Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txjack

Custom Build - Floorplan Feedback Requested

TXJACK
9 years ago

Hello Friends,

We are undertaking our first ever build and wondered if anyone had feedback, suggestions, critiques, etc of our plans.

See links below

Thanks so much!

This post was edited by TXJACK on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 23:58

Comments (11)

• TXJACK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*** See links to Second Floor below ***

This post was edited by TXJACK on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 11:21

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Generally speaking, people aren't going to want to have to upload a file to comment on a floor plan. I suggest you take your pdf and put it onto photobucket or similar, and then post it directly into your thread so we can see it without clicking through a link, and for sure without having to download anything.

• TXJACK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I tried that but no matter what I did, the PDFs come out too small to read. I will try again.

• TXJACK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First Floor

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by TXJACK on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 23:54

• TXJACK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See below

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by TXJACK on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 0:00

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I will come look more closely tomorrow, but so people know, you can see larger if you downloan from the first posts. But, this puts the plan in the thread so people can skim easier.

This is a very expensive, but fairly well laid out plan. My first question is why do you have 2 doors off the deck/outdoor kitchen deck into the home at 90* to each other? If it were me, I'd close off the one that opens into the nook, and keep the one into the hallway, so that the nook is more usable.

Even in the largest image, I am having trouble figuring out the location of the fridge and other appliances.

Where do you plan to eat your main family meals? Dining room or nook?

• lmccarly
    9 years ago

It's a nice plan. I love the outdoor space and the Nanawall.

I see you are in TX, but I would still want more closet space for coats, etc. I would consider taking the back space of the pantry and making a closet accessible from the laundry. That pantry is huge, I don't think you'd miss the space from there.

On the second floor, love that you added another W/D. Double check the closet sizes, they look a little narrow.

• TXJACK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

Re the door - the thought was to have direct access to pool bath and a shorter path to the kitchen through another door - good idea to reconsider if we only need one

Re kitchen - the rangetop and double over are on the right wall; two dishwashers in the island (it's 6 feet by 12 feet); double column all fridge/all freezer is on the bottom wall, as well as microwave and steam oven

We eat all our meals in the nook; never use the formal dining

I will doublecheck the closets.

If anyone else has further comments/suggestions/criticisms, please let me know.

This post was edited by TXJACK on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 17:59

• TXJACK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A few tweaks as we continue to refine

(1) I think we will increase the size of the secondary bedrooms upstairs - 16 x11 and 15 x 13 seem a little tight once we fill with furniture.

(2) I'd like to increase the width of the family room maybe another 4-5 feet.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Cool house. Everything is so open and gracious that I wonder why the master bedroom entry is squeezed into a little corner of the living room? This house is made for entertaining, and a little separation would be appropriate. I think I'd like to shrink the bathroom a bit (it's quite expansive), shift the powder room, and have the master entry off the front hall.