Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lacieannie

"Four Gables" by Mitchell Ginn

LacieAnnie
10 years ago

My husband and I are planning a build next year and I was hoping for input on Mitchell Ginn's "Four Gables" plan. We are looking for a classic farmhouse feel and I love the porches on this one. We would like to put it on a basement though, and I wonder if it is worth it to take away from the laundry room for the staircase or if I should find another solution?
If anyone has seen this plan built or if you have pictures it would be greatly appreciated! I have looked at thousands of plans and I am trying to narrow it down. If anyone has pictures of "Stone Creek" I would appreciate those as well. Thank you!

http://mitchginn.com/house-plans/2341-sq-ft-�-four-gables/

Comments (421)

• ingridtm
    6 years ago
    Susan - that looks fantastic! Did you make changes to the floorplan? Looks like maybe a mud room in the back??
  • Susan Gibbs
    6 years ago

Thank you @ingridtm , yes we changed the back of the plan quite a bit. We extended the back out and from the side we have a laundry/mud room with 1/2 bath in the stone connector part of the house from the carriage house style garage.

• Ashley Walker
    6 years ago

C N can you email me the house plans with the Revisions? Ashley.walker919@yahoo.com

• ingridtm
    6 years ago

Does anyone know if there is a Four Gables group on Facebook?

• ingridtm
    6 years ago

Did you guys who made changes to the plan with an architect or drafter/designer purchase the inexpensive pricing set of plans or the more expensive PDF plan set?

• Nick
    6 years ago

@Susan Gibbs - I really like your modifications. My wife and I have been trying to work through trying to include an attached garage and what you have looks great. Did you extend the kitchen into the connection between the house and the garage or is just a mudroom/bath?

Would you be willing to share any more pictures of the interior layout? Thanks!

• Joey Dale Dronett
    6 years ago

@Susan Gibbs.... would you please share your interior pics or actual floor plan with me???

• Susan Gibbs
    6 years ago

@ingridtm we purchased the plans from Mitch Ginn directly- the full set and had a local draftsman draw up all of the changes I wanted made. @Nick @Joey Dale Dronett -we extended the entire back of the house out so that living/dining/ areas are all a few feet larger going out to the back of the house. The connector space to the garage is laundry/half bath. We are just finishing up the framing and may have more pics as we go along. You are welcome to follow @farmlivinginspades

• Sam Kessler
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My wife and I are building a Four Gables house in south central Kentucky. We are having the roof put on this week. Whenever we got our bids, we were looking to be in the $100/sqft range (with a standing seam metal roof). However, our floor plan grew close to 2600 square feet and we have a 1000 sq ft garage and workshop attached, so this is just for the house. I think our garage came out to be around $30/sqft with electrical inside but no insulation/drywall, etc.

• Dana P
    6 years ago
    @e_c_b do you happen to have any photos you'd be willing to share? Your home is beautiful!
  • Dana P
    6 years ago
    My husband and I are hoping to build in the next year or so, and I absolutely love this plan. I emailed Southern Living today and asked for the floor plan to the basement, has anyone done this basement, this way?
  • ecochran
    6 years ago

Dana P, if you buy the plan, the plans include the basement.

• jatasum
    6 years ago

Has anyone vaulted or partially vaulted the living room and done away with the upstairs playroom? It looks like the dimensions won't work, but several of you seem very creative.

• Diana Woods
    6 years ago

We have looked into it and the builders/architects say it is possible.There could be a railing and balcony looking down onto the living room. We haven't decided yet what to do. We might leave the playroom and make it into an art studio.

• Melody Gilleran
    6 years ago

Jatasum, I have seen someone on Instagram recently who did that. I'll see if I can find them again.

• Sam Kessler
    6 years ago

jatasum, you would be looking at around a 25-30 ft ceiling if you vaulted all the way up to the rafters. I do think it would pose a challenge visually since the room kind of connects to the dining area and "hallway". To make our house feel more open, we were able to use engineered beams and i-joists to hold up the second floor. It was more expensive, but we got rid of all of the headers and columns.

• pattymculbreth
    6 years ago

@jatasum if you look at @farmlivinginspades and @showmefourgables on instagram they both have vaulted the living room and it looks amazing! It’s definitely doable.

• Amelia Bowman
    6 years ago

Sam Kessler, we are looking to build in South Central KY within the next few years and I have several questions! For starters, do you mind sharing which builder you used? If not on here, feel free to send me a private Facebook message.

• Susan Gibbs
    6 years ago

@pattymculbreth thank you! Yes we made several changes and vaulting the living area was one of them! :) @jatasum feel free to check it out @farmlivinginspades

and I also love @showmefourgables

• ohwhatabeautifulmorning
    6 years ago

Susan..showmefourgables...is this the correct name/address? Im not seeing anything with this address. Thanks!

• Ellie Miller
    6 years ago

Hi! So I love this home plan...but my husband and I are trying to keep our square foot at about 2000. Has anyone changed it to go smaller?

Anisa- if your still reading these comments I would love to even just drive by your house. We are in Lake City and I head to Jacksonville for shopping and such regularly. My email is miller.ellie@gmail.com and you can email me if you wouldnt mind me creeping by.

