Return to the Building a Home Forum

o
It's August 2014 -- How is your build going?

Posted by carsonheim (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 19:25

Yay! I get to start one of these. July had I think 401 posts.

My build is going slow. I have roof shingles, scrambling to get HVAC going as I recently learned the guy I had chosen died, and his family is not doing a good job keeping the company going.

What do you guys think about this light fixture?

photo light2_zpse8cb16d0.jpg

I found it at the ReStore for $40. Retro-chic, or notsomuch? It will go in a room with pallet walls, a beer kitchen and lots of guitars. Walls like this:

photo palletwall_zps2450eb96.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's August 2014 -- How is your build going?

Carson- August...arggh. Sorry to hear about your HVAC guy, but really- you are moving quite fast. We were two months behind you after the foundation pour, so your guys are crankin' it out.

I'd have to get more context to visualize the fixture in a room like that, but I think it would work in a mancave kind of room.

o

Not so much for me on the light...too much going on with brass, silver, wood, and candles. Sorry :(

o

Amberm - I love your first pic! So glad to see you finally getting started.

Music - Don't kill anyone now. I'd hate for you to have to sit in jail while the Silver Fox was lounging by the pool.

Carson - I would also say no to the brass light fixture. For you though, if it fits your vision, go for it.

MFatt - We went to pick out fireplace stone yesterday and DH and I had it narrowed down to two choices. We couldn't decide, so we let DS pick. He chose one and we all agreed. When we were placing the order, I saw the lady write down "Echo Ridge". Come to find out, DS picked the same color stone as yours. It is just a different, skinnier shape I think.

Autumn4 - That barn is going to be nice. And what a nice looking climber you have there, testing its sturdiness of course. I love to see pictures of people on here.

Jet - Your place looks beautiful.

o

In all my excitement, I forgot it was August. I posted this on the other thread. :P

Musicgal, it's funny you should say that about Monday equals Thursday. BIL/GC just said the exact same thing. Verbatim. :) Have you really been at this for 4 years? Eek. It must be amazing to actually be moving in. It shows me there's life on the other side.

SIL swears by DB, she said her mother pays for the membership on kitchen cabinets alone every time she redoes a kitchen. The problem is, as far as I can tell, they only use 2 cabinet manufacturers. Neither of those are ones I want to use. Hardwood is another thing she buys, but again, I don't know if it's hardwood I would have wanted.

Oh, and thanks for the Thermal Tru suggestion. They have a Canadian site, but I'll need to look at it on my laptop to find a vendor. Finding doors is a bit of an issue for me. All the usual sources have the same old styles that don't really work with our style of house. I keep finding small companies that specialize in doors, but so far, not exterior doors. Interior doors, or garage doors. If your only business is garage doors, call yourself ABC garage doors, not ABC door solutions!

Carson, I get the feeling there's supposed to be shades on those lights. Would you get new ones? I'm not a fan of brass in any form, but that one is definitely the currently trendy style. Retro, but further back than 80s version of brass.

o

Amber-they say a picture is worth a thousand words but I think in this case that marker is worth a thousand emotions! Congrats! Woot woot! Thankfully you can get there from here, they can't touch/mess with you now as long as you follow the permits correct?!

Carson-the light, it's so different from anything else you have ever posted that I immediately thought that doesn't look like Carson...but if you have it in mind somewhere it wouldn't hurt one but to try it out.

Robyn-where are you?

Harring-how is the countertop replacement hunt going?

Musicgal-longggg process for you! Congrats on moving, I hope the mild temps hang on for you to complete the process!

It was a year ago yesterday that we closed on our old house and staying with parents and inlaws for 4 days waiting for the regal to be ready. Oh my it feels like a million years ago already! So glad that is done!

My helper really did help his Dad and uncle, in between climbs. He is something else, makes me so nervous! His older brother...hmmm not so much. ;)

Happy Saturday! Bonfire and s'mores last night and each and every time I sit outside in our own little sanctuary I love it even more.

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 8:21

o

I'm here Autumn! So much going on here that I haven't had time to post! Basement flooring starts on Wed! They've textured the basement floor and are now starting on the first floor. The stone is coming along and today they are prepping for stucco with a brown layer. They said this will cure for 1.5 weeks before they start the stucco. The landscape is scheduled to start on the 21st of this month. I think I will see a lot of changes soon!

Oh ya, a kitty has made a home in our new house. We've named her Stella but can't keep her because of allergies.

o

Thankfully you can get there from here, they can't touch/mess with you now as long as you follow the permits correct?!

Oh, I wish that were true. We actually only have a partial permit at this point. We are allowed to dig, and build up to the first floor. They are supposed to be reviewing our construction drawings in the mean time. I've been told that this review is pretty straight forward and quick, and that most people get this done before they are ready to move on past the foundation. I've also been told this process is usually less than 2 weeks. But it's been over a week, and they haven't even assigned anyone yet. And then there's all the inspections.

We're also really struggling with trades. Framers aren't even willing to quote. Even the guys BIL has supposedly used before. So it looks like BIL is going to pull together his own crew to do the framing.

o

Jdez- That's too funny. Some of the pieces are quite narrow. Since they sell by the piece you can really customize the sizes and the colors quite nicely. I look forward to seeing it. I think Echo Ridge is the color and it might come in various shapes too.

o

Just got back from our home site. Foundation is now done. We have a crawl space due to the high water table here in the Coastal Plains.

o

Here is another one showing the lake behind our home.

o

Looks good Zoe.

Robyn - Don't evict Stella until you have to. Life is hard on the streets.

o

robyn-I will live vicariously through your landscaping for now, ugh! Stella is so cute - your very own build mascot, so fun! Are the kids getting excited?

amber-I don't even know what to think about that! Permanent build permit soon though yes? Dig girl DIG! Framing was tough. Thankfully bil had some time to do it. Quotes were really quite high, that and excavating, bringing back bad memories!

Zoe-very nice, another spectacular view!

music-so when is your first actual night in the new house?

It's getting dry here so we could use some rain but hopefully not until the barn is completely up...maybe by the end of this coming week?

We made a school supply and oh mom my shoes are way too small run last night. I cannot believe it's already that time of year.

o

Robyn_ I wish we were moving as quickly.

Carson-I think if you are putting that light in a man cave it will look good.

We had a fiasco with our windows, and will now have to wait an addition 3 weeks for them. Grrrrrrrrrr. Okna fired the sales guy we were working with, and we did not find out until we were expecting them to be delivered. Come to find out they havent even been started yet. Ad the price is higher than we were originally told. I finally spoke with the head of the facotry and got them to lower the price some and was told we would have our windows no later than the 25th now. But holy batman the stress of the situation. Sure these windows are as awesome as everyone says since we had this problem. Now we just need to get our substantial deposit back from the fired sales guy. Our builder is putting plastic up to keep our build dry so the trades can finish all the rough-ins they need to, so we are not even more delayed.

o

Oh, jennie, you've given me knots in my stomach. We need to get our windows ordered now-ish. Losing a deposit is the stuff that gives me nightmares!

Autumn, I'm not too worried about the permits anymore. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with it. And, best case scenario, it'll be another month before we can go further anyway. Digging this week (likely not until Thursday, since, as Musicgal pointed out, Monday means Thursday, and tomorrow is a holiday here), then the foundation should be another week. Then we have to do the insulation. Then we need at least 2, maybe 3 inspections. Then we have the excavators come back to do the backfill, then we put on the floor joists and sub floor. Then we'll need the full permit. So maybe more like 6 weeks from now.

DH has offered to take vacation days to help with framing, but his brother is giving him a hard time about it. I have heard the story about a job BIL had about 10-15 years ago doing an addition on a church. The parishioners all came to help out, which apparently made the job take twice as long because they were enthusiastic, but not skilled or strong. BIL was herding cats. DH has an office job, so I think BIL is worried he's going to be a princess. I don't know if he's really worried, or if he's just giving his brother a hard time.

Zoe, love the view, a lake AND a foundation! :)

o

Hi all,

Crazy week with 5 Swimming events for DD's in 7 days! I am exhausted but at least we have the next month off before Short course training starts up again. Kiddos will travel to "camp Grandma & Grandpa" next week so I am hoping to get on top of a lot of details this next week before we travel. Little nervous about being away and not being at the build site everyday as I am a bit of a control freak but know the builder will keep me updated w/ regular pics and calls.

This past week was a busy on at our site...hvac and plumbing were started and should finish by the end of this week. Siding was started and will probably take a couple more weeks. Stone was started on Friday and the sub thinks it should be done by the end of the month. This week I will do my electrical walk through and meet with the landscapers. We have had a lot of rain this summer and our lot is a total mud pit!

Will catch up with what has been happening with everyone elses builds tommorrow once I am over my swim mom fatigue! And will post some pics, too;-)

o

Zoe- very pretty and tranquil lake setting.

Autumn- maybe tomorrow will be the first night I sleep in the new house although I really shouldn't. No official CO yet. But we are continuing to move things up there. We have some plumbing and the lights are on-floors are clean and the doors lock so I am thinking of camping out tomorrow night. Sleeping bags and the crickets, but indoors in the AC.

