Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cintijen

Can anyone take a guess at this roof color?

cintijen
12 years ago

I'm trying to make the dreaded shingle color decision. We've based our color scheme on this house, using deep green siding, darker brown shakes, similar color ledgestone, cream trim, but with dark bronze windows. I like this roof color but I can't decide for sure what I think it is.

Does this look like your roof or a color you're familiar with?

{{gwi:1491260}}

All suggestions welcome! Thanks so much!

cintijen

Comments (10)

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Definitely looks like someone's Weathered Wood. Lots of people make a shingle called that and they all look roughly the same but it looks a lot like this one to me by GAF Elk.

I had to google for you because I had SUCH a terrible time with the roof!!!! If you aren't sure, I would have a roofer put up several different shingles on your roof and choose based on your environment. Exposure, etc. can make a difference. There are also standard architectural shingles and Max Def (same colors but more variation).

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cintijen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Athens,

I thought you might reply because I know you were having a hard time choosing a few weeks back! I think it's probably weathered wood, too, but the weathered wood (Certainteed) house address I got here locally is a brick ranch with a flat-ish roof so I don't think I'm getting a solid read on the color. Maybe I should ask for other addresses and for GAF weathered wood specifically.

Our rental has Owens Corning Driftwood and I think it looks similar to this picture but close up none of these shingles look like the pictures. You're right about getting some up on the roof. Gotta do that quickly as roofers are scheduled for end of the week.

Thanks again, this is my hardest decision (so far). ;-)

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

We had 6 different shingles put on the roof. I am sure it cost us something but we love the roof we got - it is perfect. It was worth it to get the right roof since we will be living with it for 20 plus years! Good luck!

• cintijen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This definitely falls under the category of things not easily changed. Thanks for the advice!

• JMphoto
    12 years ago

Cintijen, I figured you may be looking for some pic examples. We have GAF weathered wood on our home. Here are some pics that may help you.
    Before siding

Just about finished

• cintijen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

JMphoto,

Thank you so much, that is very helpful! You made a great choice-the roof and siding look really good together.

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose GAF over other brands? Better definition, dimension, price, etc? Our builder has used all different brands in the past so doesn't have a strong opinion about one brand in particular. It seems like every manufacturer has a version of this weathered wood color.

Cintijen

• JMphoto
    12 years ago

Your welcome. Glad it helped. We actually did not choose the brand, that was the brand the builder preferred. We just picked the color. He said he liked the look of the GAF and he used the Timberline HD lifetime shingles. We trusted his opinion on it since he seemed to really research his materials and did not skimp on items he used, plus we are happy with the look. He also used the Titanium UDL instead of the traditional felt paper. Good luck with your build.

• cintijen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I went to the supplier and picked up several of GAF weatherwood and Certainteed weatherwood as well as GAF Mission brown. I definitely prefer the GAF. Although I can see the granules are the same colors in both weatherwoods, the GAF seems more dimensional, if that makes sense. Going to get them up on the roof tomorrow with siding and shake samples and hope we can pick the winner!

• TWINCREEKS
    12 years ago

JM: Great pics! Looks really nice! Congrats! We are going with the same exact roof you did. Weathered wood GAF is preferred by our builder and seems to be a popular choice according to him. You really can't go wrong with this roof from the reviews and the looks of it. I think we are making a good choice just as you did. :) Thanks for posting those pics - it was helpful to me too!

• cintijen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just thought I'd report back that we, too, are choosing GAF Weathered Wood. Thanks to athensmomof3 and JMphoto for all the help!! Shingles go up this weekend so I will try to remember to post after photos on this thread. :-)