock!! It does look a bit sloppy and ripped apart.

o

Ughh. Ok, I'll bring it up to my builder. Can't understand why they think this is acceptable.
Palimpsest, you can see the door gap from my height very easily (5.5) and the door is 8ft.

o

Not normal. Here's what ours look like.

o

Very sloppy. Looks like they tried to cut it with a butter knife. But mud and trim will cover it all. Just hope that their finishing skills are better than their rough application skills. I'd want all gaps around the windows sealed with expansion foam and caulk before the trimwork starts as well. It's just one more layer of proper air sealing the conditioned space you pay for into the home.

o

Yeah, that looks poor. They should fix those big chunks before applying trim.

o

Besides just being a really sloppy job, it appears there is no caulking or foam around the windows. That would make me wonder what's behind the sheetrock in other areas.

o

yeah, i'm pretty concerned. i hate that i have suspicion about other areas. how irritating!

o

it appears to me the shims were sticking out when they put the drywall up and it busted out that piece. It happens, and assuming they patch it and then caulk the space, its no issue. It also appears to me there is low expanding foam between the window and framing.
Alarming? No. Sloppy? maybe. Just have them patch it and have no worries.

o

Is there going to be an casing (trim) around the windows?

Damaged drywall that is going to be covered up by trim is not worth all that much effort.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here