No internet there so I may fall off the grid for a few days. Everybody's progress is looking great.

o

We are packing, moving, packing some more....movers coming for furniture Tuesday. We did take some time yesterday evening to have a glass of wine on the new screened porch. We had a neighbor drop in to introduce himself.

o

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. It is great to know there are others going through this with us.

This week will be backfilling around the basement walls, garage foundation, and in the garage. Hoping by the weekend, or beginning of next week to begin framing! Lord knows my 9 month pregnant wife needs to see some walls going up to give her peace of mind that we are making progress LOL.

o

Jackson.. love your new neighbor. Hopefully, s/he won't decide to eat your landscaping though. I am just starting out... hopefully we will be in our new home before the holidays.... somehow I feel it will not be until Feb though.

Thanks for all the kind words re: our new building site. I have been busy picking out tile and bathroom fixtures for our home. This is definitely the fun part of the build.. at least until we see how much it will all cost! Hoping to stay as close to our allowances as we can on most of the bathrooms, with the exception of our Master.

o

We start insulation tomorrow. Hoping all goes smooth. We just sat for a full week and a half waiting on inspections for electrical. Grrrr.
I have a photo bucket album.

Here is a link that might be useful: New House

o

Jackson-love your new neighbor! Dh put up a game camera in our back hard and out of 160 pics only 1 was a doe and fawn. The rest were squirrels and chip munks! I suppose my large dog doesn't help.

Zoe-enjoy!

o

Everyone's progress is great. Not much house news here, I just finished up a fantastic weekend full of house guests as we celebrated DD upcoming wedding with a shower and spa day! It was heavenly not to think about the house :) Thinking I should call the builder and start up the process again, but I'm in lazy mode and enjoying some quiet time. I go back there next Monday and the electrical plan will be front and center. I posted in the lighting forum as well as responded on another post with this same question, so excuse me if you have already seen it - Since we are trying to maximize views with 8 foot high windows and 10 ft ceilings in most areas, Living room has 14 ft vault, we were thinking of just staying with recessed led cans and sconces in the bathrooms. In other words no chandeliers to block views but I hate to miss the layered lighting and decorative element lighting fixtures bring to the place. Any suggestions??

o

Cans on a vaulted ceiling aren't usually a good idea. The basic ones shoot straight down. If your ceiling is slanted, the light shoots in the direction the ceiling faces. You can get ones that pivot, but the angle isn't usually very good, and getting it pointing the right way is a pain. How much of a view are you going to get over 8'? If your ceiling is 14', that's 6' down the chandelier will hang, and unless you have some stilt walkers in your family, it wouldn't block the windows, would it?

You could also consider wall sconces for more layered lighting.

o

Harring, we have cans on our vaulted ceiling in our current home. We don't have any problems with the lighting like Amber describes. They work great. We have six on a main switch which is for when we need a lot of light (these are rarely used), and two that are over the fireplace (these are great for more ambience type lighting). They are switched separately.

o

So I thought I would post my first message re: building my house. Its been slow going - much slower than I thought. When we first embarked on this project, I thought we would already have the foundation finished by now. BUT we have not even received our permits yet. I think our builder is super busy and we are not at the top of the list. Its very frustrating and I hope it is not representative of what the rest of the process will be like.
When I send an email, I'd like a reply -- even just a "ok" or "thanks"
Ahhh.

Anyway --- hello!

o

Thanks for the input. You make a valid point Amber, and I just checked with my builder. The window in that area is at 10 ft but we should have 4-5 foot from the peak to hang a chandelier! Michelle, it's good to know you have can lights that operate great in your vault area, as we would still likely have them as well
Hang in there housebuilder, it is a frustrating process. Sometimes in the past I would hesitate contacting the builder as much as I wanted as I didn't want to be a pest, but I encourage you to continue to reach out in a nice way until you get the answers you need

o

Here's a photo from the ground of the window in the vaulted area. It's not great but you can see there is 4-5 ft that would not interfere with the view

o

Argh. Excavators were supposed to "maybe" move their equipment on Friday. On Friday, no sign off them. No biggie, they had said "maybe". So I emailed them. They never got paperwork from the "call before you dig" people. My email prompted them to look into it. "Huh, it was supposed to have been Wed. Well, maybe next week." I called first thing this morning. Oops, this got missed. We'll do the work today, and send the paperwork tomorrow. This is supposed to take 2 days, you've had a week. I want the paperwork as soon as the work is done. Well, the best we can do is call you when the guy is onsite, and you can get it from him if you can get there before he leaves.

So, I'm sitting in my truck at the site, waiting for their call. I had a bunch of phone calls to make today, so I'm doing it from the truck. No chance of missing him. It's 1:30pm, and he's not here yet.

I'm particularly pissed off because I could have had this done weeks ago. But we were told it wasn't necessary because our permits already show where the gas and water line come in. Plus, it's only supposed to take 2 days, so it was no big rush.

I am feeling sorry for finish guys now. By the time we get to lock up, I'm going to be riding these guys like the bulls at Stampede. I've learned my lesson. Even the simplest jobs will need to be followed up on a week ahead of time to see if they're ready. I'm sure all home owners get like that. :)

o

We are finally starting this month but have been waiting and waiting for final permit approval. At least we have a very pretty hole in the ground and maybe we will have footers sometime soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lake living CLT building blog

o

Lakeliving, you are close to me. I am building in Lake Wylie, SC. Permits took forever for us too.

o

housebuilder- just hang in there. The whole process is fraught with cuss words:-)

Amberm- you really must come visit me. Do it in the deep winter months when everything has slowed down because of the weather. I spent most of today (after staying at a hotel last night) CLEANING! Again. Couldn't spend the night in the house because even though I have AC, nobody knows how to turn it on. For some reason, the guys who throw the polymeric sand on my courtyard patio, like to leave the doors open so all that $/^& gets into the house. So, I spent the day with a shark steamer, cleaning the tile in 90+ degree heat.

I am at my Mom's tonight, which is in striking distance of the new house. She has internet- hooray. No pics- ' cause i have a teaspoon of battery life left... but the pool is now filled and the dirt work is complete in the front yard. See you guys tomorrow.

o

amber, hope everyone showed up and it's smooth sailing from here

o

The guy showed up just before 6pm. I called the office at 3:30 thinking they'd all be heading home at 4, and my site wouldn't be getting done today. I was ready to threaten to go to Home Depot and rent a bobcat and just start digging indiscriminately. But the woman said they work until 6 or 7. So I stuck it out. I picked up dinner a few blocks away, so I'd be within 5 minutes of the lot if/when the guy called. (I didn't eat lunch, so by 5, I was a little light headed.)

The guy came, and it turns out he was in my neighbourhood this morning, but I wasn't on his list of jobs for today. It wasn't until I called the supervisor's office and said I wanted the paperwork right away that they actually assigned someone.

So, paperwork got scanned and emailed to the excavator. Email response: Machine is on the trailer. Will be on site at 7am.

Eep! There's a 7 AM now? I don't get up that early!! I'll have to tomorrow, I guess. BIL will be there. But I kinda feel like I should be, too.

Oh, but I forwarded the email to DH, and he just pointed out that it doesn't say 7am *tomorrow*. :P

o

amber-7 is not too terrible bad. You can do it, and I hope that you find all you are looking for - as in they show up - since you will actually be up and around at that time!

housebuilder-it would just be nice to know they even SAW your message wouldn't it? There should be a builders code of communication 101 class but so far it doesn't appear that there is!

music-soooooo, are you in? Did you finally rest your head where you have wore your body out, lol?

j-what's new???

Trusses are going up in the barn. But the biggest excitement for me is the decorator lady I am working with did some shopping for me yesterday and picked up a few things. It will look like a home eventually! Very excited to get at least a few things on the walls. She found some really cool artwork that we both like - that is MORE than half the battle around here. Nothing is hung of course but at least there are things IN the house. Baby steps folks, baby steps!

Happy Midweek!

o

Autumn- Any chance you have any pics of your exterior? I believe I seen a glimpse of your stone and siding colors that looked very similar to what we are planning. Would be some peace of mind to see a finished product.

o

Jet-I am sorry-I think you asked before. I have been waiting for a time when there aren't build materials and dumpsters in the frame. I will make work of that when I get home tonight. The stone is complete. The pillars are not, looks like we may need the porch re-poured so we are waiting on that. There are two cracks in the corner that are I concern...BUMMER! This is 'house build 2013-2015' for us I am afraid...

o

We're digging!

o

Autumn- No worries, and I apologize for being redundant if I already asked. Looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully those concrete boys make quick work of the porch repairs!

o

Music, I'm super jealy of your pool. We'd love to have one, but here in northern michigan the swim season is about two weeks long. :) Not worth the expense, I'm afraid.

