Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcfromct

No filter for well & sediment in water

mcfromct
10 years ago

We moved into our new home 4 weeks ago. We noticed our water pressure in the master shower was slowly decreasing. We happened to run into the guy who drilled our well and he said we should 'change the filter'. We looked and discovered there is no filter. The plumber never installed one coming off the well. We later called the well guy and told him there was no filter and he said he always suggests a filter but obviously it's up to the builder/plumber to install. He told us to unscrew the shower head and rinse it out bc there may be sediment in there. It turns out there was -dark, fine sand in the showerhead. It works fine now since we cleaned it out. I remember giving my 4-yr old a bath one day and seeing dark black sand at the bottom of the tub but I thought maybe it was just from him-lol! It gives me the creeps bc obviously we are all drinking this stuff too. Is it customary to have a small amt of sediment in well water? Do most people with a well have a well filter? This is the first time I've ever had a well so I have no idea. Approx how much will it cost for us to have a filter installed? We did get a basic report that the water was potable (from the health dept) but I'm wondering if I should have a private company retest it. Am I overreacting?

Comments (4)