Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greenhouse addition

Posted by lavender_lass (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 19:06

I've been hoping to include a greenhouse, in my farmhouse renovation, but it sounds like they can be a lot of trouble and expense. Would it make more sense, to have the greenhouse addition on the southeast side of the detached garage (which will have a breezeway to the house) and a screened porch with the house?

Since we have such long winters, I was hoping to have the porch be a glass/screen combination...so we can use it as a mud room in late fall, winter and early spring. As the weather warms up, it would be wonderful, to use the screens and have a bug free area to eat and sit out, in the evening.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Thanks for the input :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greenhouse addition

We had a green house window on our kitchen we built in 1987. Got a nice tax credit at the time. Over the period of 20 years we had to replace the curved glass pieces (4 total) due to cracks because of the house shifting. Each time it was about $750. So depending on the type of foundation and the amount shift due to weather or soil in your area the less attachment seems the best solution!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here