As for us, we finally got our construction drawings after revisions back from the architect. No major elevation changes were made from the drawings on the first go round, but some small tweaks were made that made us happy enough to proceed. :)

I sent out the prints to four general contractors this morning. I gave them two weeks to get back to me with quotes.....do you think that is a reasonable time frame? I desperately want to get going already. Also, can we start pulling permits? Or does the GC have to do that??

Thanks all!! Have a great week!

o

Michelle, it depends on your city. We had to have 2 rounds of approvals. For the first round, we didn't have to have technical build details done, and they didn't care who would be doing the work. That was also the round that takes the longest. The second round, we had to specify all our trades. So we'd have wanted to have the GC selected at that point. It doesn't hurt to look into what information you're going to need to give them. We got blindsided by the warranty crap we were required to provide.

I have MORE good news. The distributor of the trim siding I've been trying to get samples of since last fall FINALLY got some in, and agreed to give me some. I feel like I should buy a lotto ticket.

o

Autumn, autumn- taunt me not with thine name, for I cannot lay my head down at the house until they cranketh up mine AC. I brought stuff up for a sleepover, but I draw the line at sleeping on the floor in a bag with no AC in 90 degree heat. At least I went over the bedroom floor with a steam cleaner... oh my goodness, that thing is phenomenal on that wood look tile.

So, what I accomplished on this trip- started to organize the Master closet and brought up clothes from storage. Met with the garage door guy to pick out the placements for our hardware. Played guitar for my friends;-) Ok, ok- that was not house related but it was fun. Reamed out Geraldo Rivera who still hasn't shown up to put up my safety rails, without which we cannot get our temporary CO. Hired a locksmith to get us to code on all the door locks... there is an issue here with double deadbolt locks... they are not allowed.

I will have to make the trip again tomorrow to be around while the tile guys install the marble backsplash. They have messed it up once already so I will have to be there to make sure they follow the pattern. Will take a picture of the progress when I get a chance.

I think the patio turned out great, although I am going to have to tweak the spiral columns a bit. That project is going to have to wait though. The pool is filled and shimmering in the Texas sun. Michelle, I hear you about cost effectiveness for a Michigan pool- always chuckle when I see all the firepits out for sale around here in August. They must sell them to somebody. Not me:-)

Until Geraldo drags himself out, the masons are blocking access to the pool with the big wooden pallets used to stack our stone, lest we be slapped with an attractive nuisance lawsuit. When I am there by myself working, I have to exit through the garage doors to secure the house. We are in good shape in case of a zombie apocalypse. The masons are working today on our lower terrace that walks out to the lake.

So, this made me smile today. The "classy plaque" custom sign came in while I was gone and I just really appreciate these folks artistry. We always said we would "name" the house, so we did.

o

amber: 7am? I wish I could sleep that late! Since starting the build, combined with all the other projects I've got going on, I've been waking at 3 or 4am. My brain just turns on at that time, thinking about whatever selections we're supposed to be on at that moment. I just go with it and start Googling.

jackson: Nice neighbor. Leave a refrigerator open out back and see if he'll walk into it. ;) I've got a family of turkeys in the woods at my new house. My kids tried to get close and they flew up into the trees. (The turkeys. Not my kids. But give 'em time) I know this makes me sound dumb, but I never realized turkeys can fly. (stupid city boy) Thought they were too big, like ostriches. Amazing to see a 15lb bird perched on a little branch. Now I just gotta seed my lawn with Stove-Top and find a bow.

Michelle: Congrats on finally finishing the design phase. Have you had face-to-face interviews with those GCs yet? Aside from the best price, you want to find someone you think you can work well with. The last thing you want is a GC that irks you. The quote of the builder we chose was actually mid-priced, not the lowest, because we felt we could work better with him.

I went up to our place this morning. New pix coming soon. Buzzing with activity.

We're homeless at the end of the month and have impressed upon the builder the importance of finishing on schedule. He's picked up 3 other jobs since starting ours, but has doubled-down his focus on getting us done on time.

10 cars/trucks on site at 7:45 when I arrived. I delivered cabinet hardware to the installer, who has returned from surgery after an incident with a nail gun. Tile setters are half way thru the MBa, their last room. Probably another day or two there. Painters were in working on the trim. Got the light order placed, finally. Had to FedEx overnight a sink (ka-ching) to our granite fabricators because it didn't get ordered ahead of time and isn't in any local warehouses. (ditto on the aforementioned cabinet hardware) Need to drive out to the fabricators (50 miles away) to go over where to lay the island template on the slab we picked. Stone mason due to start fireplace soon. Delivered a higher than expected quote on our first choice of stone, (would've been nice to know that 2 months ago when we picked it) so we had to redesign overnight (see, this 3am stuff really helps) to find a second choice stone with the right size, color, & texture. Got our first landscaping quote, ouch. Need to really focus on reigning that in.

Booked the movers to clear out of our rental at the end of the month. Didn't give them a destination. Might set up camp in the builders driveway. ;)

You know what they say, the last 10% of the work takes 90% of the effort. No wonder I don't sleep.

o

Amber -- YAY on digging! It will all go so fast now -- then will come to a screeching halt like what I've got going on now...

Musicgal -- I *love* your sign! It's super cute and is going to look great on your house. Where are you putting it?

Michelle -- I hope your bids all come in surprisingly under-budget!

Harring -- build is looking good!

Okay, so our framing crew is dragggggggggging their feet finishing up. I did a walkthru with my building consultant today and our punch list is like 25 items long. Most problematic is that the front porch roof decking was butted up against the house, not allowing the brick to continue all the way up the front of the house to the 2nd floor. It's about 55 feet across. Aaaand, we already have roof on it. :( So the roof will need to be repaired after the decking is cut back.

The other major problem is that the second floor over the garage is magically cantilevered out about 8" on three sides, and the siding was put allll the way down the cantilevered sides. It is supposed to be flat all the way up....

Here's a look:
 photo siding_zps091f6993.jpg

ugh. This is supposed to be brick all the way up to where the roof triangle is. So they will need to rip that all down. So there's the siding material that I've paid for that will be wasted. another :(

o

amber-now that was a sight worth an early wake up call yes?! Congrats! Bonus on the samples too. It is a good day!

musicgal-yep - it is my favorite season that's for sure! I forgot that a/c would be a necessity for you right now. :( Nobody likes to sleep in the thick sticky air. You can BET THE FARM that I will NEVER visit you in the summer. :D I am getting a hot flash just thinking about it, lol. I'd love to get away in the deep deep winter. Oh my would my boys (okay well really me) have such fun in your secret rooms. What a blast - have you shown your grandchildren? Your sign is perfect, how fun. I did get a painted "T" to put in my office. I love it. That is our sign I guess. I need to get some of my goodies hung and then I can take pics. At least you have the internet!

oicu-all that buzzy buzz about sounds fantastic! Yippee! Well I am an early riser myself so when I saw 7 I thought to myself, hmm by that time I have 2 hours under my belt, run-check, shower-check, drive to work-check. Yes it's 7 just now. :D 3 or 4 - NO. That makes for a crabby day. I love watching turkeys 'float' down from the trees. I've only caught them at it once up north but it was a really cool sight.

carson-oh no! Do they just get going and they can't help themselves? You don't have to pay for the loss do you?

jet-oh no - didn't mean it that way. I just still had it in the back of my head that I needed to post a pic and hadn't done it yet. I don't mind posting pics at all as I've found others so helpful myself. The joys of the forum. :)

True to form - I pull up and a truck is parked on the front lawn (another pic obstacle), argh! Too lazy to move it and it's definitely not killing the lush clay so here is one in full sun:
 photo photo243_zps34786929.jpg

Closer up:
 photo photo332_zps1003ccfd.jpg

Shade:
 photo photo24_zpse42b1e1b.jpg

The man cave - one side of the trusses is sheeted. That should finish up tomorrow and then dh is on his own for the rest. Yes - this home is a 2 year project.....
 photo photo140_zpse1333bae.jpg

I can't believe summer is winding down...

o

Carson- it's like you have to watch everything they do, because especially if it makes no sense, they will be sure at least, to try to do it! Your framing is going very quickly though. Really it is.
That sign is going up on the driveway post and my house numbers next to the entrance gate. We also have a set of rustic iron keys to hang up by the gate, which I will have to spray with a sealer so they don't drip rust on the buff stone. That would be TOO authentic.
The name is written in Catalan (or Italian depending upon the mood of Google's translator) and translates to "house of the perigee" since we followed the perigee moon out to the lakes these past two years. The plaque company did a custom full moon on the arch- that is why I love it so:)

Next big perigee is August 10th. Supermoon!

This post was edited by musicgal on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 21:04

o

Congrats Amberm on finally getting underway.

Musicgal - You HAVE to get the A/C going. If I could have it already, I would. The summer heat is brutal.

Autumn.4 - Love the pics. Your stone is gorgeous of course and great progress on the barn! You and DH have done a really good job.

Carsonheim - Even with the mistakes, your house looks awesome!

Well, back at it tomorrow. Staining, priming, painting. Got a doozy of a kidney stone (I get them every few months) so I hope that don't slow me down. Later then.

o

jdez - you 'hope' it doesn't slow you down? You are kidding right? OUCH! You are a MACHINE girl! Any headway on stain? No pressure or anything. ;) Thanks for your always sweet comments.

The 'office'. My "T" and the wall that it will eventually hang on. DS didn't get it, didn't like it and I couldn't figure out why until I realized he had no idea that the T is for our last name not just some random letter in the alphabet. Oy.

photo photo25_zpsf8141d09.jpg

I need to get a bulletin board and something magnetic to go on the back wall. I am totally out of sight out of mind so I need to get that going before school starts or we are in trouble!

Oh and I see the cardboard was in the frame. Excuse our 'dog door'. We block her in on the tile while we are dealing with a dirt yard. It's just too much with all that fur holding tons of sand. In fact, she is laying IN the sand right now. Dog!

o

They started the basement flooring today!! Sooo excited!

o

robyn: Nice floor. That'll be a beautiful basement. Is there any underlayment or subfloor, or is it directly on the concrete? Is that laminate? The piece being held in the background looks like a vinyl strip. Do you have to deal with temp extremes where you are? In my parts, basements are freezing in winter. I'd be concerned with anything directly on concrete.

o

Flooring, robyn, flooring?!?! I can't believe you're at that point now.

Carson, you're so right about things moving quickly until it stops. The cribbers said they might start on Saturday. But then we don't have a framer.

I *think* I have a framer lined up for mid October. Got a quote, and it's good enough to wait a few weeks. Plus, he's willing to give me a few days when the foundation is done to put the first floor joists on. Then I can get the basement plumbing done and backfill, and we can get the sewer connect done before winter.

I contacted the sewer people to schedule them. They had said in June that they had tentative bookings in Sep, so even though we're a few months out, I figured I'd get on the list. I'm already too late. They are now booking November, and that means a 50-50 chance that the ground will be frozen and we're paying an extra $4k. Damn. There's another guy who quoted $1k more, so I've emailed him to see what his schedule is like. I explained to DH, we can book the first guy, and hope it's a warm fall. Or, we can book the 2nd guy, and hope we're ready in time.

DH gets kidney stones, too. It's been a while since his last one, but either he gets used it, or they get smaller over time. The first time, he was at work and they called an ambulance. The last time, he was in bed for about an hour.

musicgal, I can't thank-you enough for the mention of the Therma Tru doors. They are currently my front runner, pending input from DH. I admit, I had moments of skepticism about taking advice on doors from a Texan, seeing as you don't have to worry about keeping cold out. But they actually seem to be well built. And the local vendor is a little place I'd never have stumbled upon on my own.

Oicu, I'm not a morning person. But I'm up well past midnight most days. Someday, I'll go back to work, and I'll be in trouble.

o

Carson, that stinks. I'd be mad too. Is correct on the plans they have? If so, can you hold them accountable for the screw ups?

OICU, for what it's worth, I'm not a city girl and didn't know until recently that turkeys could fly. ;) Who knew? They are such awkward birds!

Robyn, wow, I can't believe you're installing flooring already! Did you post about drywall already?

As for us, we made the decision to start moving forward. We've chosen a builder (he was on our short list), we know the guy, he's super easy to work with, will bend over backwards to get things done, and he's willing to do a co-build with us, AND take responsibility with bank draws. So I met with him this afternoon and he whipped out all the paperwork the bank needed (sworn statement, etc). Tomorrow, I'm dropping off the last of the paperwork to the bank, and then I'm going to head to the county to apply for the first permit. Yay! I feel like this might actually happen! :)

Oh, and another exciting thing....this builder said that he our house will take about six months to build! (Of course, I realize that might not happen, but heck, I'd be super happy with nine months!)

o

We had turkeys on the farm when I was a teenager. They don't fly very often. It takes a lot of effort to get off the ground.

Michelle, good luck with the county!

o

oicu8 - It's called LVT and is installed directly on top of concrete in the basement. It is an awesome material! They are installing it in most of the custom home basements here in Utah. Everyone is raving about it. It's a great alternate to tile. We will have carpet in the basement great room which will warm it up. The LVT is only in the hallway, on the stage and in the dance studio in the basement.

Michelle - I can't remember if I added any of the drywall pics!! Here you go….

o

P.S. I went to visit the house last night and my door was there!!!

o

Autumn, I love the stone and exterior color! Thanks for posting these!

Today they are backfilling sand into the garage and tomorrow they will be backfilling around the exterior of the basement.

Exciting milestone for us yesterday when I pulled up.. We had our first lumber delivery!

o

L - We are going with Cabot Aged Leather for the cabinets. It is a little bit lighter than what I envisioned but we both like it. Also, the countertop has been narrowed down to either Cambria Whitney or Silestone Stellar Snow. Very much over budget but it's just money right?

o

Amberm- so glad you found a vendor for ThermaTru up there. Yeah, they are sweet little doors. You can get them in any style and color, woodgrain or otherwise and they will stand up to the elements. Hope your husband likes them.

Jet- yay for the lumber. Just wanted to say that the way they piled it reminds me of an ancient longship. I see a prow and a cabin there:-)

Oh robyn- glorious door day!

See y'all later tonight. I am about to hit the road again to go up to the site. My butt and the car seat are one:(

o

Popping in real quick to say hi! We still have no internet so I don't spend much time in my phone checking in these days after our move.

Lots of great prices to see with everyone in this time I was'gone'. Robyn is really coming along far and o love the drama of your family room with the huge fireplace and windows. We also used some LVT in our guests bath because I didn't want to spend on heated time there and the lct kind just like time but it doesn't feel so cold as tile. We really like it.

Michelle I'll glad you figured out a way to move forward and save some cost with a co build situation. Best of luck!

Autumn- live your exterior and the huge barn! We are looking at adding a storage shed to help alleviate some of the garage bloat. Kinda wish we went with a 4 car garage BUT it wounding have looked as nice so if we put up a shed it will since all the problems. Nothing to the scale of yours though just small. The only issue is that we are trying to understand the HOA rules about accessory buildings potentially having to match exterior house materials. The only other neighbor has a huge 3.5 car accessory building ( in addition to his attached 3.5 car garage) that looks more like a mini house with hardi , stone, shingles, windows and shutters). So.

We are loving the function of our kitchen so far. Live having the sink in the island. No problems having both of us working in there. I did discover I like prepping cold meals on the expanse of the island that is the short side across from the fridge. I never counted on that space as being usable prep space so that's a bonus.

Hardscaping is almost done. 15 trees planted this week and irrigation starting early next week followed by grass seeding.

When we eventually get internet I'll post some pics with our stuff inside although I'm not big on home decorating- I find visual clutter to hurt my head. I how to find a few key pieces to accent the mantle, shelves, etc.

Ttfn,
Illini.

o

Hi everyone!

It is so exiting to see all the progress everyone has made, and to see some of you reach or nearly reach the finish line.

For those of you who don't know our story, we are very, very slowly building our home. It started with us GCing the build to roughly the shelled in and cladded stage. Now, DH is actually building the second half himself. Our teenage son has been helping a great deal this summer. I stopped posting on this monthly thread as it was too depressing to be reminded how slowly our house was being built compared to others on this post. We started over 2 and a half years ago!!! We have lived in the house the whole time as our project was a gut/addition project.

Anyway, I wanted to speak to Amberm about doors. Therma Tru is a very well regarded door here in Canada. We looked very closely at their doors. In the end we went with another brand sold by Doorway inc in Burlington ON (I think the line was Mastergrain or something like that). The key was the door itself was fiberglass stained to look like mahogany, but the trim was real mahogany which made the whole door look so much more like wood without the downside of using wood in a cold climate (our door is a bit recessed, sheltered and north side). I am not sure that option would exist with Therma Tru though, but it might be worth asking.

Happy building everyone!

Carol

P.S. Robyn, is that basement flooring a wood like vinyl product. We have also selected a high end vinyl that looks wood for our basement. Luckily, we have in floor heat under the basement slab so cold floors were not an issue.

o

Amberm, we went with a ThermaTru Classic-Craft American Style Fiberglass Door with prefinished mahogany stain inside and out. We went with the bronze sill as bronze was our trim color on the exterior.

Here is a pic of the door from the exterior taken before we moved in:

photo A461679E-55DE-4803-AED1-CE09EA8CA139_zpsckvk9wyb.jpg

Here is a pic of the interior view with mahogany colored interior trim boards:

photo IMG_5018_zps70a0ad2b.jpg

We are very pleased with the sturdiness of the ThermaTru door. We had looked at other fiberglass doors prior to settling on this one and they were very lightweight.

We also used LVT in our laundry room. LOVE it! It is so easy on the knees to walk on compared to our hardwood floors. We used DuraCeramic Dimensions. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

photo B1EE9BF1-A6A5-46CB-80DE-534008A250C7_zpsh5vzrtrm.jpg

I need to take some pictures of what our house looks like since we moved in almost three weeks ago. Finally got counter size island stools yesterday and picked up an upholstered stool for the entry way and a mirror we want to use above a cabinet in the dining area. No pictures on the walls yet, but we have almost everything in place. We are starting to ease into everyday life as retirees in our new home. We love it!

Landscaping is the last big thing. Just had the third company come to take pictures and come up with a design plan for us. I'll be glad to get rid of this:

photo AD263F10-3C3C-44AF-954E-1AE00A3605EC_zpsuzjko42g.jpg

photo FD75CB33-70EC-4E7A-B8BA-6CCEE3F5D6DC_zpslyvcy3gc.jpg

And all these piles of fill dirt and top soil

photo 9FB95793-E6EE-4D79-B07F-A66F5710B58C_zps61rbvbte.jpg

o

Thanks, OntarioMom. I actually did ask about the window trim. They all have the same trim we currently have on our 1990s Home Depot doors which kind of detracts from the modern style door. And no, there's no option. The other negative that I thought DH would balk at is the fact they don't come with multi-point locking systems. Meaning, the edge is surrounded by metal, and when you lock the door, the deadbolts come out from several spots around the door. It provides a REALLY tight seal, as opposed to the traditional ones that are held in place only at the handle. Therma Tru doesn't offer that. But, the one door I've found that DOES offer that, is 4 times the price. So DH's response was that the price difference would NEVER be made up in energy savings, so he doesn't care.

I still have one other option to try, modern styling, fibreglass doors with multi point locking, but their local sales people are turnips. They're trying to arrange a visit, via text, so they can measure my doorway. No, there's no door, I just need prices. We can't give you prices without seeing the door. I told them twice that it's a new build. I probably should have just given them the address so they could figure out "new build". But they'd probably just text me and say I gave them the wrong address. :P

o

Hoosierbred, I'm referring to the trim around the inset window. The only option is a traditional style, rounded edge profile, which is hard to see on your door, but it probably works really well with your more traditional style door. But given that everything else in our house is very flat edged, even the front door, the edge trim on the window is a little off. But, I may live with it for the price, and not having to deal with morons.

o

Thar' she blows...

o

Uuuuu awwwwww, Musicgal! What a nice pool.

o

Thanks Hoosier, and I really love your front door. It is one of my favorite styles on the ThermaTru website.

Amberm- not too early to start thinking about every little thing. The devil is in the details.

Carson, I think your rental is soon to lose all those stacks of building materials you have stockpiled:) I predict insulation going in by the end of September if there are no stalls.

Took a bunch of pics today- so as you all know, I have to post them separately with this device. Here goes. This is looking up at the courtyard from the yard. The pool equipment will be camoflagued with landscaping.

o

From the loggia area-

o

Backsplash in progress-

o

Master bath wall tile-

o

Grading and a grass border-

o

Pebble tile in Master shower-

o

Looking into the ensuite from the Master bedroom. Just an edit to note, the paint color is exactly the same in both rooms. Light levels make a huge difference in this color!

This post was edited by musicgal on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 20:24

o

musictoes-

o

library wall-

This post was edited by musicgal on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 20:27

o

musicgal: Your bath tile looks real similar to ours. Is that a 12x24 calacatta?

o

Finally remembered to bring the camera with me tonight. We've got 2 or 3 trades coming and going each day it seems. Finish work is coming along in leaps and bounds. Hopefully we keep the momentum.

Michelle1973: I'll let you know very soon if a house can be built in six months. We started 5 months and 1 week ago. Hoping to finish before Labor Day.

back hall mudroom tile finally finished:

powder room:

Kitchen cabs:

Here is a link that might be useful: All kids love Blog!

This post was edited by oicu812 on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 20:54

o

Porcelain calacatta- yes, 12 x 24. Cost less than my real honed marble backsplash:)

o

Hey, hey....guess what I just ordered.....hehe. Autumn and Illini talked me into it with all of their "It's so quiet when running water" discussion...lol. I am so excited.

o

Funny, I was looking at a Blanco catalogue today. Only considering a faucet, though. I LOOOVVE my Kraus sink. $450 from Amazon.

o

Gorgeous sink! Is it Blanco? Well, staying up too late and should be working on stain colors for our Timber Frame entry and our electrical plan, which I hate doing. So, thought I would let you guys know about my unintentional detour in case anyone else is looking for a distraction. Waiting for a friend at a local eatery and I wandered into a new store, for me, Arhaus. While there, I found the perfect mirror for my entry and then because it is the biggest sale of the year, not sure if its true, but i'm a sucker, and further lured by tax free weekend coming up in Texas and they are matching the tax free savings, I bought a dining room table, bench and chairs as well as 4 light fixtures! Whew!! I hate think what would happen if I shopped intentionally :)

o

harringk- Post Oak Arhaus? Nice stuff! Oh, the temptation.

o

Beautiful Jdez!! I had was originally going to get the Siligranit sinks, too, but fell in love with the Elkay SS sink my rep showed me. You are going to love yours!!

LOTS going on today and next week at my build site. I'll run over and take some good pics to post. A lot of the stone is done and the stucco prep was all completed last night. Finished carpenter dropped off all of the lumber in my garage so he can start on Monday. I have been super pleased with how punctual MOST of the reps have been so far. Only one delay that I can think of but it didn't slow the main house down. Only frustrated me. haha! I need to have my paint colors picked out by next week because they are starting to paint the basement a week from Monday!! YIKES!!!! Is this really happening??!!

o

robyn- loved that stage when the smell of the fresh cut trim and cabinets wafted in the air.

All of those decisions catch up unexpectedly. You think you have plenty of time, and then bam, it is right on top of you. Good luck with the paint.

o

Such a pretty hole. Who knew a hole could get one so excited. I am going out with girlfriends tonight, and I suspect I'll be showing these photos to them the way people show pictures of their kids.

And now we come to a screeching halt. The foundation guys feel the slope of the wall on the left is too steep, so they want it sprayed with concrete before they'll get in there with forms. I've got that scheduled for Aug 21. They may fit us in sooner if another job ends sooner, and I've also got another company coming to take a look today or Monday. But probably 2 weeks before anything else happens.

On one hand, delays suck. On the other, I am so much happier that I have things scheduled. No more, "well, maybe this will happen next week..." Things are moving. I can get a plumber lined up to get the basement rough ins done in early Sep. I need to get the windows ordered, but now that we won't need them until late Nov, I'm not feeling so panicked about that. Ah. Good night to go out for drinks with the girls!

o

wow, Amber! that's a mighty nice hole. Very neat and level looking!

o

Yaaaaaaaaaayyyy Amber!! I remember that excitement when we dug our hole, too! You have waited so long for this moment. Enjoy it!!

Went over today to meet with the finished carpenter. He starts in the basement on Monday!! YAY!!!! While I was there I looked out on the back patio and saw they were putting in the soffits today! I wasn't expecting that. Love this stage of the build!!! Countdown is ticking!!!

This post was edited by robynstamps on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 2:00

o

Robyn - I love your soffits. It sounds like you are closing in on the finish line. It is at least within sight.

Amberm - Yay! I'm so excited for you. Sorry to hear that you will delayed but at least you have a little more breathing room with the windows.

Harrington - Yes, it is Blanco. Good job on the furniture! We will be needing a couch and dining room table. I haven't even thought about them yet, much less actually find something. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Oic - Your build is flying now! The tub is beautiful.

Musicgal - Love the view from the pool! I saw your music toes pic after working in the heat all day yesterday and wondered how you get anything accomplished at your house when you are there besides cooling off in the pool.

Hoosier - I love what you've done outside your house. It is going to be really impressive when you have green grass around everything.

OntarioMom - Good to hear from you. Hope all is good with you.

Illini - Good to hear from you too! It sounds like you are loving your house. Happy to hear it. I can't wait to see the pics.

Jet - Congratulations! You'll be amazed when you see your house next week.

We are having ourselves a very busy weekend. We bought stair treads last night so now I have more staining to do. We decided to go ahead and work on the upstairs bonus room too. We might not get it completely finished by the time we move in but it will hopefully just need paint and trim at that point. Yesterday, we blew insulation in to the attic spaces, put up some of the screen on the back porch and I stained more trim. Have to go sweat it out again today but I love to see all this getting done. Have a good Saturday!

o

JDez, I thought about you a few days ago when I was antique shopping. Did you guys come through Texas as you thought you might?

Yes, those are happy toes caught in a moment of pure bliss. The work pretty much stopped at that point:-)

Amberm- O lovely foundation hole... the poets extoll thy virtues. Very happy for you. That has to be a major relief.

o

Latest drama: window trim. Framers did not trim per plan. If anyone's interested I have a new thread called "unhappy with window trim" if you want to chime in :)

o

carsonheim,

What about using a different colour for the trim so it sets off the windows a bit. Our siding is a grey/taupe colour, and the window trim is grey (the windows are white). I like the contrast between window trim and siding colour. How many windows have they trimmed out so far for you?

Also, Carson, did you ever settle on whether to use a simple lighting scene control in your house or not? I recall you were trying to find a reasonably priced system.

