Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sriguduri

Where do you place the bathroom door?

sriguduri
10 years ago

We are wondering where to place the bathroom door in this guest bathroom. We want to have only 1 door - either right at the entrance from the bedroom (closet will be 'inside' the bathroom) or beyond the closet door and sink (as shown in the picture.

Thanks for the help.

Comments (6)

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I think the bathroom as shown has way too many doors. I'd go with one door in the spot that now appears to be an opening (at the spot where the bedroom and bathroom meet. I'd definitely want the whole bathroom shielded behind the door. As it's drawn now, a person in bed would hear someone running the water during the night.

I'd also rearrange the bathroom items in such a way that the bathroom would be all in one room. As it is now, you have three separate items in three separate rooms. Imagine you go into that long narrow room to use the toilet; then you have to touch the doorknob before reaching the sink to wash your hands. Yuck.

Benefit: Putting things into one room means you'd have natural light available for the whole bathroom.

I'd also bump the closet to the far end of the bathroom. Why? Because you use the bathroom multiple times per day, whereas you probably only use the closet once per day (and a guest might not use it at all); thus, it doesn't deserve the most immediate, best spot in the design.

I'd also rotate the bed so that when you walk into the room, you see the foot of the bed. This does put the bed under a window, but it's the most attractive viewpoint for the bed. Also, it means that people on both sides of the bed can get up and walk straight to the bathroom. As it's drawn now, the person on the far side must walk around the bed to reach the bathroom.

• diydesigner
    10 years ago

How about a pocket door to the toilet area? Leave the door where it is shown to the main toilet area. It's a good plan - the shower door won't look that way in glass (but I would consider swing it the other way) plus if you use a frameless or upgraded shower enclosure it will swing both out and into the shower.

• sriguduri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@MrsPete - I completely agree with you that there are way too many doors as drawn and that was the first thing I told the architect. This has since been modified but I don't have the updated plan. We changed the stand-in shower into a tub and moved it parallel to the wall at the far end of the bathroom. Toilet is now on this side of the window and there is no separate door for the toilet. So there are going to be 2 doors - 1 for the closet and the other being at the entrance to the bathroom.
    Unfortunately, closet cannot be moved because of the window in it and side elevation.

@diydesigner - not a huge fan of pocket door especially at a high traffic area like a bathroom and this is no longer a stand-in shower as stated above.

As of now, we are leaning towards having 1 door right at the entrance into the bathroom because of the 'yuck factor' as stated by MrsPete.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

I would also consider making the vanity in the guest bathroom wider and the vanity in the hall powder-room smaller.

Overnight guests often have hairblowers and toothbrushes and curling irons and vitamins and all sorts of makeup and other personal bathroom supplies that they want/need to spread out by the sink. A wider vanity top is almost a necessity or the guest has to either leave everything in the bedroom and run back and forth, or set things down on the lid to the toilet which they might be rather loath to do.

Meanwhile, most people using a powder room just need the sink to be a place to wash and dry hands. At most, they may also run a comb thru their hair or refresh a lipstick. So the powder room vanity really doesn't need to be particularly wide.

Something like this would also give you place right inside the powderroom door for a hand-towel bar (sketched in red).

Note that I also flipped the guest bathroom closet so that it's door is further from the bathroom entry door.

Then, if you really wanted the toilet and tub to be separate from the vanity area, you could extend the wall beside the toilet on up and have a door swing into the tub/toilet room without any of the three doors interfering with another.

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

i like bevangel's suggestion/sketch.

definitely door where bedroom meets bathroom

• sriguduri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@bevangel - Thanks a bunch for the illustration. This makes much more sense. Will discuss changes in vanity with DW.