Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kymike

Brick mailbox

kymike
12 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of their brick mailbox tha they want to share? We break ground on Wednesday for our 2400SF ranch on 5 acres. The builder will let us pick up and save the brick that is unused and has suggested that we contract separately with his (or another) mason to build a brick mailbox as it would be cheaper for us that way. He seems to think that there are enough usable discards to construct a mailbox.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (6)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    12 years ago

Mine is made of local limestone but if you do a google image search on "brick mailbox", it brings up lot and lots of ideas. You shouldn't have any trouble finding something you like to show whoever you hire to build yours.

Just please, don't do another "mailbox shaped to look like a pistol." Didn't know whether to laugh or cry at that image. Says something about our times - I'm just not sure what.

Oh yeah, in case you're wondering, we paid $400 to have our stone mailbox column built just a little over a year ago. We purchased the actual box that goes into the column separately but the $400 included all other materials and labor including the small concrete slab it sits on. Mine is a simple column, about 2 x 2 x 4.5 tall. (I figure it never hurts to have some idea of what others have paid for a similar service and it is sometimes ridiculously hard to get that info. Took two men about 8 hours to build it so that seemed fair to me.

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

Check local regulations first. Some do not permit the brick enclosures. And how will you repair if vandals tear off the door of the embedded box?

• kymike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks bevangel. It is always good to know about what it costs for each of these "upgrades" that we seem to run into during the building process.

I have googled to look at what is available. I like those with rounded tops and with the planters attached on the side at ground level. Just curious to see what else might be out there that wasn't common.

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

Just a thought...a couple of our neighbors had those, and the snowplow kept hitting them and totally destroying them. Expensive to repair.

• sanctuarygirl
    12 years ago

I was riding around a subdivision today and noticed a new home being constructed and it had the most striking mailbox enclosure made out of some kind of tiles. Not sure what kind, looked like maybe stone or slate, but it was absolutely gorgeous and unique. Thinking that the tiles must be used somewhere else in the home or outdoor living spaces, so the mailbox would be a tie-in with that. Just an idea if you might have some stone trim or tile used on your build somewhere that is suitable for outdoors, it made for a smashing look.

• JMphoto
    12 years ago

Here is our stone mailbox the builder just finished. Just thought it may give you a visual. Number plaques on both sides, I just removed the numbers in photoshop.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm