Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

Side Load Garage that is inside the footprint?

autumn.4
11 years ago

I couldn't think of a better way to describe it!

I am intrigued by this home facade. I like it but it's feeling kind of strange to have the garage so tucked into the house, takes side load to a whole new level. The windows on the left side of the door are actually the garage. Is this set up common in any of your areas? Any pros and cons to it (noisy?)? I don't think I've seen anything like this around here.

It's dongardner The Wexler. I like the Fernwood floorplan better but the Wexler exterior better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don Gardner

Comments (11)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I kind of like it. You'd have to have the right lot (a corner one). And, I don't think it would really be right for acreage (unless it was the second home on a property). But, I could see that being built in this area (not that I know that one has).

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kirkhall - I think it looks really quaint and there is something about it that appeals to me. Dh likes it okay but the garage windows being in the front like that bugs him. We pretty much live in a cookie cutter home right now and I'm not wanting custom fancy but definitely something with some character.

We have a wide lot but the thing about a wider plan is all that I have seen have the screened porch sort of in the middle off the great room and kind of flush with the house so only one side is actually screened if that makes sense. The narrow lot plans have the screen porch sticking out so you have 3 sides of screen and because the whole thing is narrow it doesn't look like it's really protruding awkwardly.

More things to ponder I guess. I have no idea what we will end up with - it will be interesting to see the iterations we go through in the process.

Thanks for your input. :)

• david_cary
    11 years ago

It is a funny question to me and I am sure the recent post about screened porch without a roof is funny to people in Florida.

My entire neighborhood has houses that look a little like this one. They are not quite as integrated but that house would fit right in.

I think by covenant, our houses have to look like they have no garage from the front. Usually, the garage is a bumpout and it can be 3 feet or 10 but I believe some are not on a bumpout like this house.

There is no problem with this and only a few houses are corner houses.

I guess I am now wondering what someone means when they say side-load garage? Does it sometimes mean something different than this?

• nini804
    11 years ago

I agree with David, this is very common in my area...I think it is a nice way to hide the garage and make the house look "old." It is much more architecturally pleasing to my eye than seeing big garage doors on the facade.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

David and Nini - good to know! I figured they had to be common somewhere - just not around here. If they are like this one with a side entry the garage is still quite removed from the house and more obvious that it is the garage and not the house.

:) I really liked the fact that it was 'hidden'. I just didn't know if/where it was commonplace. I prefer to look at house more than garage for sure.

Current 'issue' is that the front of the house will have only a small yard and we don't want most of the view to only be garage. So we are debating the driveway approach and if it would be better to drive straight in or have the turn (side load).

The lot was already partially cleared when we bought it so we are trying to work with the existing cleared driveway.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"It is a funny question to me and I am sure the recent post about screened porch without a roof is funny to people in Florida.

My entire neighborhood has houses that look a little like this one. They are not quite as integrated but that house would fit right in. '

Same here.
    Seeing all the houses on this site with front loading protrusions... we don't have those here.

• chiefneil
    11 years ago

It's a nice look, but there's no walkway directly to the front door. If visitors have to walk right up to the garage then hang a right to get to the "front" of the house, isn't that defeating the whole purpose?

• worthy
    11 years ago

Side entry doors are not uncommon in my neighbourhood. (See pic.)

When possible, I much prefer them.

(And this is coming from someone who is now planning a four car front entry garage!)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Autumn.4--check the August 2012 how is your build progressing post and right near the top you will find Xclusive's build. Very similar from the front, with the addition of a 3rd bay that you do see from the front, kind of... Might be worth seeing.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks kirkhall - I will definitely do that...after work!

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kirkhall - yes I think that is essentially the same except they have the 3rd stall. Thank you for passing that along - it's nice to see another one that isn't just a sketch.