Carol

o

HI folks! Such great progress is being made. I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but y'all have been so helpful and such a source of inspiration that I want to give you an update. We're under roof (except for where we'll have metal roof) and the electrical is furiously being placed. It's so exciting and still overwhelming. We did a really thorough walk through today checking outlet and lighting placement, and have walked away with more questions. LOL!

Thank you all for sharing all you share...it makes such a difference!i

o

tamara-very nice and I am so envious of your GRASS!

illini-I can't wait to see pics. I hope soon - but I sooo understand. ;)

jdez-love the sink. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. It really IS quiet.

amber-what a beautiful hole you have dug there. Did you hug it or make dirt angels???

music-oh your pool looks fantastic! And they view beyond it - wow - I don't think I ever realized that! Loved your music toes pic.

robyn-what is your timeline? Do they have a date set for you yet?

One side of the barn is just about shingled. Oh my word my 9 year old is like a monkey - always has been but climbs up on the roof like it ain't no big thing. Scares the pants off of me. I can barely stand it. I came inside, I can't watch. I can't wait until it's finished and all my peoples are on the GROUND.

o

Love looking at all the photos of everyone's build.. Just great. Framer should be done this week on our house...

o

Ontario- nothing has been painted yet. That yellowish color is the preprimed hardi plank. Once they ate properly trimmed we will paint a nice creamy white.

I decided not to do any sort of lighting automation. I'll install a few motion sensors in closets and such, but I couldn't really get my head around the whole automation thing. Old dog, new tricks blah blah blah :)

o

Hi Autumn- Big wave to you. You must be happily settled in. We continue to move stuff up there in bits and pieces. Christmas tree and more clothes went up with us yesterday.

My son loved to climb too. Both of my kids were/are fearless- which produced a few gray hairs on my head.

gogiants- your house looks enormous! I love the way the foundation utilizes the slope.

TamaraTom- Nice balance in your front elevation gables- that is hard to get right sometimes, and yours look very pretty, as does the lushness of your site.

Hey Carson- One of my favorite sayings through this whole process was, "This too shall pass". Also, "How do you eat an elephant???? One bite at a time". The mental and physical work to get it right is hard, especially if you are on a steep learning curve GCing such a large project. One thing is for sure about the windows- no matter how they turn out stylistically, make sure
your flashing is Mike Holmes perfect:-)

o

Autumn- thanks! The weeds that are growing make it look like the grass is fuller than it is. :)
Musicgal- thanks so much. We love the elevation and are excited to see the details take shape after so much planning. And that's quite a compliment coming from someone who has such a beautiful home!
Giantsfan- Wow! What an impressive home! It is so exciting to see the framing, isn't it?

o

We start Sheetrock tomorrow! I am over the moon to finally get interior walls.

o

giants -- wow, your house looks b-i-g! And nicely situated on that slope. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

musicgal - Yes, the flashing needs to be done right to keep the house from rotting away. I've had two master builders look it over and it seems to be correct. It's just the trim that looks silly. I *think* the guys were still not finished with the trim work -- some had two layers of 1x4, others had only one layer of 1x4. Anyhow, that's all getting replaced by 1x6 and crossheads so my windows look perty like this

photo windowtrims_zps8585d519.jpg

fancy pants -- good luck with the sheetrock! I can't wait.

This week I ordered some wallpaper since Lowes and Home Depot both had 20% off. I've had my eye on this particular one for a year, so I went ahead and ordered it from Lowes

This is for the mudroom

photo mudroomwallpaper_zpse98af226.jpg

This is for the laundry room

photo laundrypaper_zps103a715f.jpg

And this is for the master bath. The color here doesn't show like it really is. The blue is actually almost aqua, and is metallic! This photo just shows a flat blue.

photo masterbathwallpaper_zps20765cb1.jpg

The greatest part about Lowes and HD with respect to wallpaper is that any rolls that are unopened I can return for a refund. Most other wallpaper places you can't return. So I just ordered two more rolls than I thought I would need for each one, and I'll return any excess.

Oh, I also decided on media room carpet and wall color. The carpet has a pattern that looks kinda like waves. I like it!

Lowes has a special on whole house carpet installation right now that it is $37 for the whole house, plus you also get an upgraded pad. I was already planning on getting the top of the line pad, so I can pay for the next lower level of pad and get the one I really want. Sweeeeeeeet!

photo EA4BA4E8-87C0-4819-9061-71DBF7BE8A40_zpsljtarafw.jpg

o

Amber- congrats on your hole!!! Here's hoping our builds are smooth sailing from here on out.
Tamara- gorgeous home and your lot looks really lovely as well!
GoGiants- your home looks incredible! Can't wait to see it take shape!

o

carson-purchase my ofc chair at pier 1 - I think it would match your master wall paper. :D I think I am fulfilling my desire for some sort of aqua after my aqua paint disaster. This is working much better for me, lol!

photo photo244_zps72ddcb16.jpg

music-hello - waving right back! ahhh, settled? No not really, the place is ummm, quite unkempt at the moment - to the point of embarrassment if someone were to stop by. The interior decorator brought some wall art and a few other things over for us to look at and currently they are leaned up against the walls.... The good thing is we are getting there but oy. I have chosen to take a step back for my sanity, it will get done when it's done. Dh started the barn because of pending weather, need for cement and needing to eventually park in our garage (which right now is full of tools, mower, snow blower, etc etc. PLUS, he is an officer and they just decided to give everyone take home cars and we don't want that parked in the driveway like it is now. His brother was available to help so away they went with framing. Now he has to keep going to get it shingled before rain and so it goes. We still have many projects but as you said and we also did and still do "this too shall pass". At least I am resting my head in a peaceful space with my fam and cooking when I can on my gas stove. Woot woot! I couldn't even bring myself to take a pic of him up on the roof. I just couldn't let myself get close enough to really see my baby up there.

We did however decide to take a moment and go to the beach - who cares that it was about 7:30 at night we still were able to catch a sunset - some family time (desperately needed) and my crazy boys got IN the water - BRRRR! I think it's in the 60's. Lake Michigan:
 photo photo141_zps7078fbff.jpg

tamara-that's okay - at least its GREEN for now. And then you can choke those weeds right out!

fancypants-love the name. You are quite far along there! :D

j-did I ever mention that when the sink dries there is not a single water spot??? ;)

o

Hey Autumn, it was a beach day for us too! Here's my youngest baby. :)

o

cute chair autumn! :)

o

michelle-what a cutie! it was a fantastic weather weekend wasn't it? My pic was actually from Tuesday night last week but it was a great week. :D Summers in MI are the best.

o

Guys. I am still alive! I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted. Sorry I've missed so much! I spent a good 20 minutes scrolling through everyone's posts and photos... I love seeing everyone's' homes progress!!

My life got super crazy super fast, but it's settling down now. Had some family stuff, some work stuff, some house stuff... our landlords have listed the property we're currently living in. Not so much fun having to keep a tiny house you've outgrown show-ready, especially while you're trying to pack/move... and especially when it isn't even your house. Grrr!! But we're trying to help them out the best we can. We've even put some of our things into storage to try to make the house seem less stuffed.

We have had a TON of progress on the build :) We're within our 60 days and we have most of the exterior finishes complete and we're done to drywall on the inside. Have had a few snags (for one, the company delivered the wrong color siding and shutters, which luckily we caught BEFORE they put it up... then they got the siding right but the shutter colors wrong- midnight green is NOT the midnight blue we wanted so we're waiting for them to switch those out) but for the most part things are going smoothly. I'll post a few photos but they'll probably have to be in separate posts.

TL;DR: Got crazy busy, missed you all very much. Here are some pictures in apology:

o

This is my view from the kitchen sink.

o

Open floorplan... we could not believe how much natural light we'll have.

o

Stone's on the front.

o

First time trying this...hopefully the pic uploads correctly. Our GC said they should start framing this week.

o

Autumn and Michelle, you've had me singing Kid Rock's All Summer Long song all morning. "Summertime in Northern Michigan".

I called about getting temporary electricity to the site, and I don't think they understood my question. They told me I need a building permit, and an electrician. At first I thought, well, duh, of course I need a building permit to BUILD A HOUSE. But I don't think they actually want me to hire an electrician to connect to the power lines in the alley. So I gotta call back and explain better. "Temporary electricity for a construction site" obviously doesn't mean "empty lot, nothing but a pole with no wires to it."

o

More of a lurker/occasional poster too, but had to post our major milestone.

We failed our final inspection, which we knew was going to happen, but it is the only way to get the County to approve occupancy. They don't have a C of O Inspection, just Final. We had a list of 7 corrections, of which 5 were completed within 24 hours. Completing those 5 and getting them signed off was enough for the county to allow us to move in. The remaining two items (critical areas final inspection and porch ceiling) we'll focus on completing after we rent out our current home and move into the new one. Huge relief. Plan is to move in end of next week as we're focused on minor drywall repair and paint touch up this week. Then a major clean before we move in! Yahoo!

We have a 4X5 buck, his wife (pictured) and two babies as neighbors.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Laundry Room
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Rock AND roll NW Hobart! Way to get it done!

