Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice for new construction security camera system?

Posted by BAVE (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 18:22

Does anyone have advice or experience to share relating to camera systems for a new construction?

The system we were offered from the installer doing our alarm, audio, etc. includes wiring up 8 locations but including 4 cameras, 8 channel DVR, 19 in LCD monitor, and wiring to a second location (master bedroom television) for $1600 or so. However, I don't have the details on the cameras themselves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice for new construction security camera system?

We did camera at the front/rear door entrance which turn on with motion/doorbell ringing. I have attic access to the sides of our house so I will run wire for cameras on each corner of the house and one for the little one's room as well. Cameras for indoors aren't bad and not that expensive to get a good image. You can pay decent money for a camera that you can see images on but if you want a camera that is detailed and per say can identify a burglar or what not they are very expensive and you will pay dearly. Exterior cameras are awhole different ball game and the high end cameras are definitely not be in the $1,600 price quote received.

Hope that helps!

o

I have a good bit of experience dealing with the security cameras for our gated community. DH is on the Board and has the program on his computer, so I'm the one that gets to update, etc. For you to be able to see details at night, you'll either need excellent lighting or an infrared camera. If you have one entrance/exit, you could zero in on the exit to catch car tags.

o

We opted for an 8 camera system with 8 channel DVR. The 8 cameras have 700 TVL Sony CCDs. The system has remote access, LCD monitor and additional runs to televisions in the family room and master BR. Total cost was $2500.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here