Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Board and batten - which rooms?

jenswrens
12 years ago

As I peruse so many home decor blogs these days, I keep seeing board and batten everywhere. It's really attractive, looks relatively easy and makes a huge design difference in some of the rooms I see.

Question is, if I wanted to do it, *where* would be most appropriate? Living/family room? Master bedroom? Study? Just one room or more than one room?

I've seen it in all kinds of rooms from bedrooms to playrooms to laundry rooms, etc. How does one choose where to put it?

Comments (10)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

It depends on what 'look' you're going for, in your home. If it's very rustic or cottage style, you could do it in the living room. If not, maybe keep it for the laundry room. What area would look best, in your home?

I like a cottage style, so I'd probably use it in the living room or dining area. Here's one of my favorite pictures, which would be wonderful for a little girl's room. Hope this helps :)

{{gwi:1491443}}

• lyfia
    12 years ago

When you say board and batten do you mean what looks like craftsman style paneling?

Here is a link that might be useful: Images of craftsman style paneling

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

That picture looks like v groove or something similar on the ceiling and shiplap on the walls. Board and batten is something you see outside quite a bit and not quite as much inside.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

lavendar lass's photo is NOT board and batten!

I have only seem board and batten OUTSIDE.

• jenswrens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, lyfia, I guess that's what I'm talking about. Craftsman-style wainscoting. The bloggers are all calling it board and batten. Like this:

• jenswrens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If you google "board and batten rooms" the first 20 or so hits are the decor bloggers and their DIY projects. I guess they don't know what it's really called!

That must also be the reason when I searched for board and batten photos on Houzz, all I got were exterior shots!

So, any ideas? Which rooms?

Here is a link that might be useful: Google board and batten

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Wow, what you're talking about is MUCH fancier than what I was thinking...I guess you lost me at laundry rooms. People really do that fancy Craftsman wainscoting in laundry rooms?

Jenwrens- I think your dining room picture is beautiful and I would use something like that IN the dining room. IMHO, a little bit of that goes a long way, but if you really love it, maybe use it in an office/library. It's beautiful and will look great in your home :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Well, we are doing panel wainscotting (not craftsman style, regular panel) and we are doing it almost everywhere. Dining room, hallways, foyer, great room, leading up the stairs, and conservatory. We are not doing it in bedrooms b/c of cost, nor in the kitchen or sunroom because of lack of walls.

Personally, I would do some kind of paneling or molding in as you many rooms as you can afford and want to do it in. As a person who LOVES trim, I firmly believe you can never get too much when it is well done!

You can also mix it up and do it in different colors to lend different looks to it:
    {{gwi:1491447}}

{{gwi:1491449}}

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Now I'm curious...is board and batten always vertical? Many of the exterior doors and shutters that came up when I googled it, were vertical boards (much like paneling) with a few horizontal cross pieces. Is this also board and batten?

Here is a link that might be useful: Board and batten door...third down