I love how close the doe ventured to the photographer:-)

o

LBC-glad you had a chance to stop back, wondered what you have been up to!

hobart-very cool neighbors and hooray for occupancy - even if it's somewhat partial.

amberm-yes I smile when I hear that song although not so much that you need all the 'funny' things in the song to enjoy summertime in MI. LOL!

o

ugh. 8 exterior doors delivered today. I rejected 7 of them. They had all sorts of gouges, cracked wood, broken frames, etc. I bought these from the building supply company I've been dealing with for lumber, siding and everything else. These doors were at least double the price as other places. Really disappointed. Am I being too picky?

My phone ran out of power so I only could get photos from two of the doors that were rejected. The rest had similar issues:

This is the top of one door:

photo FD0A9A68-A8D3-45C0-9AF5-457EBA26C22F_zpsxoddzz9j.jpg

This door had about 8 different places the wood was gouged. Here you see a big missing piece by the hinge, as well as a bit of gouge on upper left:

photo F62344E8-F106-4893-8F2F-201E9165A38D_zpsmajdvq9d.jpg

same door, bottom of door frame on right
 photo 2F18A232-2C6E-4EDB-8DD9-DC652D905F38_zps8difbttz.jpg

This frame is cracked

photo E1D56968-E20D-4A17-9096-D0F2B3DC179A_zpsuoaovu2o.jpg

And this is kinda hard to see in the photo, but the wide part of the frame on the right side has a bunch of cracks:

photo 1DBBDD03-F98B-4A7B-AE9D-38117A69699C_zps9uqrxyzr.jpg

And then there's this:

left:
 photo 341DADBF-6DB4-4CAA-9790-DB1C2209ABDD_zpscbxmj0xf.jpg

right:
 photo ECA5F375-CCFA-4CB4-B798-0A9AABFF8D57_zpsiwb70w0b.jpg

And this is a NAIL sticking through the door frame, where the door is supposed to close.

photo A19275A3-187A-48FF-8FEE-68296199C455_zpss95cbai1.jpg

These photos are only from TWO doors. The others I sent back had similar problems.

WTF???????????????

o

Carson, I've seen USED doors in better shape. And if you paid a premium, I'd be extra PO'd.

o

Carson- Wow.
I don't see much on here that leaves me speechless- but that does.

I will give you the number of my supplier if you need it privately. I am aghast they even delivered this #%/^ to you. So sincerely sorry.

o

I know, right? Oh, and another drama from today.... one of the plumbing subs brought his three children to the work site today. ages appx 6, 10, 12-ish. They running around, sitting on the stairs blocking the access upstairs for framers carrying heavy loads of wood. Saw the 6 year old hammering into the side of my stairs a nail he found on the ground... Then another one was sitting on a piece of HVAC tubing and crushed it.

Oh h3ll no! I called the plumber and told them to contact whoever was the father of the children and have them removed from the premises. Told them I was very concerned about liability and safety of both the children and the subs working on site. The receptionist at the plumber said she'd contact the boss and have the boss call me back and take care of it. I never heard. I called three times, and my calls went to voicemail.

I am of the mind that it is the company's job to tell their employees what to do, not mine. So I waited. After an hour, I could wait no more. I found out who the father was (there were 3 or 4 guys there working on plumbing) and told him to get the children out of the house; that they are a hazard and their safety is at risk as well as every else's.

I'm learning to be a b!tch. It's not normally part of my disposition, but today I got a good lesson in not getting walked on and standing my ground. So THERE!!!! :)

o

carson-you have GOT to be kidding. That is so obnoxious I am stunned...almost speechless. They can't be seriously thinking those doors are gonna pass anything? What like a coat of good paint is going to cover that up. No way. And the kids...oh man. No way, not during construction and not in someone ELSE's house. Ridiculous!

o

Carson - Sorry you are having to go thru that.

Amberm - I am so very excited for you.

LadyB - So good to see you again. Your house has really changed since the last time we saw it.

NWH - Very pretty scene from that back porch. Nice laundry room too. Congrats.

Dreamer - Woohoo!

Michelle - That looks like one happy little girl. Looks like a fun day.

Autumn - Ok, now that is rubbing it in...lol. It is jungle hot here and you're talking about beautiful sunsets at the beach with perfecto weather? I would lock myself in the fridge if I could fit. Your chair looks perfect BTW.

Fancypants - You are well on your way to having a house. Hope the Sheetrock goes fast for you.

Tamara - I love the design of your exterior. Very nice.

Here is my cabinet color and countertop sample together. I just ordered the countertop this afternoon. A budget buster. Oh well, ya can't take it with ya...

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And if you find any dirt on my floor in the pic, I have been giving birth to a porcupine and haven't had time to clean.

o

JDez -- LOVE that counter! You're right. Can't take it with you. My goal is to die poor -- spend it all right up till the end. With this house, I'm well on my way! ;-P

o

Carson - Lol. I really hope they'll make it right with the doors.

o

j-do I see some shimmer in that counter? Love it! My floors are dirty and I have no porcupine in sight. Have you named it? ;) I would be a sweaty mess if I lived down there. For real. I can't imagine the hot flashes I'd be having. Ick!

o

Autumn, geography has no bearing on my hot flashes!

o

Carson - You are cracking me up!

L - Yes, there is a bit of bling there...lol. Not my usual style for sure. EDIT: And yes, I had many names for it that I can not repeat on here...lol.

This post was edited by JDez on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 20:35

o

@Carson, Wow the plumber sub brought kids to the work site!!! How insane. You did the right thing to ask them to leave! I would have sent them packing immediately (they would have been treated to my stern teacher face for sure).

JDez: Is your counter Cambria Whitney? We are considering that for one bath -- it is gorgeous. Is your picture showing both the floor tile and the cupboards?

Autumn: So glad to see you are done and safely in your beautiful home. Hopefully your son will stay off the barn roof LOL!

@NWhobart, Lady browncoat, illinigirl, musicgal, oicu812, robyn, hoosierbred , Autumn and jackson: Your pictures of done or nearly done homes are all inspiring. The rest of us will get there someday.

From our end, my DH and teenage son have nearly finished off the last of the rough in plumbing. It was a steep learning curve for sure. We are also working on venting the bathroom fans. Lots of crawling on the attic to install galvanized steel pipes. And the best, is our kitchen, laundry and vanity cabinets will be ready for pick up at the end of August. They will then all need to be assembled as they are RTA from Scherr's. Unfortunately, they will probably sit in the garage for a while until ready.

Back to working on our lighting plan. I am determined to not just use pot lights, but it is hard with 8 foot ceilings.

Carol

o

Ontario - Yes, it is Cambria Whitney. That board is my cabinet color. The floor in the pic is in my current house. We are using vinyl planks and carpet in the new house. Don't worry about a slow build. It gives you a lot of time to make choices.

Music - I forgot to answer a question you posted earlier. Yes, we went to the Lonestar state last week. We had a great time. In my search for a screen door, I have discovered that 26" screen doors do not exist unless you get it custom made to the tune of $420. So, I picked up a salvaged solid wood two panel door at Antique Queens in Rockdale. Very nice and helpful ladies. Anyway, we are going to try to make a screen door out of it. One of our carpenters said that if it didn't work out, he would make a door for us. So, even if we make a mess of it, we should still be able to put a screen door on the pantry.

o

JDez - Great combo!! We are using the same countertop in my 14 year old's bathroom. It's a remnant so got a steal of a deal. The real budget buster is in our kitchen! WoWza!

Carson- You have got to be kidding!! That is absolutely absurd! I would have done exactly what you did with the kids. Who brings their little kids to work in the construction business?? That is just crazy!! So sorry about your doors. That really blows my mind!

Ladybrowncoat - I am so excited for your progress! You are only about a week behind me but might pass me up pretty quick. Our stone is taking FOREVER!!! They are supposed to be done with all exterior by this weekend. Hope that's what happens!!

Just wanted to share that they started the wood floors today! They just prepared the floor and layer out the flooring. Tomorrow they actually start laying it. It looks so much darker than I had planned but I think it will look great with our white & gray kitchen. There is a gray undertone to the wood. It even goes well with the front door. Just about a shade darker.

o

2nd view…

o

We have soffits!!! I love them!!

o

carson-I can't imagine if I am flashing in MI in 70 degrees what lake I could fill if I was down south. Just sayin - it wouldn't be pretty!

jdez-I cannot wait to see your screen door. I think that is such a great idea. I have to leave mine cracked right now due to the weather or else it's just stuffy in there.

robyn-how they are really moving. Have they given you a tentative move in date? I am sorry if you have already said I am losing track!

ontario carol-hello! Thanks for you your kind words. Would you believe we have yet to have the electrician back for our floor outlets...it's on the list but I guess we aren't really in a hurry for that. Plus I really would like a new couch - one a bit smaller. Fat chance - they were both up there last night. Oy. Dh should finish up today if the rain stays away!