• Susan Gibbs
    6 years ago

@bellinghambythebay I am so sorry - I just saw your comment here, it is @showme4gables

• ohwhatabeautifulmorning
    6 years ago

Thanks so much Susan!

• darlalsparks
    6 years ago

Has anyone modified upstairs with only one bathroom?

• Melody Gilleran
    6 years ago

We modified to one bathroom upstairs. The two baths in the original plan were tiny & had the pony walls also. It made our closets larger also. We moved the bath to the back & cut down the playroom size. I'll try to post a screenshot of the plan later.

• pattymculbreth
    6 years ago

@C n can you tell me the dimensions of your half bath?

• Joey Dale Dronett
    5 years ago

@SusanGibbs... did you eliminate the upstairs "playroom/bedroom" completely to have the vaulted living room?

• Monica Hart
    5 years ago

Just finished plan with architect to make modifications...turned center hall into rec room and vaulted the ceiling in the bedroom with the 3 windows. Getting ready to get quotes from builders and concerned a little about the price...

The modifications we made are similar to the Four Gables featured in country living a few years back.

• Susan Gibbs
    5 years ago

@Joey Dale Dronett yes- we eliminated the back bedroom- and made several other changes

• Sarah Lawson
    5 years ago

@Sam Kessler Where are you all in South Central KY? We are in Williamsburg. Considering Four Gables and would love to see it in person.

• ecn107
    5 years ago

@Melody Gilleran can you share your screenshot? thanks!

• Melody Gilleran
    5 years ago

@ecn107

Hope this helps. I think we enlarged the main footprint a little too. Its been a while since I looked at the original plan. Made our pony walls taller so we didn't lose all the dead space under eaves. We ended up moving shower wall to back of the space on top right of screenshot, there isn't that dead area anymore since we increased height

• Dana P
    5 years ago
    Has anyone changed the upstairs floor plan to incorporate a jack and jill bath in the loft between the two front bedrooms? Then adding an additional full bath in the playroom/bedroom?
  • tigerlily0888
    5 years ago

@monica hart

Im interested in seeing your plan if you’re willing to share. I’m also concerned about the price. However, there are several changes I would have to make to fit my budget.

• Joey Dale Dronett
    5 years ago

@SusanGibbs... out of all of the 4G houses I have "followed"... I believe yours is my fave!!! Is there ANY way that you would share a snapshot of your floor plan?! I love how you connected the carriage house to the farmhouse!

• Nick Hayes
    5 years ago

Hello! I've had several roofers quote me oddly large square amounts for the roofing price on this plan. Can anyone tell me what the total square foot amount you've gotten from the plans just so I can compare apples to apples? Thanks so much!

• Susan Gibbs
    5 years ago

@Joey Dale Dronett Thank you so much! You can see more @farmlivinginspades on Instagram. :) If you have more questions just send me a direct message there. I check it more than I see posts here.

• Joey Dale Dronett
    5 years ago

Has anyone modified this plan to have more bedrooms on the first level???

• Mikaila Cloutier
    5 years ago

Has anyone modified this plan to move the master bedroom to upstairs and make the downstairs bedroom an office/playroom?

• Alex Rodriguez
    5 years ago

Recent build in Canton GA.

• Chuck Hooten
    5 years ago

We purchased the Four Gables plan and have gone a different direction. I am selling the PDFs for $750. Paid over $1000 Email thechuckhooten@gmail.com.

• Leslie Hixson
    4 years ago

@alexrodriguez where is your recent build in Canton? My husband and I would love to drive by and actually see a four gables built. Email: lesliebhixson@gmail.com

• Dina Miller
    4 years ago

@C n

Love, love, LOVE your rendition of this house plan. We are looking to build this on our farm in Asheville. Currently live in Alpharetta. Was wondering if you might be free for a discussion on the plan, your build out and modifications you love/wish you had done.

Please email me at your convenience- dina.miller.srsinc@gmail.com

Thanks, Dina

• Gretchen Luebbert
    4 years ago

We are just about to move into our four gables house, you can check out some of the progress on my instagram @appelgl. I modified the downstairs laundry to be a utility room with dog bath, enlarged the pantry, we have a walkout basement, and one bath upstairs with 2 vanities. Our square footage is right under 2400.

• Kayla Yawn
    4 years ago

Has anyone changed the roof pitch to 12:12 and have comments on what the bathrooms and closets would be like?

• Haley Arnold
    3 years ago

Does anyone know the size of the windows on the original plan?

• Marie Thorp
    2 years ago

Those that have reoriented the living room with the fireplace at the back and center, how did this affect the bedroom above, apart from diving the windows?

• Marie Thorp
    2 years ago

*dividing

• syed Madah
    last year

On our property in Asheville, we want to construct this. presently residing in Alpharetta. Was wondering if you might be available for a conversation about the design, your construction, and any alterations you love or wish you had made.

• PRO
    KTSoft
    10 months ago

Thank you, @ingridtm. We did make significant changes to the plan's back. We stretched the rear out, and in the stone connection portion of the home that connects to the carriage house-style garage, we have a laundry/mud room with a half-bath.