Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Builders cut

Posted by holcombe3 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 19:30

I have a question about paying our builder. When he drew up the paperwork outlining the estimate for the house he put he would be charging 10 percent of the cost of labor and materials as his cut. My husband is an electrician and he had him go ahead and bid out the electrical because he was not sure if he would have time to wire the house himself. It bid out to 15000 so we decided to go ahead and let my husband do the work to save that money. My husband has done all the legwork of tracking down materials and buying it and all the labor himself. The builder has just informed us that he still gets 10 percent cut of the materials my husband is purchasing for electrical. Is this right? Should we be paying him a cut for something we are doing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Builders cut

Yes, you need to pay the 10%. Your husband is acting as a sub on the job, and all labor and materials are being marked up. And if you are getting a good job, you ought to be grateful it's only 10%. That's well below market rate and would only work for a one man show who has almost no overhead. Your husband ought to understand the issue, as marking up materials is part of his job as well.

o
RE: Builders cut

It depends entirely on the terms of the contract.

Unless your husband has a sub contract with the GC it is unlikely he is a sub contractor.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 21:37

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here