This morning has already been filled with a 3 mile jog and a dog that was freshly bathed and trimmed last Friday getting sprayed in the face by a skunk. Sigh. It's garage living for her for now.

o

Robyn - Those floors are going to be beautiful. I've never seen someone so excited about soffits...lol.

Autumn - That poor little pup. Bet your garage will be smelling lovely.

DS starts 2nd grade today. I will leave work early to pick him up and then maybe I can go get some work done. Good day all!

o

JDez- What fun to go antiquing in that part of the state! Treasures galore:-)
I think that is where decorating and building combine... when you find something you like and incorporate it into a new house. Adds so much whimsy and character.

Your Cambria reminds me of the Ice Chip I used in some parts of the house. That stuff is bulletproof! Great look.

o

I'm in the market for a salvaged door between my kitchen and mudroom. A little bit of extra character. Nothing's grabbed me yet.

o

Still pluggin' away here. Not much new to take pics of, but here's a few things. I've mostly been working on siding.

Here's a pic of the back of the house, with the siding almost done. I built the deck to facilitate doing the siding, since the back of the house is so high.

photo 013-3.jpg

The front porch ceiling. Turns out bead board is a LOT of work; overhead, no less. I used a very light stain, and it still needs a finish on it. If you look closely, you'll see two black brackets for hanging the future porch swing on.

photo 516.jpg

Here's a shot of the garage roof, showing my faux rafter tails. The type of roof construction didn't allow for real exposed rafter tails, so I added fake ones made out of pressure treated lumber for longer life. They'll be painted to match the trim when they dry out. The green lamp was fished out of the trash. It came out of an old ship yard in NYC. I made the gooseneck and rewired it. It's really too big, but hey, you can't beat the price!

photo 011-4.jpg

We've had a lot of rain, so I've been hanging ceiling fans. The first one is from Modern Fan Company. The ceiling will be tin- this is in the kitchen. The second one is a Hunter we bought about 30 years ago, and kept when we moved. It is in the dining room. Lastly is our flagship, a 1906 Westinghouse. Yes, it is over 100 years old! It does run, but I'm going to have it rebuilt for safety's sake. The light fixture was a recent add-on, as it never had one. We use our fans a lot, so we figured we might as well have some nice ones.

photo 002-10.jpg

photo 007-3.jpg

photo 005-9.jpg

o

Mush, those are great fans. And that front porch looks like a great place for a porch swing. Are those French doors on your deck from a living space or a bedroom area? Your garage door looks pretty good for a CL bargain BTW.

o

So much is going on at my house I have a headache! Feeling very overwhelmed right now. The wood floors are layed in the kitchen, basement trim is halfway done, still working on stone, stucco starts Thur and I still can't decide on a color, tile was prepped today for laying tomorrow!!

YIKES!!!

o

Nice floors Robyn! It must have been a zoo at your home with all those subs at once. Progress for sure!

Beautiful work, Mushcreek (kudos to your DIY) work. The siding is beautiful.

Carol

o

Hi all. Haven't had a chance to catch up on everyone's progress, so much to see! We just arrived in town and were able to see the progress in person for the first time in 2 months. Our builder was great at sending pictures but there is nothing like standing on site to really appreciate what it looks like. We move into our temporary rental this weekend so I will be able to see all the progress first hand from now on. This couldn't come at a better time as they are waiting on my choice of roof and siding colors.

o

Dang. I hate it when people take pictures of me at harvest. My crop is only yielding ones nowadays.

o

JDez -- you got the wrong seedlings. Mine has a nice crop of Benjamins!

craftygranny -- YAY! It's true, seeing it in real life is my better than photos. Good luck with your rental.

mush -- absolutely ADORE that 1906 fan! Great find!

o

Oh Carson, we need to swap seedlings through the GW swap. It is taking a lot of ones to pay for my countertop.

o

No matter what I plant, I just get 'pennywort' LOL!

musicgal- The french doors come from the dining room. Looking at the back of the house, the kitchen is on the left, dining room center, and living room on the right. We have a nice view of the Blue Ridge mountains in the winter, so all of those rooms face that way. That big triple window is over the kitchen sink, one of my wife's few requests.

o

mush-you have really come a long way since your last pics. Awesome work! :D Love your fans and your porch. Do you stay nice and cool in the woods there? I have found that we do.

robyn-so soffits and flooring and where's STELLA???? ;)

j-dang I think my tree was excavated and chopped up with a chipper. :(

Sooooooooo...trying to give DH a break because at this stage he is doing about everything and I stink at working power tools. I am so ticked at how dependent I am on him for these sorts of things. GRRRR! I was using a miter box saw to make a couple more pantry shelves and darn it I wrecked it. In my defense I am left handed and it's obviously right handed. I was a good girl, tape measure, safety glasses and whoops there it went. It was pretty close but a little long so I went to trim a teeny tiny bit off and now it's WAYYYY short. ARGH!!! Stamping my feet angry. Oh well.

Neighbor brought over a CASE of raisins. Are you serious? What do I do with all these raisins?? I haven't bought raisins in about 7 years........now it looks like I have a lifetime supply, lol!

The fully shingled (boys off the roof finally) barn - AKA 30x40 mancave:
 photo photo142_zpsa0593136.jpg

photo photo245_zps257ce434.jpg

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 20:48

o

Hey Autumn- I think you are talking to robyn about soffits and floors- and I have no idea who STELLA is.

BUT- I do have a dedicated piano mover hired now. A regular mover who will collect our big stuff next Tuesday. And an appointment with the elusive Geraldo Rivera tomorrow to see the gate go up. It had better be a flippin work of art, he's put us off so long.

So you know you are really moving... when you take the music out of the bench.

o

Very nice L.

Music - Hope Geraldo shows up and makes up for all the waiting. I still haven't listed our house but I am about halfway packed.

Mush - Your house is beautiful.

Crafty - Wow. Looks great.

Robyn - Love your floors.

o

music-oh yes, I thought I typed Robyn....but no I typed music! Sorry, I do *know* you apart. ;)

jdez-do you have a date in mind for being in?

o

Autumn4 - Was really hoping for Labor Day but we aren't going to make that date. So, I guess now I'm hoping for end of Sept.

o

Damn, I'm jealous of all of you living far enough south to be able to grow money trees. :P

Autumn, I can't keep raisins in the house. I use them in oatmeal cookies and muffins, as well as a dish we discovered in South Africa, bobotie. Mmmmm. But DH loves them as a snack. He gets peckish, heads to the pantry, and eats my raisins. I buy raisins at Costco. A case would likely last a couple months in this house.

Yesterday, one of the window people called to check up on me. Since we don't have a framer until October, and I'm waiting on a quote from Direct Buy to see if it's worth getting a membership, I haven't placed a window order yet. So she gave me the name of a framer who can start immediately, for 40% less than the guy we booked. Hmm. The first dozen or so framers I talked to were just not available. So BIL offered to do it with one of his buddies. Apparently they did it on his last house, and they did it cheaper and faster than the crew on his other house a few blocks away. But then I got the quote from the guy who could start in 2 months, and his price shocked BIL, so we booked him. And now I have someone even cheaper. I've gone from not being able to get ANYONE, and now I've got 2 people less than BIL's estimate.

But I'm a little nervous about booking this guy. He's a little TOO cheap. But DH is panicking about the money, so saving that will help. And the window people have given him a glowing recommendation. But then, we may not even be ordering windows from them.

o

Amberm - ha, the decisions are tough. On the really cheap guy...He might be legit. Just talk to him, check references, etc. I hope he is for real.

o

Looks nice Autumn! I think you should make a pie with the raisins! That's a unique neighbor gift. Haha!!

Ran over to my place this afternoon and almost ran smack dab into my cabinets! I didn't realize that some had been delivered!!

o

Update on our front. We finally got the builder to finialize the spec/cost sheet to fit our budget. He was estimating some things way to high since this is a custom build and the first time he is doing this home. We were pre-approved on our loan so I took the final plans, spec sheet, cost sheet and signed contract to the bank yesterday.

They will be starting the appraisal process now and it may take 2 weeks. They did throw a curveball our way though. They want us to have our well water tested prior to closing on our construction plus loan. That would be great it there was electricity to the well, but we had'nt had the new powerlines run yet. So I call my well digger and he said that he would take care of it for us, but he'll have to do a flush and put clorox down it first to make sure there is no bacteria since we had the well drilled 2-1/2 years ago. That's how long this house building process has taken us to get to this point. So hopefully the water test won't take long and we'll be able to truck right along.

Prayers would be welcomed! With all that we're not even sure when we will break ground and our lease will be up the end of December and the cost to go month to month is crazy. So we may have to move in with my MIL which I don't think I can handle for very long.

Our builder said 4 months from framing to move in but we'll be in the middle of a midwest winter so who knows how many weather delays we'll have.

Everyones build and process is looking great and I can't wait to show our progress pictures soon I hope :)

o

Robyn - Getting cabinets is a huge milestone. Happy for you.

Renee - I pray a lot. I'll mention you...lol. I know I would need prayers galore if I had to live with my MIL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here